The Student Room Group

My dad won't let me learn in a manual.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help I've gotten on here...lord knows where else I could've gone!

I spoke to my dad and made a deal, whereby I could try a lesson in a manual and prove to him that I can in fact pick up quickly - and if I fail to, it's up to his discretion whether he wants me on an automatic or a manual...he says that's fine although he's still in two minds...if that doesn't work then I'm sure the instructor could vouch for me if he believes otherwise...

Original post by Dukeofwembley
"dad, i have a job, i dont need you to pay for my driving lessons

Dad: thank god, i though you were a spoilt ****

I'm in my second year of sixth form in case you haven't noticed, and I don't intend to get a job as I have 3 years to kill at university - care to explain how I'm spoilt for wanting to learn how to drive properly, as anyone my age does?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 41
Tell him you'll pay back the cost of the driving lessons when you get a job. That might let him know how serious you are.
And you may never really have to pay him back.
Reply 42
Tell him if you want to learn something then you want to do it properly and not just some half-assed way.
Original post by bigblitz
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help I've gotten on here...lord knows where else I could've gone!

I spoke to my dad and made a deal, whereby I could try a lesson in a manual and prove to him that I can in fact pick up quickly - and if I fail to, it's up to his discretion whether he wants me on an automatic or a manual...he says that's fine although he's still in two minds...if that doesn't work then I'm sure the instructor could vouch for me if he believes otherwise...

I'm in my second year of sixth form in case you haven't noticed, and I don't intend to get a job as I have 3 years to kill at university - care to explain how I'm spoilt for wanting to learn how to drive properly, as anyone my age does?

god, you have no idea what a part time job is?

tell me, what planet do you live on?

also thank god that employers use work experience as a criteria for grad jobs

makes me happy that i dont have to work with spoilt brats
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by danny111
Tell him if you want to learn something then you want to do it properly and not just some half-assed way.

Yup I've made myself clear and he's finally listening, why should I be limited by them just because they can't be bothered to do it properly themselves.

Original post by Dukeofwembley
god, you have no idea what a part time job is?

tell me, what planet do you live on?

also thank god that employers use work experience as a criteria for grad jobs

makes me happy that i dont have to work with spoilt brats

Even if I were earning, the way I spend my money would still be under their control as I'm under their roof and it's not in my nature to go behind/defy them in any way. That's besides the point - if money were an issue for them, I'd be more than happy to pay them back once I'm earning.

And exactly which planet do you live on, for a 17 year old to be a 'spoilt brat' for expecting their parents to allow them to learn proper driving?

And as for work experience, got tons of it. I've been volunteering at my local charity shop for a long time and spent two weeks with Barclays, all unpaid. And do you really think a typical part-time job is relevant for a Economics/Law-orientated career?

So why don't you do one and stop judging people without understanding their circumstances?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Yup I've made myself clear and he's finally listening, why should I be limited by them just because they can't be bothered to do it properly themselves.

Good man!
Reply 46
he's also banging on about the extra £250-500 premium paid just to learn in a manual
I'm puzzled by this bit. Driving lessons in automatics cost more, due to the higher fuel consumption. An automatic car costs more to buy than its like-for-like manual equivalent in the UK, although you still have a wide selection and can buy older ones for less money.

I won't give opinions here, just facts. If you pass your test in an automatic and have an automatic car to get around in, you can still practise in a manual under provisional licence conditions (L plates / accompanied etc.) to get the feel for it and eventually upgrade your entitlement by passing a further test in a manual. If you pass your test in a manual, you may still drive automatics if you prefer.
Reply 47
Original post by Advisor
I'm puzzled by this bit. Driving lessons in automatics cost more, due to the higher fuel consumption. An automatic car costs more to buy than its like-for-like manual equivalent in the UK, although you still have a wide selection and can buy older ones for less money.

I won't give opinions here, just facts. If you pass your test in an automatic and have an automatic car to get around in, you can still practise in a manual under provisional licence conditions (L plates / accompanied etc.) to get the feel for it and eventually upgrade your entitlement by passing a further test in a manual. If you pass your test in a manual, you may still drive automatics if you prefer.

I did mention this, and I'm sure I could still learn in a manual in almost the same time it would take in an auto, purely because the driving lessons help with staying in line with road rules and the like - I also said that if I wanted to buy a manual in the future (i.e.21/22) then I'd be wasting more time and money in the long term just to re-learn and pass in a manual after being screwed over by my auto-only licence...

Problem with older automatics is they're really horrible on fuel and power delivery, both of which can be controlled with a manual trans :smile:
Reply 48
Just had my first ever lesson today - stalled twice initially but sort of managed to get the gist of it within the 2 and a half hours that I had with the instructor, seems like I'm getting it.

Once again, thanks to everyone on here for your input! It's definitely helped, as I showed my mum and dad the posts and they finally agreed to let me go manual :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
If you want to learn in an automatic car the chances are you will have to provide the car. This means that you'll need to be insured on the family car from the moment you start learning. If you're driving the instructor's car then you won't need to be insured until you pass or start practising with your parents (which some people don't do).

Why not ask your dad if you can try learning a manual car, some people take to it very easily others need a bit more time. But your dad's estimate sounds very high.

It will cut down your options a lot in the future. If you want to buy an old small car for a few hundred pounds then the number of automatics out there is tiny and they're much more expensive.

Also if you ever need to hire a vehicle you'll be charged extra for auto, if you want to hire an automatic van you'll probably be out of luck. You also might end up in a job where you have to use a company vehicle, which could potentially be problematic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending