The Student Room Group

Rear ended by another driver

I was sat at the give way line at the roundabout, just started crawling a couple of inches forward literally 1/2mph and then THWACK some guy hit me up the arse.

I have damage to my rear bumper, broken offside rear light, and the boot lid is dented as well as the tailgate now being bowed. Someone has checked out my car it'll cost £250 to fix/replace parts/paint.

At the scene he was quite intimidating (I am a 5ft1 20 year old so not exactly scary looking) and was trying to make out I would have to pay for everything despite it being his fault.

I have looked him up on various databases and now have his insurance details, address, home and mobile numbers and full details of his car.

I have given him two choices; pay me the £250 or I will go through his insurance.

He is being a pain and wants to come and see my car because he doesn't think it is that damaged. If I didn't have a spare tyre which stopped the tailgate from going inwards any further my car would be written off. His headlights are smashed up and his bumper was a little damaged on one side and he is claiming his car is "completely undriveable" in his words.

Basically I have said he can see my car if he really must but he keeps messing around and I am getting sick of it. Getting really tempted to just phone up his insurance company. He doesn't know that I have all of this information on him.

(He has a 1995 vauxhall tigra so not really worth much, I have a fiat seicento 2001 so not worth a lot either but probably more than his car.)
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
oh matron.
Obvious bumming jokes aside....:ahee:

His fault so he'll have to pay up either way. It was really just a courtesy letting him pay direct and not through his insurance - if he's going to quibble about the amount I'd just tell him you can't be bothered and take it to his insurance co. Maybe give him one last chance to pay as it will solve you some hassle.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Gummibaerchen
I was sat at the give way line at the roundabout, just started crawling a couple of inches forward literally 1/2mph and then THWACK some guy hit me up the arse.

I have damage to my rear bumper, broken offside rear light, and the boot lid is dented as well as the tailgate now being bowed. Someone has checked out my car it'll cost £250 to fix/replace parts/paint.

At the scene he was quite intimidating (I am a 5ft1 20 year old so not exactly scary looking) and was trying to make out I would have to pay for everything despite it being his fault.

I have looked him up on various databases and now have his insurance details, address, home and mobile numbers and full details of his car.

I have given him two choices; pay me the £250 or I will go through his insurance.

He is being a pain and wants to come and see my car because he doesn't think it is that damaged. If I didn't have a spare tyre which stopped the tailgate from going inwards any further my car would be written off. His headlights are smashed up and his bumper was a little damaged on one side and he is claiming his car is "completely undriveable" in his words.

Basically I have said he can see my car if he really must but he keeps messing around and I am getting sick of it. Getting really tempted to just phone up his insurance company. He doesn't know that I have all of this information on him.

(He has a 1995 vauxhall tigra so not really worth much, I have a fiat seicento 2001 so not worth a lot either but probably more than his car.)

Ring your insurance company, that's why you pay for it.

Chances are your NCB will be protected if he is found to be in the wrong.

Thats what happened to my mum when some heavy footed moron drove into the back of her car.
Reply 4
Go through the insurance, it's not worth the hassle dealing with people like this on your own :nah: He drove into the back of you, he's at fault so get the insurer to sort it out. I don't even know why you're sitting around thinking about this, it's a simple common sense decision :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Phone your insurance company, not his. Your insurance company will contact his and sort it all out for you. That's what you pay them for. And I wouldn't risk trying to settle it the way you are thinking. If during the repairs the mechanic finds some other fault and you have already agreed to the £250 then it's unlikely you'll get the rest without much more hassle. Any legal issues are all sorted out by your insurance company, and everything is above board. Doing it this way is the norm, so don't think you are being unreasonable or anything.

And that he said his car is undriveable is completely irrelevant. He drove into the back of you. It's his fault. If he can't control his car properly then that's his problem. Not sure why he is moaning about that. Don't let him see your car, he's clearly a moron.
man i wish i was in the car with you when it happened lol we would be rolling in it
Someone drives into the back of your car = not your fault. Always the driver behind's responsibility to maintain a set distance and be alert enough so that they can stop safely should you have to break (regardless of the speed).

Go through your insurance, like has been said if the mechanic uncovers other issues and the £250 doesn't cover it you could be screwed. He's being an arse anyway, so why protect him?
OP: generally dealing with accidents which cause minor damage without going through the insurers is fine IF the other driver is not a total nob.

In your case, you should: Ring your insurers and get them to deal with it. Accept no more communications from him. If he comes to your house to "look at the damage" he will only cause you hassle. One call to your insurance company and they will look after it.
Original post by SebMurphy
Ring your insurance company, that's why you pay for it.

Chances are your NCB will be protected if he is found to be in the wrong.

Thats what happened to my mum when some heavy footed moron drove into the back of her car.

You lose your NCB (some or all of it) as soon as a claim is made regardless of fault. Unless they are protected but you need a minimum of 4 years for that.

Just give him an ultimatum OP. If he tries to lie he will be found out as it is obvious from the damage it is his fault. In future even if met with a moronic driver, always take pics of the accident as evidence and the reg as a minimum. But you got all the details so no worries there.
Reply 10
Original post by Potential Trigger
You lose your NCB (some or all of it) as soon as a claim is made regardless of fault. Unless they are protected but you need a minimum of 4 years for that.

This is completely wrong!!

Your NCB is not effected by a non fault claim. You do however have to declare it when you renew your insurance and a no claim fault can lead to a small increase in premiums (my insurer added on £30 when I mentioned that I settled privately with someone who'd driven into my car).

As people have said, get your own insurers involved ASAP. If there are any shenanigans then it looks suspicious if you wait to get them involved.
Original post by KCLeblanc
This is completely wrong!!

Your NCB is not effected by a non fault claim. You do however have to declare it when you renew your insurance and a no claim fault can lead to a small increase in premiums (my insurer added on £30 when I mentioned that I settled privately with someone who'd driven into my car).

As people have said, get your own insurers involved ASAP. If there are any shenanigans then it looks suspicious if you wait to get them involved.

It's hard for them to recover ALL of the costs from the other insurance company especially as this driver sounds like an arse. I think there would be some NCB reduction.
Reply 12
It's hard for them to recover ALL of the costs from the other insurance company especially as this driver sounds like an arse. I think there would be some NCB reduction.

The OP was rear ended at a junction. The other driver is obviously entirely at fault.
Original post by KCLeblanc
The OP was rear ended at a junction. The other driver is obviously entirely at fault.

Insurance companies themselves advise people to never admit fault because they don't want to fork out money for both repairs. Rest assured, this driver and his company will try and get a 50/50. Even though rear end collision is blamed on the driver behind, it can be disputed.

Basically if I was her, I would not claim unless I have protected NCB and if the driver is flat out refusing to pay. I would try and settle it privately.

I have seen a few of these things go pear shaped from others experiences.
Ok thanks everyone I'm going to go through insurance as he's being a pain in the ass.

Yes I know it's common sense but when someone is pressuring you and very intimidating it can be hard to make a decision. I have 3 years unprotected no claims and up for renewal next week hopefully the people that say ncb aren't affected are right!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Insurance companies themselves advise people to never admit fault because they don't want to fork out money for both repairs. Rest assured, this driver and his company will try and get a 50/50. Even though rear end collision is blamed on the driver behind, it can be disputed.

Well let's see what happens to the OP. But I've never heard of an acident like this ending in a 50 50 settlement.
Claim whiplash. Say your in pain and when you turn your head, there's a sharp pain in your neck. You'll get 5 grand easily, maybe more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Gummibaerchen
Ok thanks everyone I'm going to go through insurance as he's being a pain in the ass.

Yes I know it's common sense but when someone is pressuring you and very intimidating it can be hard to make a decision. I have 3 years unprotected no claims and up for renewal next week hopefully the people that say ncb aren't affected are right!

Good idea :tongue:

word of advice, instead of going through databases in future, try to get as many details as possible from the driver :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by MrWhosane
Claim whiplash. Say your in pain and when you turn your head, there's a sharp pain in your neck. You'll get 5 grand easily, maybe more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Classy guy
Original post by wibletg
Good idea :tongue:

word of advice, instead of going through databases in future, try to get as many details as possible from the driver :tongue:

He wouldn't give me the details that's why I had to go through databases. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending