The Student Room Group

Extremely worried I won't get student finance :(

The story cut down short.

For the past 2 years I've been working in Australia temporary as part of a gap year, I now decided want I really want to study in university to further my horizons. My dad works abroad for a big company in Japan and has always been for the past 25 years and coming back and forth the UK (my dad is a british born citizen). My mother has been working in a store in the UK for the past few years. Just a few months ago my parents got a Divorce and so my Dad stayed in Japan to save money and continue work while my mom moved back to Japan to live with family.

Now I have no close family in the UK and apparently your parents need to be living in the UK paying taxes for me to be eligible for any type of funding. I just don't know what to do in this situation... Can anybody from student finance or anybody else help? :frown::frown::frown: I already have an unconditional offer to go to UCL if that helps. I just want to tear up thinking the thought of not being able to go to University because of not being eligible for student finance.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't know anything about this but I hope it all works out for you Kim :console:
Reply 3
Thanks for the responses, though the student finance website does not give enough information :frown:
Reply 4
bump :frown:
Is there a direct contact line? I seem to remember ringing them and speaking to someone at Student Finance England. It should be on the website, either at the bottom or on a "Contact Us" page. I would get the links for you, but it's a bit tricky on my phone!

Anyway, just ring up and be persistent, until you get through to someone. Good luck, hope all goes well for you!
Reply 6
You may also be eligible if your residency status is one of the following:

EU national, or family member of one.

Are you an EU national? I would think you are.
Reply 7
Some quick questions that may help me to give you an accurate answer:

- When was the last time you lived permanently in the UK?

- When was the last time your mother and father lived permanently in the UK?

- Are you under 25?

Presuming you was born in the UK and lived there for more than 3 years, you would be classed as a UK/EU national.

If you was not born in the UK, or have lived in the UK for less than 3 consecutive years, then you would be classed as a international student.
Reply 8
Original post by daryl1
Some quick questions that may help me to give you an accurate answer:

- When was the last time you lived permanently in the UK?

- When was the last time your mother and father lived permanently in the UK?

- Are you under 25?

Presuming you was born in the UK and lived there for more than 3 years, you would be classed as a UK/EU national.

If you was not born in the UK, or have lived in the UK for less than 3 consecutive years, then you would be classed as a international student.

Well I was born in Japan but moved to the UK when I was two and have lived there ever since, got citizenship from father. For the past 18 months I've been living in Australia on a work holiday visa, I spoke to student finance last year and said I would be eligible if I prove I did not leave the UK permanently and was only away temporary (which I was since I'm on a visa in Australia, did not abandon my citizenship). However because of my parents divorce it's muddled things up for me, I have no father nor mother in the UK just an Aunt and cousins. The last time they were in the UK both of them was around half a year ago...

I'm 21 and I have a British passport so... I don't know :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Kimimpossible
Well I was born in Japan but moved to the UK when I was two and have lived there ever since, got citizenship from father. For the past 18 months I've been living in Australia on a work holiday visa, I spoke to student finance last year and said I would be eligible if I prove I did not leave the UK permanently and was only away temporary (which I was since I'm on a visa in Australia, did not abandon my citizenship). However because of my parents divorce it's muddled things up for me, I have no father nor mother in the UK just an Aunt and cousins. The last time they were in the UK both of them was around half a year ago...

I'm 21 and I have a British passport so... I don't know :frown:

Hmm it is a tricky one! I suggest calling student finance England if you can as they will be able to fully help you with this
Original post by daryl1
Hmm it is a tricky one! I suggest calling student finance England if you can as they will be able to fully help you with this

I would ask for their answer in writing. That way, if they say the OP can get finance and she's then rejected, she can then show them the information someone else gave her.
It sounds to me like you'll be OK. Have you tried this website? This is the Student Finance England one -

http://www.sfengland.slc.co.uk/full-time-study/new-students/are-you-eligible.aspx
Lol na you'll neve get student finance...unlucky champ.
Original post by Atheism
You may also be eligible if your residency status is one of the following:

EU national, or family member of one.

Are you an EU national? I would think you are.

If you're an EU national you need to have been living in the UK for a past amount of years (either 3 or 5, it was one of those for me).
Reply 14
I have lived in the UK and EU pretty much all my life. I heard the rule with your parents being in the country etc only have problem with the maintenance loan and not the tuition fee bit is this true?
Reply 15
You lived in the uk prior to Australia, right? You need to provide a copy of the temporary visa to demonstrate the time abroad was temporary. Your parents don't need to be living in the UK. If you'll be applying for grants, one of your parents will have to provide divorce papers and financial info, but you'll be fine as long as you can demonstrate temporary leave of residence.

Edit: apply early, though, and make sure you speak to someone at SF: the parents abroad question on the application will trigger a request for information, and you may need to provide this with an explanation of the situation.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending