The Student Room Group

c3 25th January 2013 exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanS94
Hyperbolic functions in FP3 :smile: theres coshx tanhx sechx cothx cosechx they can all be put in terms of e e.g. sinhx = 0.5(e^x - e^-x) or it might be + in stead of minus it's been a while since I did them.

S for subtract.
Reply 81
Original post by harrybobo12
So they are a special type of parametric equations? I will learn this hopefully if its in further maths. I am sure you will, C4 is so much easier than C3 or do you disagree? I hate trig and C4 had like 6 chapters and partial fractions are a joke.

Leeds I hope. Its good you are doing further maths, I have just started FP1.

One way of thinking about them is as the parametric form of a hyperbola, yes (the Cartesian equation for a hyperbola is x2 - y2 = r, where r is a constant).

I've got my FP1 at the same time as C4 on Monday (stupid exam boards putting two exams at the same time. I can understand if they're from different boards, but both Edexcel? No excuse). I don't really like C4... I think it's because there's so much integration to learn :/. This is a resit though, so it should be fine :smile:.
init blud, hes such a smart guy. Is he like a teacher?

Are you dizzy?
Original post by Qwertish
One way of thinking about them is as the parametric form of a hyperbola, yes (the Cartesian equation for a hyperbola is x2 - y2 = r, where r is a constant).

I've got my FP1 at the same time as C4 on Monday (stupid exam boards putting two exams at the same time. I can understand if they're from different boards, but both Edexcel? No excuse). I don't really like C4... I think it's because there's so much integration to learn :/. This is a resit though, so it should be fine :smile:.

I know what you mean, Integration did look scary at first but its not too scary now. If its a resit you will do better. It is stupid putting them on same day but at least they are also out of way at same time! I hate the questions where you have to make the differentiation formula.
i must say the c2 paper from last yer had a strange quesyion at the end :wink:
Reply 85
I know what you mean, Integration did look scary at first but its not too scary now. If its a resit you will do better. It is stupid putting them on same day but at least they are also out of way at same time! I hate the questions where you have to make the differentiation formula.

Haha, I like those questions. It's basically Physics :tongue:, I don't like it when they ask for an integral, and it's supposed to be a substitution, and they don't give you the substitution. I mean, I could work it out given enough time. It's the given enough time that's the problem though :/
Reply 86

I don't understand why so many people say C4 is easier than C3, I agree that partial fractions, binomial expansion and most of vectors are not that hard. But and this is a big but since virtually 50% of the paper is integration, integration sometimes is horrible. Differentiation is so much easier. On the other hand however, I just did a 8 mark differential equation question, an entire page of A4 to complete and it's very satisfying getting it right! :biggrin:
Haha, I like those questions. It's basically Physics :tongue:, I don't like it when they ask for an integral, and it's supposed to be a substitution, and they don't give you the substitution. I mean, I could work it out given enough time. It's the given enough time that's the problem though :/

I thought they always gave you the substitution or is that often not the case? If so I am in trouble.

Original post by jqian
I don't understand why so many people say C4 is easier than C3, I agree that partial fractions, binomial expansion and most of vectors are not that hard. But and this is a big but since virtually 50% of the paper is integration, integration sometimes is horrible. Differentiation is so much easier. On the other hand however, I just did a 8 mark differential equation question, an entire page of A4 to complete and it's very satisfying getting it right! :biggrin:

Have you done much practice?
Reply 88
Original post by JordanS94
Yeah :smile: I'm taking a gap year and taking a few modules to M2 I have never done before its replacing my awful FP3 result :lol:

I love maths ... But not too much maths.
It's the only subject I'm consistent with achieving A's and A*'s
And I felt like id be pushing my luck by taking on further maths...

Oh and hated physics at GCSE :frown:
Never knew why I was good at maths but sucked in physics (the physics teacher :/)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by Astarplease01
Are you dizzy?

Dizzy rascal XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
I thought they always gave you the substitution or is that often not the case? If so I am in trouble.

They do usually. I've had one past paper where they didn't, but tbf it was a standard substitution that was in the text book, so I should have known it.
Original post by A*'s
Dizzy rascal XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

:manutd:
Reply 92
Original post by jqian

Love differentiation. I love proving derivatives as well. So much fun! :tongue: Heard this from a 2nd Electronics Engineer from Imperial: "Integration is like building a house: painful and slow. Differentiation is like breaking down a house: quick and satisfying".
Love differentiation. I love proving derivatives as well. So much fun! :tongue: Heard this from a 2nd Electronics Engineer from Imperial: "Integration is like building a house: painful and slow. Differentiation is like breaking down a house: quick and satisfying".

They do usually. I've had one past paper where they didn't, but tbf it was a standard substitution that was in the text book, so I should have known it.

lol that is a good quote. What is proving derivatives?
Reply 94

Have you done much practice?

I have done quite a lot of practice, it's just that sometimes I can see how to integrate something quite quickly and at others it's hard to see. I think it's because sometimes there is only one route to get the correct answer since we have been taught a limited range of techniques for integration. I admit I could've practised more but I was more focussed on C3, now I'm 100% focussed on C4!
OMG I actually nearly died laughing when reading this thread! I have another one about Arsey - Some say he can write pi as a fraction :tongue:
Reply 96
lol that is a good quote. What is proving derivatives?

Proving them from the definition of dy/dx:

Unparseable latex formula:

[br]\displaymode[br][br]\dfrac{d}{dx}(f(x)) = \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \dfrac{f(x + \delta x) - f(x)}{\delta x}[br]

Reply 97

Haha, very nice quote. The way I see it you have to work around the function to integrate that function whereas you don't have to do any (or very little) work with the function before you differentiate it.

Proving them from the definition of dy/dx:

Unparseable latex formula:

[br]\displaymode[br][br]\dfrac{d}{dx}(f(x)) = \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \dfrac{f(x + \delta x) - f(x)}{\delta x}[br]

Oh my god, memories of year 11 FSMQ has returned! It's kinda amazing that after learning differentiation, we sometimes forget about the very basics of how we even got to the stage of just doing differentiation like it's a natural process.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 98
I thought we could discuss about the exam, at 12:00am
Reply 99
Original post by ArcRaman
I thought we could discuss about the exam, at 12:00am

12:00am for morning exams. 4:30am for afternoon exams. C3 was an afternoon exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending