The Student Room Group

The Oxford 2013 Results Day Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChoccyWoccy
Ah, I see :console:

Very sorry for you but good luck with anything else you do, whether it be Classics or something else :smile: :hugs:

Thanks - I love your little round huggy men :tongue:
Original post by isabellahellyes
Yes, it is awful. I will be ok but I'm sad for my family, especially my grandma who was so so proud of me :frown:

But I shall reapply but maybe to do Classics as I was 1 mark off an A* for that and resit my English and hope for an A. Which, a month ago, never in my wildest dreams did I think I wouldn't manage - now my confidence has been shaken a little. I will be fine, thank you all for your support over the last week with the remark and stuff :heart:

Oh boo, I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'm sure your grandma is still proud of you!

Take a bit of time to think through your options - don't know where else you applied but we're blessed in this country to have plenty of fantastic unis, and you might end up being very happy at one of them.

If you're dead set on Oxford, also consider resitting the paper and just going for English again. You either had a bad day or have suffered from some inconsistent marking - either way you shouldn't let this shake your confidence, or your dreams to do what you want to do. Either way, I think your plan of going over your script with your school is a good one.

Good luck for the future - you're taking this a lot better than I would, that's for sure!
Original post by shamika
Oh boo, I'm sorry it didn't work out. I'm sure your grandma is still proud of you!

Take a bit of time to think through your options - don't know where else you applied but we're blessed in this country to have plenty of fantastic unis, and you might end up being very happy at one of them.

If you're dead set on Oxford, also consider resitting the paper and just going for English again. You either had a bad day or have suffered from some inconsistent marking - either way you shouldn't let this shake your confidence, or your dreams to do what you want to do. Either way, I think your plan of going over your script with your school is a good one.

Good luck for the future - you're taking this a lot better than I would, that's for sure!

thankyou :colondollar: Wasn't brill yesterday but much better today x
Reply 2983
thankyou :colondollar: Wasn't brill yesterday but much better today x

What are you other universities Isabella?
[QUOTE="Noble.;44168333"]What are you other universities Isabella?[/QUOTE

Didn't have an insurance, as my other offers were A*AA (Exeter and Warwick) :s-smilie::s-smilie: oh dear ! *job hunting like a mad woman*
Reply 2985
What are you other universities Isabella?[/QUOTE

Didn't have an insurance, as my other offers were A*AA (Exeter and Warwick) :s-smilie::s-smilie: oh dear ! *job hunting like a mad woman*

Oh well, at least you don't have to make the decision as to whether to go elsewhere or reapply. :biggrin:

As for jobs, get signed up with some of the temp agencies in your area (local ones are better, I'd avoid Hayes, Reed etc. unless you see a specific job advertised with them)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
Oh well, at least you don't have to make the decision as to whether to go elsewhere or reapply. :biggrin:

As for jobs, get signed up with some of the temp agencies in your area (local ones are better, I'd avoid Hayes, Reed etc. unless you see a specific job advertised with them)

Yes I will, thank you. Although I'm trying to do something worthwhile for my NEXT personal statement - yawn :wink:
Reply 2987
Oh, that's a real shame. My condolences Isabella! Best of luck with your gap year and reapplying! :hugs:
Yes, it is awful. I will be ok but I'm sad for my family, especially my grandma who was so so proud of me :frown:

But I shall reapply but maybe to do Classics as I was 1 mark off an A* for that and resit my English and hope for an A. Which, a month ago, never in my wildest dreams did I think I wouldn't manage - now my confidence has been shaken a little. I will be fine, thank you all for your support over the last week with the remark and stuff :heart:

:'( it probably isnt much consolation, but at least you know within your self that you are good enough (ds well in Elat impressed at interview etc.) it seems it's the way English is exams that's to blame tbh. A couple of people who got ~100% got Cs this year and ended up with low As, at my school

Best of luck with the Job hunt and next year's application :biggrin:
Original post by Aekkel
Oh, that's a real shame. My condolences Isabella! Best of luck with your gap year and reapplying! :hugs:

Thank you ! It's a bummer :biggrin: xx
Original post by tooambitious
:'( it probably isnt much consolation, but at least you know within your self that you are good enough (ds well in Elat impressed at interview etc.) it seems it's the way English is exams that's to blame tbh. A couple of people who got ~100% got Cs this year and ended up with low As, at my school

Best of luck with the Job hunt and next year's application :biggrin:

Thankyou, again ! My only worry is if OCR pull that stunt again when I resit next year. I'm going to be 30 before i get to uni at this rate. :frown:
For anyone who has been following the saga of my English mark and I know there have been quite a few concerned souls, I shall report, for anyone who is interested, on the exact state of my script when i get it back this week. And should it turn out to be harshly or incorrectly marked, I shall pray that those examiners are stuck on a long haul flight, with the seat belt sign on and an extremely bad tummy after a rogue prawn in their curry
For anyone who has been following the saga of my English mark and I know there have been quite a few concerned souls, I shall report, for anyone who is interested, on the exact state of my script when i get it back this week. And should it turn out to be harshly or incorrectly marked, I shall pray that those examiners are stuck on a long haul flight, with the seat belt sign on and an extremely bad tummy after a rogue prawn in their curry

:laugh: if that does happen, I believe you can appeal, which may be something to think about :smile:
Reply 2993

That is a most wonderfully creative wish! xD And yeah, keep us posted. Perhaps even if any sort of appeal over a badly-marked paper doesn't work, you could send a copy of the script to Oxford, in the hopes they could recognise it as such and let you in anyway?
Original post by Aekkel
That is a most wonderfully creative wish! xD And yeah, keep us posted. Perhaps even if any sort of appeal over a badly-marked paper doesn't work, you could send a copy of the script to Oxford, in the hopes they could recognise it as such and let you in anyway?

It's worryingly creative isn't it ?! Totally psychotic haha. Of course I will keep you posted and, I think I will send my paper to the college if my tutors think the marking is a bit unfair - I have nothing to lose. Inspired by you all and Alice, a current Exeter English student - thankyou so much :smile:
It's worryingly creative isn't it ?! Totally psychotic haha. Of course I will keep you posted and, I think I will send my paper to the college if my tutors think the marking is a bit unfair - I have nothing to lose. Inspired by you all and Alice, a current Exeter English student - thankyou so much :smile:

Best of luck.

I know what it feels like to get marked down unfairly, especially when you've grown accustomed to praise. I hope your appeal is successful (and thanks again for that bit about reading lists).
Original post by lemollient_naw
Best of luck.

I know what it feels like to get marked down unfairly, especially when you've grown accustomed to praise. I hope your appeal is successful (and thanks again for that bit about reading lists).

No problem ! Thank you and good luck ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending