The Student Room Group

university and exam grades

Hello everyone

Let me introduce myself.My name is Sumesh and i am a mature student.I am currently studying A levels in order to fulfill my conditional offer from Cambridge to study Economics.I need your opinion as i have had some bad news recently.
I have been struggling all year academically-my work rate has been slow and inconsistent despite getting an offer from Cambridge.I decided to consult a psychologist who performed some tests and diagnosed attention deficit disorder.His opinion is that i try to defer my offer as i am not going to make the necessary grades.I do not know what to do?If i ask the university to defer.i think they will say no,whereas if i take the the exams and perform badly,it will be a straight rejection.
I have spoken to my college about this.They say that i should tell the university as i am not going to make the grades.The psychologist thinks that i can improve my performance after learning management strategies,but not quickly enough for the June exams.He is willing to submit reports on my behalf.If anyone has any experience with this kind of situation,please advice me .Many thanks.
I reckon you should write to them informing them of this. On my letter from King's it said something like 'Inform us if anything happens which might affect your performance in the summer'. You should make them aware of the problem and ask their advice.
Reply 2
What a pity. I'd heed Jigglypuff's advice informing them of this though, and request for your offer to be deferred.
Reply 3
Thank you to Jigglypuff,Knogle and ----- for your replies.I spoke to a lady from Cambridge admission's department,explaining the whole situation.I know this person as she came to my college encouraging mature students to apply.She was sympathetic towards my situation,but on the other hand stressed the rigorous nature of undergraduate courses at Cambridge and suggested that i should look at universities which could be not so demanding.She also said that i should speak to the Dean by phone explaining my situation.She would not speculate about the outcome,however she did suggest that the college concerned could be quite "hard" about the whole thing.
I am very stressed about the whole situation.I need to act fast.I will think about
my situation over the weekend and do something on monday.
Thanks again for your help.
Sumesh
(edited 1 year ago)
Good Luck Sumesh and I hope that you are able to take control of it and that you do well in your exams, whenever you take them.
Reply 5
sumesh
Thank you to Jigglypuff,Knogle and ----- for your replies.I spoke to a lady from Cambridge admission's department,explaining the whole situation.I know this person as she came to my college encouraging mature students to apply.She was sympathetic towards my situation,but on the other hand stressed the rigorous nature of undergraduate courses at Cambridge and suggested that i should look at universities which could be not so demanding.She also said that i should speak to the Dean by phone explaining my situation.She would not speculate about the outcome,however she did suggest that the college concerned could be quite "hard" about the whole thing.
I am very stressed about the whole situation.I need to act fast.I will think about
Sumesh

I wouldn't be surprised if Cambridge withdrew the offer when they find out about your condition to be honest. They might not think that you're up to the challenge in your current state. :s:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Knogle
I wouldn't be surprised if Cambridge withdrew the offer when they find out about your condition to be honest. They might not think that you're up to the challenge in your current state. :s:

I believe I'm right in saying that when Cambridge make you an offer, its a legal agreement, saying that if you get the grades they specify then they have to give you a place - so they can't just take it back like that.
Gemini is right...
Reply 8
sumesh
Thank you to Jigglypuff,Knogle and ---- for your replies.I spoke to a lady from Cambridge admission's department,explaining the whole situation.I know this person as she came to my college encouraging mature students to apply.She was sympathetic towards my situation,but on the other hand stressed the rigorous nature of undergraduate courses at Cambridge and suggested that i should look at universities which could be not so demanding.She also said that i should speak to the Dean by phone explaining my situation.She would not speculate about the outcome,however she did suggest that the college concerned could be quite "hard" about the whole thing.
Sumesh

Speak to someone at the Disability Resource Centre. They get queries like this all the time and can tell you what your options are, what the college can and cannot do, and what would be best for someone in your situation. All contact is confidential.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/disability/about/contact.html
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Gemini
I believe I'm right in saying that when Cambridge make you an offer, its a legal agreement, saying that if you get the grades they specify then they have to give you a place - so they can't just take it back like that.

On further thought, you're probably right. It'd be discrimination and probably illegal if they withdrew the offer. :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks to everyone who has posted a reply.Ticki,I will get in touch with the resource centre at Cambridge on monday.My conditional offer is for 2006.According to my college I will not get the grades this summer.As i understand,the university is under no obligation to defer my offer.I need to be very clear as to how i approach this situation.
Sumesh
Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending