The Student Room Group

Contemplating sending an email to my ex.

I'm just so hurt at the moment. Basically I'm 20 and he's 18 and we've been in an LDR for two years, I've known him for 3 years. Anyway, we had some issues and he didn't feel like trying anymore and instead just being friends. I could sense his heart wasn't in it anymore so I ended it because I couldn't just be friends, he didn't seem fussed at all. A week later I felt like I was too drastic in my decision and told him we should talk about it in a mature way because I just don't know how someone can change so quickly and feel nothing at all. He used to say he loved me and could imagine spending the rest of his life with me. So we talked and he said it's just wasting time and we have too many issues. I said I understand, I didn't understand at all but I didn't want to seem irritating so I told him I wouldn't waste any more of his time.

Now I'm just angry, it's been a week since he said that we're just wasting time. I think my anger is fuelled by other family issues I'm having and I wrote an email basically telling him he's selfish and pathetic for telling me he doesn't care about me (his words). It takes me so long to trust people, I've never really opened up to anyone, and when he told me he liked me two years ago I never fathomed liking anyone, I was never interested in relationships or the sort and now I've allowed myself to open up to this one dbag who's just dropped me. He knew that I had trust issues and he invested time in getting to know me, he said he liked me when we first met but he still played out the 'friend' routine with me for a year because he knew through some other friends that I don't really frequent the dating scene.. and it just hurts that he put so much effort once upon a time and now he can't even take the time out to talk to me for an hour. Aggggghhh, I haven't sent the email. It's just sitting in my drafts, I want to though. It might make me feel better. I've not been angry about this ordeal, just sad and now all the anger is trying to pour out and I feel pretty mad at myself for trusting in the first place.

I guess I'd understand if it was anything else, but the fact he just randomly lost interest and care for me when we used to talk every single day hurts 10x more. There isn't another girl either afaik.

It's been 3 weeks since we broke up, he seems fine and here I am asking for advice as an anon on TSR. Ugh, yes I need validation as to whether I should send the email. This is so pathetic, but I still miss him and I don't know what to do.
Reply 1
Sorry, he's 19* That was a typing error. -____-
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm just so hurt at the moment. Basically I'm 20 and he's 18 and we've been in an LDR for two years, I've known him for 3 years. Anyway, we had some issues and he didn't feel like trying anymore and instead just being friends. I could sense his heart wasn't in it anymore so I ended it because I couldn't just be friends, he didn't seem fussed at all. A week later I felt like I was too drastic in my decision and told him we should talk about it in a mature way because I just don't know how someone can change so quickly and feel nothing at all. He used to say he loved me and could imagine spending the rest of his life with me. So we talked and he said it's just wasting time and we have too many issues. I said I understand, I didn't understand at all but I didn't want to seem irritating so I told him I wouldn't waste any more of his time.

Now I'm just angry, it's been a week since he said that we're just wasting time. I think my anger is fuelled by other family issues I'm having and I wrote an email basically telling him he's selfish and pathetic for telling me he doesn't care about me (his words). It takes me so long to trust people, I've never really opened up to anyone, and when he told me he liked me two years ago I never fathomed liking anyone, I was never interested in relationships or the sort and now I've allowed myself to open up to this one dbag who's just dropped me. He knew that I had trust issues and he invested time in getting to know me, he said he liked me when we first met but he still played out the 'friend' routine with me for a year because he knew through some other friends that I don't really frequent the dating scene.. and it just hurts that he put so much effort once upon a time and now he can't even take the time out to talk to me for an hour. Aggggghhh, I haven't sent the email. It's just sitting in my drafts, I want to though. It might make me feel better. I've not been angry about this ordeal, just sad and now all the anger is trying to pour out and I feel pretty mad at myself for trusting in the first place.

I guess I'd understand if it was anything else, but the fact he just randomly lost interest and care for me when we used to talk every single day hurts 10x more. There isn't another girl either afaik.

It's been 3 weeks since we broke up, he seems fine and here I am asking for advice as an anon on TSR. Ugh, yes I need validation as to whether I should send the email. This is so pathetic, but I still miss him and I don't know what to do.

No offense

This will help you

Don't send the email it's a negative spiral, work on yourself so you can have a good time in the future. Transform your negative energy into motivation to change.

Good luck
:smile:

To negative people: My logic is that she should work on herself so she can enjoy a relationship, she has admitted being needy. What is your logic to go against that? I bet you don't even think when you press the neg button. So come on people thumbs up for this girl to enjoy a relationship!
(edited 11 years ago)
[QUOTE="Anonymous;41012595"]I'm just so hurt at the moment. Basically I'm 20 and he's 18 and we've been in an LDR for two years, I've known him for 3 years. Anyway, we had some issues and he didn't feel like trying anymore and instead just being friends. I could sense his heart wasn't in it anymore so I ended it because I couldn't just be friends, he didn't seem fussed at all. A week later I felt like I was too drastic in my decision and told him we should talk about it in a mature way because I just don't know how someone can change so quickly and feel nothing at all. He used to say he loved me and could imagine spending the rest of his life with me. So we talked and he said it's just wasting time and we have too many issues. I said I understand, I didn't understand at all but I didn't want to seem irritating so I told him I wouldn't waste any more of his time.

It's been 3 weeks since we broke up, he seems fine and here I am asking for advice as an anon on TSR. Ugh, yes I need validation as to whether I should send the email. This is so pathetic, but I still miss him and I don't know what to do.[/QUOTE

you are not going to like my advice..but move forward..he obviously doesn't care anymore..find someone else and forget him..is the best advice in break ups ever...
Reply 4
Original post by harrybobo12
No offense

This will help you

Don't send the email it's a negative spiral, work on yourself so you can have a good time in the future. Transform your negative energy into motivation to change.

Good luck
:smile:

Trust me, I know I'm clingy and insecure. This is the exact reason why I didn't want to be in a relationship. I become a liability. He knew this and thought I was being silly because I never seemed clingy to him. He used to say stupid stuff like "How are you still single, you're so beautiful" blah blah.. and I told him my personality sucks that's probably why. He just used to laugh it off.

Idk. I need to get a hobby or something.. I don't want to harbour negative feelings for him but I just don't get how he doesn't udnerstand what he did was horrid.
seriously don't bother getting in touch with him

i made that mistake after my first proper break-up and it will just bring out the worst in you and make you feel worse to boot

in the wake of my most recent break-up, beyond trying to salvage things for a couple of days right after, i just let go and cut all unnecessary contact... and I felt much better for it, I didn't vent any anger... I didn't do anything that could paint me as the 'bad guy'... and even though I'm still not over her like 9 months later, I feel that I at least held onto my decorum and I didnt do anything to harm any chances of things working out

tl;dr

if you've feel that you still have something to say to an ex, then don't say it unless it's positive, because if you start getting nasty you just look and/or feel worse for it
I get the feeling, something similar happened to me.

I wrote him a letter a couple of weeks ago and I'm just waiting to meet with a mutal friend we have so that he can deliver it to him from me.
Reply 7
I'm going against the grain and say if you feel like telling him he is a ****ing douchebag, do it!

I split with a guy that morphed into a bellend over 3 years ago now and oh my god I seriously wish I had told him what I thought of him when he started being a dick. It still haunts me!
Reply 8
Trust me, I know I'm clingy and insecure. This is the exact reason why I didn't want to be in a relationship. I become a liability. He knew this and thought I was being silly because I never seemed clingy to him. He used to say stupid stuff like "How are you still single, you're so beautiful" blah blah.. and I told him my personality sucks that's probably why. He just used to laugh it off.

Idk. I need to get a hobby or something.. I don't want to harbour negative feelings for him but I just don't get how he doesn't udnerstand what he did was horrid.

Don't focus so much on what he did and look more inwards, I am not saying blame yourself but become comfortable with yourself. That is where you will focus so your future relationships will be good. I bet your mind is always telling you negative stuff but you should turn that into positives, maybe write stuff down to show why you are a special person!
Reply 9

Sending an email where you've written negative things directed at him will only push him away and only make him less likely to talk to you. What do you hope to gain from sending the email? Do you hope it'll make you feel better? It may do for a short space of time but in time you'll regret it and it'll do more harm than good.

I know at the moment, you feel **** about your relationship ending and about his seemingly lack of interest and you hate yourself for trusting him. But think about all the good times you once had. Yes time has passed since then and unfortunately his feelings have too but imagine if you hadn't trusted him, you would've got a lot less out of the relationship and things could've been a lot worse/difficult. Yes it may seem in hindsight that you shouldn't have trusted him but you took the risk. You jumped in and we all do. We all want to trust and for some it's much harder but don't regret what's already gone. We can always rebuild that trust and you have learnt something.

You may think he doesn't care. I assure you he does. Of course I don't know him, but no guy can walk away feeling nothing if they've invested 2 years with someone. He's human after all. He's probably just blocking it out or being strong and trying to act like he doesn't care so it makes it easier to deal with. Guys do that sometimes.

It's only been 3 weeks so feelings will still be raw and you're bound to be upset and hurt. I know it's hard to try and make sense of why guys act or do things or trying to make sense of their feelings. God knows I've been in your position trying to decode every little conversation and replaying things to try and work out what he (my ex) really meant. It'll make your head fry. If you want to talk to him and find out why and how things changed to give you more of an explanation so you can get closure, sending a harsh email won't help. It'll be better to approach him kindly and without anger and he'll be more likely to open up and talk. But you also have to be prepared for what he may say. Also time helps. Giving yourself time to gather your thoughts and process your feelings about everything that's happened is good. Don't act irrationally. You'll only come to regret it later.

Be strong hun and don't have any regrets. Look forward, not back :smile:
Send it to him if it will make you feel better. Maybe it would be easier for him to reply in an e-mail than having a conversation with you.
Write the email. DON'T SEND IT. It will help get it out but trust me, you're gonna regret sending it. Been there, done that...
Reply 12
You can't BLAME him and accuse him of stringing you along when he stayed in a relationship with you for two whole years! He clearly just fell out of love with you, but sounds to me like he's met someone else. Probably someone closer to home, LDR's never work...

Sending it will just make him dislike you even more and ignore you further. Which will make you feel even angrier.

Just have to suck it up, eat your feelings away with some ben and jerrys, and move on.
Reply 13
you're all right, thanks for the advice. i'm not sending the email.. i don't think it's worth the anger when i know we've been so happy in the past.

time to put in some pink floyd, cry, eat chocolates and move on.

maybe i'll send myself an email talking about how great i am.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending