The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i rarley drink but the lsst time i tryed .i had around 7 small glasses red wine .then a curry .i got home i was shaking so hard so so hard tremours i do otherwise have snxiety ocd all this an stuff .but it felt asthough my organs and blood tissiue was reacting to achocl .rather than my head .althought then my head started worring if i had achocl posining or poisined by curry .Either way couldnt sleep got terrible runs .but around 3 blankets on thought i was going to die .quickly reminded myself of why i dont drink and stopped in the first place .i drank from 18 to 29 years like on a night out .was never an achoclic .i realised then after i night out i felt like **** for around 3 or 4 dsys .so i stopped drinking .stopped weed at 24 .Tbh i just dont think my body can take stimulants .im very senstive .I was talking to an older person about these tremour shaking shiver.They said its was achoclic delerium .He said did i feel anxious to .I said yes .But my body triggerd anxiety .Rather than my brain triggering my body if that makes scense .if any makes scense because i carnt spell
I am 45 and have had this issue for years. It seems to have gotten worse as time goes on. When I was a teen, I could handle a drink or two without all of the shaking, etc. Someone mentioned it feels just like an anxiety attack but just in the body, I have to strongly agree. As I have gotten older and as of late, it only takes a few sips of wine to throw me into a complete spin. About 30 minutes after the first sip, my stomach starts to chirn, I end up in the bathroom (I will leave the details out here, but I'm sure you can guess and no.. I'm not puking, two sips of wine doesn't cause nausea or drunkenness). Then.. approximately 6 hours of shaking and teeth chattering. However, I don't feel cold, just annoyed. That being said, I do feel better and validated that this isn't just something that happens to me. I have asked doctors why this might happen and they all look at me in complete bewilderment. Nor do any of my friends understand why I refuse to drink. This issue is largely unheard of and honestly, now that I know I'm not the only one, I feel that someone should look into this.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 22
I get exactly this too, but the interesting part for me is, I used to be absolutely fine drinking and then about a year ago I was put on some antidepressants that made me start having panic attacks, I’m not on the antidepressants anymore or anything but since then if I drink even a single drink once I go to bed I start shaking and shivering, it’s not anxiety because I feel fine mentally I just can’t control my body, but it seems as if it may be related to anxiety because it wasn’t an issue for me until anxiety was
Reply 23
I feel like I’m late to this thread but I know EXACTLY how you feel. I used to be able to drink all the time in college without any bad symptoms except a headache the next day. Now, I’m in my late 20s and sometimes even 1 beer will cause it. I start shaking, feel nervous, sometimes my feet will feel numb or like there’s no blood flow, teeth chattering, it’s miserable. I’ve even gone to the emergency room for it. No one I’ve talked to, not even doctors, can understand or figure out the cause or solution. It’s not the same feeling as low blood sugar either. One of the only things that seems to help when it happens is a hot bath or sleeping with an electric blanket. The heat seems to relax the muscles from shaking. Around the same time this started happening to me, I also developed a sensitivity to caffeine. I can’t drink more than a few sips of coffee without my heart pounding and literally feel like I’m dying. I wish someone could figure out why this happens to us!
If you take a look at the digestive system and understand how the body metabolizes what it takes in, you may find the answer to your problem. I took a closer look at these things because I suspected I was becoming a Type 2 diabetic. Without going into too much detail, it sounds like your body is having issues processing the high amount of sugar/carbs that you're taking in from drinking. I would be very careful going forward with drinking because if your body cannot process these types of nutrients, you'll continue to do damage to vital organs, liver, kidneys, pancreas, ect. The key is understanding the mechanisms behind digestion and it's there you will find your answer. I did, and i'm healthier than ever. People are different, so what works for someone else, may not work for you. Again, understanding the digestive mechanisms is key.
(edited 4 years ago)
Wow I'm shocked reading this thread because I honestly thought I was the only one! Nobody can understand when I explain what alcohol is doing to me!

I used to drink heavily when I was a teenager and to be honest, dabbled in other things too. I would have the most horrendous hangovers lasting for days, sometimes even a week. All my friends would joke about it, I was famous for it.

Eventually I quit drinking and other things for a couple of years as I was bored of the pattern of partying and hangovers, probably from 19 until I was about 22. Then after this break, for a good few years I was able to drink on rare occasions, a sensible amount, but was still aware the hangover was a lot more extreme than others would have for the same amount of alcohol. But at least I could still partake in social events at this point.

However, when I was about 26/27 almost overnight I was unable to drink caffeine without feeling like I would actually die which was bizarre as I had been drinking tea and coffee since I was 15! Some days I'd drink 6 cups and energy drinks too. And then the same thing happened after ONE alcoholic drink. I'd feel a bit drunk for half an hour, then sober up rapidly and start shaking and teeth chattering, feel absolutely freezing cold, worrying I would die. The next 2 days I'd feel anxious, hungover and ill even though it was literally ONE DRINK.

I just cant understand it, I put my body through a LOT over the years and then suddenly I can't even tolerate a cup of coffee. It makes no sense and nobody understands it when I tell them. I've tried eating carbs, sugary things, water etc all the suggestions available basically and yet nothing works at all. I havent drank for 2-3 years now because of it, but I'm only 29 and it depresses me as I get invited to things often and have to turn them down.

I have been diagnosed as a coeliac since I was 19 and have read alcohol intolerance can be linked with this...but I was still able to drink until the last few years so don't know if that is the cause. I'd never want to go back to my days of extreme partying, I just want to feel like a normal person who can have a couple of drinks at a social gathering once in a while :frown:
Reply 26
I completely agree and your comment described my feeling to a tee. It’s so frustrating. I can barely drink a quarter of a cup of coffee without feeling like I’m dying and shaking. Same with alcohol, even with 1 beer sometimes. Shaking, out of body feeling, teeth chattering, freezing. I literally have to take a hot shower or bath or lay under an electric blanket to calm my body down. No one can figure out the cause and doctors have just brushed it off and say “then avoid alcohol and caffeine”. I’m like I DO BUT WHY IS THIS HAPPENING ALL OF A SUDDEN?! Ugh!
same with me last night, should i seek medical attention or is it just fine??
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 28
You could, I have. But no one has given me an answer. I even wore a heart monitor and got an MRI, bloodwork, everything. What I've been told is basically your chemical balance can change as you get older and you develop sensitivities that you may not have had before. I have found, that drinking silver tequila and soda instead of beer or drinks with a lot of additives, has been fine for me. I don't have the same reactions with tequila
I usually Have a drunk at least three times a week and have about 4-8 shots or a few mixed drinks. Tonighoght I lost count. But we did purchase at last two 43 dollar bottles and one 20 amongst 2 ppl then 4 at times. Anyways: I’m here because I’m shaking not throwing up. Since I came home smoked ate Taco Bell and 2 bottles of water. But I’m shaking lol it might just be cold in here
Reply 30
Original post by ruthmcman
This is not a hangover, this is not the result of sugary drinks, it is not the result of eating/not eating. I have this exact problem, and no one knows what it is. I don't even have to drink enough to be drunk, I can be completely sober but when I go to bed or start to fall asleep, I will shiver and shudder. I often have to make myself throw up to get it out of my system and to let myself sleep. It DOES feel exactly like an anxiety attack, but like only in your body! Like mentally, I'm totally fine! It's my BODY reacting! I know exactly the feeling you are talking about, and I am considering seeking medical attention because it IS really annoying and makes it no fun to go out with friends. I don't want to drink because it makes me feel like ****, but no one gets that and I end up getting pressured all night. Please don't minimize your problem because it's real!!

Have you figured out what this is?

I have recently just started getting the exact same thing! I’ll have 2 drinks on a night out and be deso driver then get home to go to sleep and I’ll start getting the shakes and chills, then need to go to the toilet and will eventually vomit. The doctor literally said nothing and just prescribed reflux medication, it’s so annoying!
This just started happening to me also. I don’t know if it’s the sugar. Last night I had 2 Corona seltzer no sugar and got really shaken. Took two Tylenol, water n went to bed. I usually drink only like 2 glasses a wine on weekends but this happened to me first time last Friday. It’s so weird. My face was flushed and and I was shaking uncontrollably. I have been on high blood pressure and high cholesterol med for a year small dosage never a problem. Does anyone know how to explain this.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest