The Student Room Group

Lesson 14 and I still suck ass royally

I have just had my 14th lesson today.I had a 5 week break because I couldn't handle the stress of the nerves caused by the thought of my lessons.

I bit the bullet and got back on the horse today.It was scary at first and I stalled like 5 times...I messed up twice at roundabouts and didn't change gear fast enough.He still has to prompt me 40% of the time to go down to 2nd gear for sharp corners and turns.

Tomorrow I have 2 hours and I'm rather nervous but excited too.I just wished I didn't stall so much.I have terrible clutch control :frown:

I keep on hitting the brakes then putting the clutch down to change gears at traffic lights or crossings...instead of just clutch down and change gear.Poor footwork is gonna cost me bigtime.I was hoping to have learned most of my stuff by lesson 30.At the rate I'm going,it;ll take at least 40 expensive lessons.

Where were you by lesson 15? Had you done dual carriageways and manouveres? I've only done reversing and turning in the road. We always go upto 5th gear and 70 miles per hour in every lesson.I am learning on tight country roads and little tight village roads so I'm fairly confident I will be a safe driver (once I get the hang of changing back down to second quickly)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xev bellringer
I have just had my 14th lesson today.I had a 5 week break because I couldn't handle the stress of the nerves caused by the thought of my lessons.

I bit the bullet and got back on the horse today.It was scary at first and I stalled like 5 times...I messed up twice at roundabouts and didn't change gear fast enough.He still has to prompt me 40% of the time to go down to 2nd gear for sharp corners and turns.

Tomorrow I have 2 hours and I'm rather nervous but excited too.I just wished I didn't stall so much.I have terrible clutch control :frown:

I keep on hitting the brakes then putting the clutch down to change gears at traffic lights or crossings...instead of just clutch down and change gear.Poor footwork is gonna cost me bigtime.I was hoping to have learned most of my stuff by lesson 30.At the rate I'm going,it;ll take at least 40 expensive lessons.

Where were you by lesson 15? Had you done dual carriageways and manouveres? I've only done reversing and turning in the road. We always go upto 5th gear and 70 miles per hour in every lesson.I am learning on tight country roads and little tight village roads so I'm fairly confident I will be a safe driver (once I get the hang of changing back down to second quickly)

Isn't this illegal?

EDIT: In Northern Ireland it is, learners can only go up to 45mph in lessons and for 1 year after passing the test ('R'/Restricted driver period). I simply assumed it would be the same everywhere but obviously not :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
? On Dual carriageways and motorways can do National Speed limit which is 70mph.

I'm super confident at very high speeds but am crap at 20-30miles per hour.Isn't it ironic?
I passed last week and I have never used the fifth gear in any of my lessons. I struggled with clutch control as well and gear shifting at the first 10 lessons tbh. I found learning in a diesel is def more forgiving though than a petrol. It takes longer to learn in a petrol and master it. I learned all my manvrs apart from the bay park in my first 10 lessons. By lesson 15 I had done the bay park wasn't good at it and still I am not but I can do it. The first 10 were difficult for me but after that it got progressively easier, I passed in 22 lessons. I would give this advice to pretty much all drivers who want to pass as quickly as they possibly can, LEARN IN A DIESEL. Once you pass you can learn how to drive a petrol, it won't take you long either since you know how everything works pretty much. What I did at traffic lights was slow down a bit depending on the situation, clutch down and change into what gear was needed. take it to 2 then adjusted it to one or if I had to slow down quickly I would change to 1 and skip 2.

By lesson 15 I was just perfecting my driving really and understanding the road a bit better through anticipating/planning a bit better on what to do....judgement basically. Mechanically I could operate the car well enough but when it came to the things which involved me using initiative I wasn't ready. Around lesson 18 on wards I was on point, my 20th lesson was my best lesson and lesson 21/22 (if you count the lesson on the day) were pretty crap..well lesson 21 was awful, lesson 22 I drove well until there was a car that I should have given way to that I didn't and my instructor had to slam on the breaks and give me an earful. This was on the test day as well, 15 minutes before the test. He also showed me how to do an emergency stop like 5 minutes before the test lol for the first time.
I probably sucked ass on my 14th lesson too. In total, I probably had around 70 lessons before I passed my practical test (well, that's just a wild guess; I can't actually remember the exact figure now). Some people just take a bit longer at these things than other people. Don't stress and don't worry, just concentrate on progressing at your own pace :smile:. And try not to take breaks or give up because it'll only take you longer to learn in the long run.

How often are you having your lessons? Everyday? Having them too often can be too intense for some people. I had about two lessons each week and that worked well for me :yep:
? On Dual carriageways and motorways can do National Speed limit which is 70mph.

I'm super confident at very high speeds but am crap at 20-30miles per hour.Isn't it ironic?

Uhm, dual carriageways with central reservations, yes.

Motorways? Uhm, what are you doing on a motorway?

In relating to what you're experiencing, I felt that I had to rush going down to 2nd because of people behind me, felt wrong that I was slowing down so much but that's what you have to do, brake smoothly and shift before turning as to not cruise into the corner.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Uhm, dual carriageways with central reservations, yes.

Motorways? Uhm, what are you doing on a motorway?

In relating to what you're experiencing, I felt that I had to rush going down to 2nd because of people behind me, felt wrong that I was slowing down so much but that's what you have to do, brake smoothly and shift before turning as to not cruise into the corner.

Hi I should have been clearer...I havent been on ANY motorways...LOL.That would be crazy and probably illegal.No just your average garden variety dual carriageways.

I understand the last bit of what you wrote. The whole having to go down to 2nd gear smoothly but quickly.Sometimes my instructor tells me that I can stay in 3rd gear when turning a gentle corner but I can never tell which corners dont need to go down to 2nd???
Hi I should have been clearer...I havent been on ANY motorways...LOL.That would be crazy and probably illegal.No just your average garden variety dual carriageways.

I understand the last bit of what you wrote. The whole having to go down to 2nd gear smoothly but quickly.Sometimes my instructor tells me that I can stay in 3rd gear when turning a gentle corner but I can never tell which corners dont need to go down to 2nd???

Yea, it's a tough one, usually uphill or 90 degree angle and I'd personally be looking at 2nd. but slow down first, if 3rd seems to be spluttering or jolting then you know you need to shift down.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I probably sucked ass on my 14th lesson too. In total, I probably had around 70 lessons before I passed my practical test (well, that's just a wild guess; I can't actually remember the exact figure now). Some people just take a bit longer at these things than other people. Don't stress and don't worry, just concentrate on progressing at your own pace :smile:. And try not to take breaks or give up because it'll only take you longer to learn in the long run.

How often are you having your lessons? Everyday? Having them too often can be too intense for some people. I had about two lessons each week and that worked well for me :yep:

I was trying to have at least 4 hours a week in the beginning,then I took my little "nervous breakdown" 5 week break. I want to try to aim for 2 hours per week.Hopefully by lesson 40 in Early February I should be able to do some mock tests. This whole driving business is sooooo expensive.

Well done on passing.You got there eventually.
Reply 9

don;t worry i have had in excess of around 60 lesson and in the process of preparing for a test, ironically i am more scared that i will embarrass myself and not be able to read a plate from 20 metres
Original post by tellme1
don;t worry i have had in excess of around 60 lesson and in the process of preparing for a test, ironically i am more scared that i will embarrass myself and not be able to read a plate from 20 metres

LOL its sometimes the menial things that freak us out the most.

I had another lesson today and we reviewed roundabouts again.Wow did I suck ass at turning left but was alright at turning right. I kept forgetting to steer left straight away as soon as I entered the roundabout and then indicate left. LOL MSM jus leaves my mind as soon I enter the roundabout.

Good luck with your test prep.
To be honest, I was messing up quite a lot right up until my test. I think it really does just need to "click" one day for you - it took me AGES for this to happen. I remember just waiting and waiting for it to happen and really trying to keep on going!
Reply 12

Hi, Keep practising and maybe if by lesson 25 or somthing you still have problems then maybe perhaps change to an automatic??????
Reply 13
LOL its sometimes the menial things that freak us out the most.

I had another lesson today and we reviewed roundabouts again.Wow did I suck ass at turning left but was alright at turning right. I kept forgetting to steer left straight away as soon as I entered the roundabout and then indicate left. LOL MSM jus leaves my mind as soon I enter the roundabout.

Good luck with your test prep.

by the way if you are having problems with the clutch, maybe you need to ask your instructor to have an extenion for the clutch fitted so its higher so you can control it better. Normally its only a problem if you are very short but at 5 foot 9, i still had problems with my clutch for the maneuvers but the last couple of lessons have been much better
(edited 11 years ago)

Okay it must be different in England, in NI the maximum speed learner drivers can do is 45mph :tongue: hence why I was like 'what are they doing?!' haha.
Original post by snailsareslimy
Okay it must be different in England, in NI the maximum speed learner drivers can do is 45mph :tongue: hence why I was like 'what are they doing?!' haha.

Ah I see...its probably a whole lot safer to be honest.I do think its silly to have learners cruising at seriously high speeds especially when the capacity for fatal accidents is exceptionally high.

I suppose its a damn good thing I'm very comfortable at 60 miles an hour.Although there was this one sharp left turn where I went down to 2nd gear did the turn but the road was still 60 miles an hour so I had to speed up gradually but quickly otherwise I would have pissed off traffic behind me.Thing is it was a winding country lane with side roads on it....I was like thinking what if a horse comes flying out or an overeager playboy with a hot maserati.

I just wish I could get the hang of roundabouts quicker. Today I only needed prompting about gears like 15% of the time so I'm improving significantly.

My next lesson is in 2 weeks time....I really dont want to wait that long though otherwise I might forget what a roundabout looks like.I know I cant go out on my own without someone who has dual pedals.Is it wise to have 2 or 3 lessons with someone else in the same driving school? I'm with AA so surely teaching styles wont be that different right?
Ah I see...its probably a whole lot safer to be honest.I do think its silly to have learners cruising at seriously high speeds especially when the capacity for fatal accidents is exceptionally high.

I suppose its a damn good thing I'm very comfortable at 60 miles an hour.Although there was this one sharp left turn where I went down to 2nd gear did the turn but the road was still 60 miles an hour so I had to speed up gradually but quickly otherwise I would have pissed off traffic behind me.Thing is it was a winding country lane with side roads on it....I was like thinking what if a horse comes flying out or an overeager playboy with a hot maserati.

I just wish I could get the hang of roundabouts quicker. Today I only needed prompting about gears like 15% of the time so I'm improving significantly.

My next lesson is in 2 weeks time....I really dont want to wait that long though otherwise I might forget what a roundabout looks like.I know I cant go out on my own without someone who has dual pedals.Is it wise to have 2 or 3 lessons with someone else in the same driving school? I'm with AA so surely teaching styles wont be that different right?

What formula do you use to measure that? :rofl:
Original post by Ice Constricter
What formula do you use to measure that? :rofl:

Its accurate to within 2 degrees of freedom :pierre:

H.R.derivatives.gif
I can sympathise with this.
I've had one crash and one near miss, neither my fault but its ruined my confidence behind the wheel.
Hey perhaps having one hour lessons instead of 2 may do you good? I had 2 hours and was exhausted by the end and then switched to 1 hour and realised that i got more done and better done!

BTW i don't think your slow for lesson 14, I was probably even worse so keep at it

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending