The Student Room Group

10 years since my a levels

Hi, i was wondering if anybody could tell me if i can still study at university 10 years after obtaining one a level and 5 gcses? in the time since i have been a builder now owning my own company.
Original post by tonymacmotox
Hi, i was wondering if anybody could tell me if i can still study at university 10 years after obtaining one a level and 5 gcses? in the time since i have been a builder now owning my own company.

You probably won't get into university if your only qualifications consist of that.
Reply 2
thanks for the reply. What should i do to get in
Reply 3
thanks for the reply. What should i do to get in
3Alevels or a BTEC course/apprenticeship depending on what you're aiming for
Why do you want a degree exactly?
Reply 5
i have recently finished an nvq 3 in heritage brickwork
Reply 6
Original post by chelseafan
Why do you want a degree exactly?

i want to do architecture
Reply 7
i want to do architecture

You'd probably need art, maths and physics for Architecture. Don't hold me to that though! I know you'd need art.
Reply 8
im sick of being a builder
maybe a building surveyor
Reply 9
Universities are much more flexible on entry requirements for mature students. You may need to do a one-year Acccess course so that you get a recent academic track record. Other than that, I've certainly known people in their thirties+, who've done an Access course and gone into an undergrad degree directly afterwards. Some had no A Levels at all. With older students, life and business experience counts for a lot more than school-level qualifications.

Try finding a degree which really appeals to you and then emailing the course leader or Admissions Officer (you should be able to find them on most uni websites). Showing some enthusiasm will go a long way and they'll be able to advise the best way to approach it. Having a sympathetic contact in a uni can also be very helpful when your application lands on their desk.

You could also try raising this in the Mature Students section, many of whom will have applied to uni in your situation:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185

If it helps, I was 44 when I started undergrad (now 49 and three weeks into a PhD!) so don't let age put you off. I'd advise looking into funding now if you won't be self-funding. There's nothing worse than winning a place on a course and then finding out that you can't afford to do it.

Good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
I think you can get in as a mature student
Reply 11
Unless your happy to spend 4 years doing pointless crap, 40k (assuming no grants.), and lost income for the small chance you'll have better job prospects, don't go.
depends what you wish to study at university, you may not need anymore qualifications you could get on the course or a foundation course using your life experience (but obviously only if your experience is linked) or they may ask you to attend something like summer school (which takes 3 months) but i doubt you will need to if you just did an NVQ look at either business or construction based courses and you should get accepted
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Thank you very much for your reply.

Original post by Klix88
Universities are much more flexible on entry requirements for mature students. You may need to do a one-year Acccess course so that you get a recent academic track record. Other than that, I've certainly known people in their thirties+, who've done an Access course and gone into an undergrad degree directly afterwards. Some had no A Levels at all. With older students, life and business experience counts for a lot more than school-level qualifications.

Try finding a degree which really appeals to you and then emailing the course leader or Admissions Officer (you should be able to find them on most uni websites). Showing some enthusiasm will go a long way and they'll be able to advise the best way to approach it. Having a sympathetic contact in a uni can also be very helpful when your application lands on their desk.

You could also try raising this in the Mature Students section, many of whom will have applied to uni in your situation:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185

If it helps, I was 44 when I started undergrad (now 49 and three weeks into a PhD!) so don't let age put you off. I'd advise looking into funding now if you won't be self-funding. There's nothing worse than winning a place on a course and then finding out that you can't afford to do it.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest