The Student Room Group

Great dictators: Who's your favourite dictator?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by quaveralien
"favourite dictator" :hmmm:

Yeah! They get way to much stick! Time to praise our beloved oppressors for once!
Reply 41
What about Jean-Bédel Bokassa. The guy took over the Central African Republic, and in 1976 changed the country into a kingdom with his self as king. Needless to say his coronation used up all of the money and aid in the entire country; one which at the time (and still is) one of the worlds poorest and most impoverished. He even invited presidents and prime ministers from around the globe, but none of them turned up haha!

He was pretty insane...If you didn't have a job, then you'd go to jail, you could only play the tom-tom (a type of drum) on the weekends, and he set up a "morality brigade" to keep nightclubs and bars in check. Also he gave himself a new name after his coronation: "Emperor of Central Africa by the will of the Central African people, united within the national political party, the MESAN". Also he apparently took part in tourturing and executing people, sometimes even for fun!
Tsar Nicholas II for his great sense of humor :evilbanana:
It's got to be Stalin. Depending on your definition of a dictator, maybe Cromwell.
Reply 44
kim jong il- the man never had to poop!!
Reply 45
Hitler.
Reply 46
Father Saddam :h:

Evil Western pig dogs waged a Holy Crusade against his peaceful sovereign nation on the back of some cock-and-bull story about WMDs which was obvious BS before things even kicked off. Brought down a wealthy, stable regime with a world class healthcare and medical system, all for some gloopy black stuff to make gazillionaire Texan stereotypes even richer and to ensure that Americans can still drive their 4ton pickup trucks that do 3.2mpg when driven at 10mph with the air-con switched off.

Such BS.
Idi Amin, of Uganda, is pretty cool. I mean everyone with a title like "His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular" scores highly on my dictator list. He possessed every PhD possible and yet claimed that Uganda had defeated Britain in a war for independence.

Other than that, Jean-Bedel Bokassa is quite the chap. All dictators should have coronations like that :biggrin:.
Reply 48
Kim Il Sung, who is still the President of North Korea despite the fact that he's been dead for 18 years.
Reply 49
Original post by Arbolus
Kim Il Sung, who is still the President of North Korea despite the fact that he's been dead for 18 years.

Very true. How many people get to rule their country with absolute authority after their death? Not many, I should imagine.
Original post by Crimson_King
Idi Amin, of Uganda, is pretty cool. I mean everyone with a title like "His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular" scores highly on my dictator list. He possessed every PhD possible and yet claimed that Uganda had defeated Britain in a war for independence.

Other than that, Jean-Bedel Bokassa is quite the chap. All dictators should have coronations like that :biggrin:.

You missed 'King of Scotland' from his title. :wink:
Reply 51
Queen Elizabeth II
Reply 52
Original post by asmaamahamud

I'm sure I've read that he liked to play hide and seek competively till he was about 30... While running the largest country in the world.
Reply 53
In terms of shaping the world as it is today, I would say the greatest dictator of all time is Genghis Khan. His military campaigns resulted in the deaths of an estimated 11% of the world's population at the time (more than 40 million people) and approximately 1 in 200 people alive today is descended from him.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by asmaamahamud

Original post by BRFCMATT
In terms of shaping the world as it is today, I would say the greatest dictator of all time is Genghis Khan.

I'm pretty sure leaders before 1914 are mostly not referred to as dictators, as before the 20th century monarchies were by far the most common form of government on the globe.
Original post by S.R
Thanks for the map incase I have never ever seen the Roman Empire before.....

Easy to conquer places when you have the full might of a massive empire that others spent their life building behind you. Rome wasn't that powerful in Caesar's day and he had others within Rome working against him unlike guys like Trajan who had supreme authority over everyone. Yet Caesar conquered more than Trajan did and it stayed Roman for longer than Trajan's possessions did. It's like saying Bush is a greater military leader than Washington because Bush easily steamrollered over Iraq and Afghanistan. Bush had the fully developed might of America behind him when he attacked some tinpot dictatorships whereas Washington had a bunch of rebel colonies and still managed to beat off the world's most powerful empire and found a country.

Okay, America did steamroller Iraq, but not Afghanistan. No empire has ever conquered Afghanistan ever.

But yeah, favorite dictator has to be a toss-up between Putin and Hitler. Except i'd argue that Putin is my favorite because he maintains power so efficiently and without the need for holocaust or such-like.
Churchill... think about it... never actually elected under popular vote :loony:
Reply 57
Muggabe
Castro
Gaddaffi
Reply 58
Original post by ch0llima
Father Saddam :h:

Evil Western pig dogs waged a Holy Crusade against his peaceful sovereign nation on the back of some cock-and-bull story about WMDs which was obvious BS before things even kicked off. Brought down a wealthy, stable regime with a world class healthcare and medical system, all for some gloopy black stuff to make gazillionaire Texan stereotypes even richer and to ensure that Americans can still drive their 4ton pickup trucks that do 3.2mpg when driven at 10mph with the air-con switched off.

Such BS.

Yeah lets just forget about the whole Kurd gassing thing!!!

I quite enjoy the fact that Francois Duvalier tried to persuade everyone he was Baron Samedi as if being the spirit of death is a good thing ?

I will never forgive Mao for what he did to sparrows :frown:
Reply 59
Original post by redferry
Yeah lets just forget about the whole Kurd gassing thing!!!

That was a whole 15 years earlier and came at the end of the Iran/Iraq war. Two years passed before Operation Desert Storm so I hardly think this incident, as shocking as it was, had much to do with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending