The Student Room Group

Returning to college at 22 years old?

Hello all,

I need peoples thoughts about mature students going back into education in my case Sixth Form college.

I am 21 years old and for the past year and a half I have been searching for a job in the graphic design/ Visual arts industry but so far have had no or very little luck. As I only have a part time job in retail ( which I have been doing for a mind numbing four years) I have decided to go back to my college to study A Level graphics and Photography in september 2013 to enhance my skills which should benefit me in my search for a job.

I already have 3 A Levels and a foundation diploma in Art and design and have been told I could get into University quite easily but I have decided not to yet.

It is the same college I finished in 2010 and so I know the tutors and the college well. However, when I start in september 2013, I would of just turned 22 years old and everyone else will be 16 / 17 which does un - nerve me a little ( more of the social side to it)

Has anyone from the UK had an experience of this and do the younger students take any notice of how old you are?

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Mark91
Hello all,

I need peoples thoughts about mature students going back into education in my case Sixth Form college.

I am 21 years old and for the past year and a half I have been searching for a job in the graphic design/ Visual arts industry but so far have had no or very little luck. As I only have a part time job in retail ( which I have been doing for a mind numbing four years) I have decided to go back to my college to study A Level graphics and Photography in september 2013 to enhance my skills which should benefit me in my search for a job.

I already have 3 A Levels and a foundation diploma in Art and design and have been told I could get into University quite easily but I have decided not to yet.

It is the same college I finished in 2010 and so I know the tutors and the college well. However, when I start in september 2013, I would of just turned 22 years old and everyone else will be 16 / 17 which does un - nerve me a little ( more of the social side to it)

Has anyone from the UK had an experience of this and do the younger students take any notice of how old you are?

Thank you.

I don't understand why you want to go back to college ? I don't see the point. If you already have your A Levels and a foundation diploma in art/design then why not just applying through UCAS now for a BA in photography or fine art somewhere now? If you don't want to go to a big university I'm sure your local college would do a BA? If you don't want to do a 3 year BA you could always do a foundation degree (only 2 years). I don't think you need to return to school to do a photography A Level. I think that's a bit of a waste of time and money. You are beyond A Levels now. Another option could be to get a job as a photographer's assistant or an internship somewhere? To be honest I think even something like that would be a lot more useful that an A Level - which is designed for a 16 year old!

If you want to get a job in the creative industry then getting a degree from a good design school will set you in good stead. You'll definitely fit in - as there are always various ages of people. You'll network and make good contacts through your uni and get some fantastic opportunities. This will make you far more employable and your uni will probably help you find work after your graduation! Portfolio reviews and interviews for the BA's aren't generally until Feb/March. So if you choose your choices now and apply you'd have until early next year to get together your portfolio from your foundation course :smile:

EDIT: Also if you're worried about A Level grades - places like UAL in London (which is great for Graphic design) only ask for 1 GCE A Level pass! They really couldn't care less about your grades as long as your work is what they are looking for and you can articulate yourself fairly well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by arty
I don't understand why you want to go back to college ? I don't see the point. If you already have your A Levels and a foundation diploma in art/design then why not just applying through UCAS now for a BA in photography or fine art somewhere now? If you don't want to go to a big university I'm sure your local college would do a BA? If you don't want to do a 3 year BA you could always do a foundation degree (only 2 years). I don't think you need to return to school to do a photography A Level. I think that's a bit of a waste of time and money. You are beyond A Levels now. Another option could be to get a job as a photographer's assistant or an internship somewhere? To be honest I think even something like that would be a lot more useful that an A Level - which is designed for a 16 year old!

If you want to get a job in the creative industry then getting a degree from a good design school will set you in good stead. You'll definitely fit in - as there are always various ages of people. You'll network and make good contacts through your uni and get some fantastic opportunities. This will make you far more employable and your uni will probably help you find work after your graduation! Portfolio reviews and interviews for the BA's aren't generally until Feb/March. So if you choose your choices now and apply you'd have until early next year to get together your portfolio from your foundation course :smile:

EDIT: Also if you're worried about A Level grades - places like UAL in London (which is great for Graphic design) only ask for 1 GCE A Level pass! They really couldn't care less about your grades as long as your work is what they are looking for and you can articulate yourself fairly well.

I don't want to go to university, I don't want a huge amount of debt. I feel students are far too pressured into going to university. I know people ( not all of course ) go to university as a cop out to finding a job and that is a fact.

I know people from work who have degrees in all sorts of areas ( arts included) and where are they.....still shelf stacking.

Trust me, I have contacted many photographers and design companies asking if they need an assistant or if they offer internships. A lot say they are not getting enough work to justify having me. It probably would be a lot useful as it is first hand experience but I simply cannot get one!
It has already been a year and a half of basically doing nothing and unsuccessful job hunting. I don't want to to do another year of nothing again due to fact I cannot find a full time job so I might aswell enhance my skills during that time .

If I find a job next year then great, I wont bother going back to college. Going back to college is a back up plan which I think is good to have .

Also, what if I do a degree in graphics and a few years down I realise that it was not for me..?

I appreciate your advise though :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Mark91
I don't want to go to university, I don't want a huge amount of debt. I feel students are far too pressured into going to university. I know people ( not all of course ) go to university as a cop out to finding a job and that is a fact.

I know people from work who have degrees in all sorts of areas ( arts included) and where are they.....still shelf stacking.

Trust me, I have contacted many photographers and design companies asking if they need an assistant or if they offer internships. A lot say they are not getting enough work to justify having me. It probably would be a lot useful as it is first hand experience but I simply cannot get one!
It has already been a year and a half of basically doing nothing and unsuccessful job hunting. I don't want to to do another year of nothing again due to fact I cannot find a full time job so I might aswell enhance my skills during that time .

If I find a job next year then great, I wont bother going back to college. Going back to college is a back up plan which I think is good to have .

Also, what if I do a degree in graphics and a few years down I realise that it was not for me..?

I appreciate your advise though :smile:

I don't understand what you think you're going to gain from the A Level though? Have employers actually said an A Level in photography would make all the difference? I did an A Level in photography originally - and they don't really teach you anything technical - it's more like a fine art A Level where you basically just muck around taking pictures and creating sketchbooks to answer a task kind of think. Then for the exam we spent 5 hours for the AS and 15 hours for the A2 sticking the photographs we had taken into a sketchbook. The whole thing was utterly pointless and I've never actually heard of a graphic design A Level. Does that actually exist? I'd of thought that would come under Art and Design - which is extremely broad. Considering you have already done an Art and Design foundation you would already have had the option to do graphic design in the initial rotation bit on the foundation course (if you didn't do it within A Level art). You sound like you're repeating things you've done before and going backwards.

My advice would be forget about an A Level. If you definitely do not want to do a degree then look into a proper vocational course at a college or art school. Somewhere you're going to actual gain skills which can help you start a career in graphic design/photography.

I don't mean to sound harsh but after reading your post I don't honestly see how a photography A Level is going to get you any further than you are now! :/

In response to your bit about shelf stacking and degrees... yes the job market appears to be very tough at the moment. Getting a degree does by no mean guarantee you a job. However I think that the people who end up in Tesco after going to university are a certain type of person. If you have a good degree from a respectable university, good experience and you're flexible about your first gradate job it's very likely you'll get a job somewhere!
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi, even though im only 19 i returned to college after a years work search. Like you i was really nervous about returning because of my age BUT i love it, theres a variety of ages from 16 - 20 so nobody really cares.
However i would suggest really thinking about it because its 2 years of your life. If its something you really want to do then do it now if not then personally i wouldnt bother.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yes I spoke to some designers and they said it would be beneficial The graphic design A Level would be probably more beneficial than the photography ( although every graphic designer will use photography and manipulating images at some point) but what I forgot to mention was I have to choose three courses. I cannot just choose Graphic Design. I have always had a passion and strong interest in photography because i enjoy it but I realise becoming just a photographer is a tricky buisness and can be very hit and miss so by becoming a graphic designer, artworker etc I should stand a better chance.

Perhaps you did not enjoy photography as much as you thought you would which may be why you have a negative view on it? Perhaps on its own it may be useless but with another visual arts subjects it would be beneficial.

A Level Graphics course does exist although only at a handful of colleges I have seen. At my college, it is only couples years old but it has been recieved very well I think. Foundation was a a mixture of 3D, textiles, graphics, fine art. I was very keen in 3D but more than half way through I changed to graphics so I did not really learn that much. I was very undecisive at foundation in what i wanted to do.

The Graphic Design course includes things like Package Design,printmaking,photography, branding, logos etc. In all the visual arts subjects I have studied, I have not done anything like that except for learning a few things online.

Everyone takes different paths in the end and what they feel is suitable for them. You Arty might think ( I could be wrong) that £9,000 uni fees per year is not that bad, whereas I think it is absurd! If fees were considerably less, I would think about university.

Yes, unfortuantely the visual arts industry is a tough nut to crack and the job market is very poor. Hopefully the industry will improve in the next few years.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Mark91
Yes I spoke to some designers and they said it would be beneficial The graphic design A Level would be probably more beneficial than the photography ( although every graphic designer will use photography and manipulating images at some point) but what I forgot to mention was I have to choose three courses. I cannot just choose Graphic Design. I have always had a passion and strong interest in photography because i enjoy it but I realise becoming just a photographer is a tricky buisness and can be very hit and miss so by becoming a graphic designer, artworker etc I should stand a better chance.

Perhaps you did not enjoy photography as much as you thought you would which may be why you have a negative view on it? Perhaps on its own it may be useless but with another visual arts subjects it would be beneficial.

A Level Graphics course does exist although only at a handful of colleges I have seen. At my college, it is only couples years old but it has been recieved very well I think. Foundation was a a mixture of 3D, textiles, graphics, fine art. I was very keen in 3D but more than half way through I changed to graphics so I did not really learn that much. I was very undecisive at foundation in what i wanted to do.

The Graphic Design course includes things like Package Design,printmaking,photography, branding, logos etc. In all the visual arts subjects I have studied, I have not done anything like that except for learning a few things online.

Everyone takes different paths in the end and what they feel is suitable for them. You Arty might think ( I could be wrong) that £9,000 uni fees per year is not that bad, whereas I think it is absurd! If fees were considerably less, I would think about university.

Yes, unfortuantely the visual arts industry is a tough nut to crack and the job market is very poor. Hopefully the industry will improve in the next few years.

Well if you think it's your best option then go for it. But if you had already made your mind up not too sure what the point of this thread is.
In regard to the age issue - I think you'll fit in fine. I don't think it really matters if a guy is a few years older, but I think it's different for girls.
Reply 7
Hey :smile:

I just thought I'd add in that although Photography and Graphic Design A levels would be a good qualification to get, there are way more options out there than simply doing A levels or doing a degree.

I personally feel that more vocational courses are better for creative subjects - simply because you get to learn the technical aspects alongside the theoretical experimental aspects of design etc. So maybe you could do a BTEC in Photography or Graphic design, or a more broad and varied BTEC in Visual Communications or something. That way, there will be no university debt and you'd still be able to pursue your original plan of going to college, but you'll be able to get a more well rounded and vocational qualification.

My cousin did building surveying at university and then did a complete U-turn and decided he wanted to be a graphic designer. He did a three month course somewhere in London that was quite an intense course but he works full time now as a Graphic designer, and his new employer said they were "very impressed that he had achieved that level of skill without a graphic design degree" so there ARE other options out there and ways into the industry.

Best of luck to you. :smile:
No problem at all you can join UIU's Adult Students programs.
Original post by clintoncerejo
No problem at all you can join UIU's Adult Students programs.

Website you have?
I want start study again I'm 21 years old I gone be 22 soon I'm Portuguese but I live in London but try last year in college and they say I need pay but unnerved study in here
Reply 11
Original post by Mark91
Hello all,

Thank you.

Can you not do an access course?
I know these aren't accessible everywhere, I travel a 4 hour round journey for mine.
I'm 22 years old with a five year old child, going back into education really scared me. But I've been doing an access course since September now and have made friendships that I think will last a lifetime!
I've been recieving university offers, and never been so excited! definitely best thing I did!
Original post by Kay53
Can you not do an access course?
I know these aren't accessible everywhere, I travel a 4 hour round journey for mine.
I'm 22 years old with a five year old child, going back into education really scared me. But I've been doing an access course since September now and have made friendships that I think will last a lifetime!
I've been recieving university offers, and never been so excited! definitely best thing I did!

The original post is from 2012! It's been dragged up for some reason.
Original post by Mark91
Hello all,

Thank you.

In my opinion I don't think you need to do them A-levels.

What I'd do in your situation:

1. Start Building up a Portfolio of your work (You can offer graphic design / Photography for free or very cheap just to initially build up the portfolio)

2. Set up a website and upload your Portfolio and write your contact details, also mention the locations you can travel to and your Rate of pay.

3. Print up some business cards with your name, what you're offering, your contact details and make sure the design of the card reflects your talents!!!

4. Networking - go to as many graphic design/photography clubs/seminars/meetups etc or even to any event to offer photographs to people and talk to people!!! Casually let them know what You can offer them and then Exchange Business Cards (Remember to take their card too!!).

5. ??

6. PROFIT
Heya, I've closed this thread as it is super old :smile: If you want to talk about this you can make a new thread here. :woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending