The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minerva
I don't have much to add to the answer someone posted earlier, except to say that people are often a bit disconcerted to be pooled to a women only college, but the general experience seems to be that it turns out very well in the end, assuming an offer is made. Transferring between colleges is exceptionally rare; my understanding is that in general terms the university strongly discourages it, so you would be looking at some significant reason for that to be allowed.

Your daughter should go to the interview with an open mind - she is likely to find that the college concerned appeals to her much more than she expects.

I know there have been threads about this issue before - try the Cambridge Colleges forum, here.

they way I read it the daughter hss already received the conditional offer. I guess that this does not make a difference to your answer. however it will come down to whst other options the daughter had at other universities if she really does not wish to go to a womens college.

I personally think that this is a really insensitive question to ask on this thread when the majority are desperate for an offer and lot of us still are. :mad:
Original post by SilverDawn
They did not fish lot of PBS applicants today, right? :h: That means we still have some hope! Either that or PBS fished people are keeping it a secret :K:

Good luck to everyone still swimming and congratulations to every rescued fish:smile:

Yeah only one so far on TSR. :smile: Hopefully, it will also turn out that a disproportionate number of PBS applicants fished will be fellow TSRians!
Which college were you pooled from?
Reply 1582
Original post by chaza4991
Has anyone been fished for Linguistics yet? Or know of anyone who has?
Thank you :smile:

I'm still swimming around and so far I have only seen 1 other linguistics person and they haven't been fished. Who pooled you?
Original post by Minerva
There are far far more candidates who have the potential to do well at Cambridge than there are places for them, so there is a need to look across all applications and benchmark them in some way, which is what the pre Christmas meetings do, and the Pool process continues this, for candidates who could go either way. Colleges do look for slightly different things - you wouldn't have the variation in practice around admissions tests, for instance, if they didn't - so it's not necessarily a case of Emma palming off on Girton people who are good but not top-flight (by Cambridge standards, of course).

In the end, as almost anyone in this thread would tell us, going to a different college from the one you had in mind at the beginning of this exercise is not the end of the world.

Kidioteque

It is indeed not the end of the world. However my original point was arguing the implausibility of Kidioteque's hypothetical situation where a candidate might be held by his preference college in "limbo" until that college has finished second round interviews. This is due to these things from the pool document:

1) Tags and strings, i.e. "Active Interest" by the preference college, expire at 5pm on the 3rd, by which time the college must change the file to "Offer" or "Interview". Therefore that college cannot reasonably tell the candidate he is still under consideration by that college after that time with no definite result.
2) The only "limbo" state after the pool closes is the "B" mark, for candidates to be considered after second round interviews. However only one candidate per college is allowed to be in that state and that college cannot be the preference college.

Hence from looking at the pool document I do not see any way for a candidate to be held in "limbo" by their preference college.
Reply 1584
Original post by Question Mark
I personally think that this is a really insensitive question to ask on this thread when the majority are desperate for an offer and lot of us still are. :mad:
Perhaps, but this is a stressful time for parents too, and if you are new to TSR (he probably found the thread through Google) you wouldn't necessarily know how to find somewhere more appropriate.
Original post by Econ1234
I got pooled from St Catharines College for economics and just got fished by Murray Edwards. :smile:

congrats. if you dont mind me asking what wss your ums? also how do you feel going to a women's college?
Reply 1586
Original post by henry.harrod
Minerva- How much contact have admissions tutors had with applicants on the Sunday after the pool? *In the past few years
Some - but there isn't a clear pattern. The best thing to do is just to go with the flow.... (yes, I do know how hard that is!).
wait, so realistically is it unlikely we'll be fished if we haven't heard by tomorrow (later today) ?

I know officially the cut off date isn't till later, but if the decisions were made during the pool process at cambridge I don't understand why we wouldn't be notified straight away (excluding those requiring re interview of course)
Can't sleep. I hope Cambridge realise how much this application actually means to us all.
Reply 1589
Original post by mick.the.fish
wait, so realistically is it unlikely we'll be fished if we haven't heard by tomorrow (later today) ?

I know officially the cut off date isn't till later, but if the decisions were made during the pool process at cambridge I don't understand why we wouldn't be notified straight away (excluding those requiring re interview of course)

Because it's less important than those who need to be arranged the dates for reinterview. Remember that last year they pooled around 3000 and 1200 got notified, I don't think they can contact more than 1000 in just a short afternoon while they still have a few days ahead to do that. I looked at last year's thread and came across some people who got offer (even by post) 4, 5 days later. The chances might get slimmer but it's still happening for those who got it. Basically what comes will come and there is no point calculating the chances as we can't tell anything exactly. You don't even know who's in the pool with you for your subject.

As far as I've observed, most of people today have been fished from those colleges that have quite few applicants compared to others (same as last year) and got many of their applicants from the pool. Mostly English, Med, History today (as reported in TSR). But then there are still many other colleges and many other subjects we haven't heard anything from.

What we can do now is to wait. And probably rest our mind for a bit!
Original post by _Georgie
Girton, if you didn't already see! Thanks, I'll probably need it. It's one half hour interview and I don't really know what to expect.

Just remain calm and you'll be fine. I wish you all the luck in the world and I hope you get the place you deserve. :wink:

Keep us posted!

PS: remember to bring enough money to buy a return ticket :tongue:
I have a plan. If we all donate we can raise funds and build a new college to make room for all us pooled applicants!

:biggrin:
Reply 1592
I have a plan. If we all donate we can raise funds and build a new college to make room for all us pooled applicants!

:biggrin:

But unfortunately the strong competition is what makes Cambridge (so desirable) lol
I was pooled by Christ's for HSPS. Not feeling too confident...
YES i have just got in from a night out and YES the first thing I did was check the emails...(i think i must be insane!!) still nothing..... :frown: :frown: anyone heard from bionatsci? :frown: Xx
Original post by honggau
As far as I've noticed, no. Only one so far.
I just have no idea what's coming next for all of us poolees.
And then tomorrow, when I wake up, check this thread, a lot will be fished out and still me hanging here. Oh that scenario... Just kill me.

Yes, I also noticed one only. Your scenario is scary! I am safe from it though as I have to be unavailable tomorrow from early morning, having an important exam, phone turned off:/ but I can see similar scenario happening in the evening and that is even worse:biggrin: maybe you will be surprised though and find some positive news in the morning, I really wish you luck:smile:
Original post by chocoholic_x
Yeah only one so far on TSR. :smile: Hopefully, it will also turn out that a disproportionate number of PBS applicants fished will be fellow TSRians!
Which college were you pooled from?

I hope you are right! :smile: I was pooled from Churchill and you? Also applying for PBS then I guess?
Original post by sarah-madeline
YES i have just got in from a night out and YES the first thing I did was check the emails...(i think i must be insane!!) still nothing..... :frown: :frown: anyone heard from bionatsci? :frown: Xx

Hey I'm reasonably confident that very few people have heard for nat sci

Especially so for everyone on TSR, and also from everyone I know who applied (not very representative :P)

I have a feeling they'll start coming through tomorrow!
Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Georgie
I'll be wishing for Girton to fish you, fellow ex-Pembrokian :tongue:
We can turn the Pembroke crew into the ex-Pembroke pooled to Girton crew

I'm seeing a trend of ex-pembrokians here!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I'm reasonably confident that very few people have heard for nat sci

Especially so for everyone on TSR, and also from everyone I know who applied (not very representative :P)

I have a feeling they'll start coming through tomorrow!
Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope sooooooooooooooo bad that i hear for them!!! Good luck for you too by the way! fingers crossed for us!
right im going to bed (finally!) before i turn into some wierd crazy obsessive person over this.................oh wait too late.......

night all, and i wish you luck!!!!!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending