The Student Room Group

Do you think having a timetable actually help you improve in your studies?

So I don't know about you but I always have teachers and adults going on about making a revision/study timetable. I made one in year 11 and I think it did help but I know I didn't really stick to it for long, and I did make the timetable very late in the year and I'm not sure whether it made any drastic changes to the way I study. I want to know,

does having a timetable really help? is it effective and do you find you do better if you have a set timetable?

Obviously, the main point of it is for it to be helpful! Especially near towards exam times but I'm not sure, I just wanted to know whether it helped or helps you. And I'd love to know if you have any better or different ways of studying and revising :smile:
Reply 1
I never liked making timetables for the entire week. I just wouldn't be able to stick to it.
Instead when I'm in super revision mode, I like to make a quick timetable in the beginning of the day. So plan out what subjects/topics at what time etc. It just makes the day more structured and I feel like I'm getting things done. And its great a feeling at the end of the day when you've done everything.
Reply 2
Original post by sleepytime
I never liked making timetables for the entire week. I just wouldn't be able to stick to it.
Instead when I'm in super revision mode, I like to make a quick timetable in the beginning of the day. So plan out what subjects/topics at what time etc. It just makes the day more structured and I feel like I'm getting things done. And its great a feeling at the end of the day when you've done everything.

I agree. It tends to be hard to stick with the timetable completely but having a timetable helps.
Reply 3
Original post by jcao03
So I don't know about you but I always have teachers and adults going on about making a revision/study timetable. I made one in year 11 and I think it did help but I know I didn't really stick to it for long, and I did make the timetable very late in the year and I'm not sure whether it made any drastic changes to the way I study. I want to know,

does having a timetable really help? is it effective and do you find you do better if you have a set timetable?

Obviously, the main point of it is for it to be helpful! Especially near towards exam times but I'm not sure, I just wanted to know whether it helped or helps you. And I'd love to know if you have any better or different ways of studying and revising :smile:

Unequivocally yes. It doesn't matter if you make the timetable and then don't stick to it because, say, you realise you need to spend more time on maths than you anticipated. The point is it's there to provide you with a guideline on how much work you should be doing. If you don't make a timetable you had just better be really good at getting yourself to work of your own accord. But people without timetables do tend to revise fewer hours.
I've made timetables right from GCSE days to my current Uni studies. Yes, I never stick to a timetable completely, and it is flexible and I sometimes swap things around, but it means I can plan which days I have off and give me the motivation to lean on the days I've dedicated to revision. It means I do not spend too much time on one module whilst neglecting the rest because I ran out of time. It gives me a set goal to achieve and if you have some self discipline and a reasonable timescale for everything, then I am sure you can mostly stick to a rough timetable.

You can try it and see if it works to you. If you are not sticking to your timetable at all (allow for some flexibility) you either have put too many subjects in one day or it doesn't motivate you to follow it.

Hope that helps.
Reply 5
Thanks for all of your replies, guys! I totally agree. It's hard to stick to a timetable and I guess I got to be more flexible with it, but obviously not too flexible. I think I'm gonna have another attempt at making another timetable and I will try my best to stick to it. It seems like it is worth having one :smile:
Reply 6
Well personally it does help me, because if you leave it open as to when you'll study, it may not happen, but if you have scheduled times you are more motivated.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
Timetable? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with this term. Could you please elaborate a little

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending