The Student Room Group

Student Finance: How is this fair??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I understand the maintenance grant part but why should the amount a young adult is allowed to borrow as a loan be asked on parental income? The tuition fee loan is given as a blanket loan so why should a child be penalised based on parents ability or willingness to contribute?
Original post by Cutmeloose
I don't understand why it's ok for children of those with debts to be punished for their parents living outside of their means, but it's perfectly ok to do the opposite for children from a low income, some would say that this is also a lifestyle choice to some extent. Having a child when you're earning less then 20k could be deemed a poor lifestyle choice judging by your definition. I just don't understand how you can just dismiss it, with your parents got themselves in debt, so you'll have to suck it up!

why should the student be punished because their parents made bad 'lifestyle choices' as you put it. At 19/20/21 you're allegedly an adult. Can't understand how at 20+ the government expect your parents to still give you a weekly allowance.

Really depends on personal circumstances. A single mother on 24k with tax credits/single person discounts is going to be able to provide more for her child at university than a couple on 60k combined with a mortgage and 3 kids. Yet the former will be lavished with the full grant and a ****load of bursaries and financial scholarships. It's silly to assume that one size fits all.

Some people will never earn more than minimum wage because - and it's not their fault that they were born that way - they're just a bit thick. Or they're disabled, and can't work more than part time, or at all. Do you really think that they should be denied the right to have at least one child? I'd argue that they state should give support for up to two children. Three, perhaps, with an exemption made for multiple births (e.g. if you have one child and then triplets, all would be supported, but not any subsequent children). Giving state support for people with 10 kids (above and beyond education and NHS) is just ridiculous.

Your parents have to take responsibility for their actions and learn to provide for their children. Sorry, but it's how it is and you seem to have a massive sense of entitlement.

£60k is a comfortable household income, even if you do choose to have a mortgage and three kids. That's two above average incomes. You're hardly going to be struggling to eat unless you've bought a house that you can't afford and lavish your children with unnecessary treats. And there's the added security - it's highly unlikely that both parents will lose their jobs at the same time.

And whilst we're on the subject of fairness, life isn't fair. My dad got made redundant due to his caring responsibilities, and then he got cancer. He's essentially unemployable, through no fault of his own. And yet he's not eligible to claim housing benefit, job seekers allowance or pretty much any other benefit because he was responsible during his career and saved up. You don't see me on TSR moaning about how unfair it is.
Original post by .JJ
It is ridiculous that they base your income for the next three years+ on one question. My parents own more than one of my friends', however I have three siblings, one of whom is disabled, and he's an only child. His parents are paying for his accommodation and living costs, mine can't give me a penny; he still gets a bigger loan than me. C'est la vie, I guess.

It's not for three years, you reapply every year because circumstances are likely to change and you get asked a series of questions to best assess how much your family earns, not just one basic question.

OP the system has its flaws but it shouldn't be right that a family earning £60k+ gets the same student support as a family on really low income struggling to pay the bills. Your parents made the lifestyle choice of having x amount of children and living in a nice house so they can barely afford to give you any money to support you, it's not up to tax payers to give you an allowance, you just have to get a job like the rest of us if you want walking about money.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
It's not for three years, you reapply every year because circumstances are likely to change and you get asked a series of questions to best assess how much your family earns, not just one basic question.

That's still three years income based off of one question, the question's just asked again.
What other questions are there? The student finance calculator just has one.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Some people will never earn more than minimum wage because - and it's not their fault that they were born that way - they're just a bit thick. Or they're disabled, and can't work more than part time, or at all.

Amazing bit of generalization there
Original post by vivavangveing
Amazing bit of generalization there

I'm sure you're smart enough to see the point I'm making
Some people will never earn more than minimum wage because - and it's not their fault that they were born that way - they're just a bit thick. Or they're disabled, and can't work more than part time, or at all. Do you really think that they should be denied the right to have at least one child? I'd argue that they state should give support for up to two children. Three, perhaps, with an exemption made for multiple births (e.g. if you have one child and then triplets, all would be supported, but not any subsequent children). Giving state support for people with 10 kids (above and beyond education and NHS) is just ridiculous.

Your parents have to take responsibility for their actions and learn to provide for their children. Sorry, but it's how it is and you seem to have a massive sense of entitlement.

£60k is a comfortable household income, even if you do choose to have a mortgage and three kids. That's two above average incomes. You're hardly going to be struggling to eat unless you've bought a house that you can't afford and lavish your children with unnecessary treats. And there's the added security - it's highly unlikely that both parents will lose their jobs at the same time.

And whilst we're on the subject of fairness, life isn't fair. My dad got made redundant due to his caring responsibilities, and then he got cancer. He's essentially unemployable, through no fault of his own. And yet he's not eligible to claim housing benefit, job seekers allowance or pretty much any other benefit because he was responsible during his career and saved up. You don't see me on TSR moaning about how unfair it is.

I do genuinely see your point, but I must say your posts are a bundle of contradictions and riddled with double standards.

You claim that having children is a lifestyle choice.

Having children is a lifestyle choice full stop.

You then claim that the government should not be expected to sort out your parent's mess, nor should the taxpayers.

It is not the government's fault that your parents have made lifestyle choices that mean they have less disposable income, and I'm baffled as to why you think the taxpayer should be made to fund that

You then claim that the state should actually give support for up to 3 children despite this being a so called 'lifestyle choice'

I'd argue that they state should give support for up to two children. Three, perhaps,

You then change your tune once again and say that the parents should be accountable for their mistakes. I'm assuming this rule only applies for those on a higher income bracket.

Your parents have to take responsibility for their actions and learn to provide for their children.

Why shouldn't this apply to the poorer students?

All I'm saying is that a decent salary is not synonymous with standards of living. A combined salary of 45k post tax isn't really going to allow you to be 'comfortable' especially somewhere in London but I guess this is a lifestyle choice. From 45k, post tax you're looking at 2.7k per month, 800-900 could easily be going on accommodation. That's already a hefty chunk, factor in broadband, TV, electricity, heating, food, travel expenses for you and your wife/husband, providing for your remaining children. Parents are not just defined by their children, it's sensible to assume a chunk of their salary will go on them also. Taking all that into account, It's not easy to assume that you'd be able to give your child £200-300 per month without fail.

I would probably argue that some of my friends with single parents on less then 25k have a better standard of living than myself.

I don't see why people say 'you'll just have to get a job' Why doesn't this apply to the poorer students? They are also capable of working part time while they study, so why shouldn't they have to make up the shortfall with part work. To me, the grant system is essentially an incentive and reward for poorer students. I'm not naive enough to suggest that the system should be based on student income instead of parental income or anything like that, but it does need to be more holistic. People say it's a myth that some people can't afford to go to university, but if your parents can't support you and the government won't help then.. it may not be a myth.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Cutmeloose

I don't see why people say 'you'll just have to get a job' Why doesn't this apply to the poorer students? They are also capable of working part time while they study, so why shouldn't they have to make up the shortfall with part work. To me, the grant system is essentially an incentive and reward for poorer students. I'm not naive enough to suggest that the system should be based on student income instead of parental income or anything like that, but it does need to be more holistic.

It still does, though it must be remembered that poorer students are more likely to drop out.

Also, it's important to attract those from lower incomes into higher education in order to aid social mobility (a point I made in my last post).

People say it's a myth that some people can't afford to go to university, but if your parents can't support you and the government won't help then.. it may not be a myth.

You can still go and, should you get into financial difficulty, it's unlikely the university will just allow you to drop out. There is a financial safety net available.

There's also the OU, or you could wait a few years and go as an independent student (claiming income related benefits a year prior to entry) :p:

But seriously, the cut off point needs to be made. With the numbers of people now going to university the government cannot afford to provide universal grants. What do you expect the government to do?
I'm sure you're smart enough to see the point I'm making

That not everyone has an equal playing field or has been given the same opportunities, or even supportive parents and a stable home life?

Or are you saying, that they must never progress in minimum wage job's because they're thick or disabled. Some people live within their means and are fine with that, they just wont to go in, do their jobs and leave. They don't want all the responsibility of having to deal with people or they don't have the personality for supervisor and management roles. Sometimes **** happens in life and things don't go how you wanted.
I could never be one of those people who just settled for the above situation; but people do. Not having drive/ambition or being able to deal with sacking/reprimanding people doesn't always equate to being thick.

I know someone who has had higher paid jobs and responsibility, AAA at A level. **** happens. Now their happy, living with in their means, and not being threatened with a knife by someones bf, who didn't like that they sacked his gf.

Saying that people in minimum wage jobs stay there because they are thick or disabled is what i disagreed with. I actually agreed with everything else you said. I just meant that everyone is different and people deal with circumstances differently. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I grew up with a single mother on low income, so I get the full amount of student loan and maintenance grant... I would rather have grown up with parents who had a decent income, trust me!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30

Saying that people in minimum wage jobs stay there because they are thick or disabled is what i disagreed with. I actually agreed with everything else you said. I just meant that everyone is different and people deal with circumstances differently. :smile:

But that isn't quite what Origami Bullets was saying.

Someone might not stay in a minimum wage job because they are "thick" or disabled, but they may be stuck doing it for the foressable future (ie. during the time his or her offspring are at university).

Take a person who perhaps had a well paid job but suffered a brain injury or a stroke. This person had to give up their job as they could no longer work at that level. Then then return to work but find that they only work they can do know is minimum wage, routine employment. This person might have aspirations to work at a higher level, perhaps even higher than they were working, but this comes after much rehabilitation and time.
Original post by River85
But that isn't quite what Origami Bullets was saying.

Someone might not stay in a minimum wage job because they are "thick" or disabled, but they may be stuck doing it for the foressable future (ie. during the time his or her offspring are at university).

Take a person who perhaps had a well paid job but suffered a brain injury or a stroke. This person had to give up their job as they could no longer work at that level. Then then return to work but find that they only work they can do know is minimum wage, routine employment. This person might have aspirations to work at a higher level, perhaps even higher than they were working, but this comes after much rehabilitation and time.

Fair enough; i guess i wasn't intelligent enough to see what he was actually saying:smile:

I gave those examples of why someone might be on NMW, because they are all clearly examples which are not of the person's making. This was to respond to a previous poster's idea that being on a low income was some sort of lifestyle choice. I wanted to give examples that for many people, it isn't. For some people, it's a big achievement to be in any form of paid work whatsoever. Others are there as a stepping stone or a stopgap. But we all need low-paid workers (carers, binmen, teaching assistants, healthcare assistants, bus drivers, heck, even catering staff... for the most part without them the country would cease to function). I strongly dislike the idea that somehow if only poor people had worked a bit harder then they would be well off.

People who earn enough to put themselves in the 'comfortably off' bracket, and then choose things that they cannot afford, and then expect the state to pick up the tab for other things (as the OP's parents seem to have done) do annoy me though. It's far from outside the realms of possibility that OP's parents could have chosen not to get into so much debt, whereas claiming that someone could have / should have climbed the career ladder better is a rather harder thing to argue in many cases.
I gave those examples of why someone might be on NMW, because they are all clearly examples which are not of the person's making. This was to respond to a previous poster's idea that being on a low income was some sort of lifestyle choice. I wanted to give examples that for many people, it isn't. For some people, it's a big achievement to be in any form of paid work whatsoever. Others are there as a stepping stone or a stopgap. But we all need low-paid workers (carers, binmen, teaching assistants, healthcare assistants, bus drivers, heck, even catering staff... for the most part without them the country would cease to function). I strongly dislike the idea that somehow if only poor people had worked a bit harder then they would be well off.

People who earn enough to put themselves in the 'comfortably off' bracket, and then choose things that they cannot afford, and then expect the state to pick up the tab for other things (as the OP's parents seem to have done) do annoy me though. It's far from outside the realms of possibility that OP's parents could have chosen not to get into so much debt, whereas claiming that someone could have / should have climbed the career ladder better is a rather harder thing to argue in many cases.

Yeah i know now, sorry. Jumped in head first without thinking. I just keep hearing allot of little kids who have never known anything but mummy n daddy's money, thinking everyone who doesn't live like that is a scrounger, and it's a lifestyle choice to be poor.

Edit: Not saying you are one of them. I took what you said out of context.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by .JJ
That's still three years income based off of one question, the question's just asked again.
What other questions are there? The student finance calculator just has one.

Yeah the calculator gives a rough guideline, but when you apply properly there are quite a lot of questions that are asked (not all apply to everyone's situations though of course). I'll have to have a look when I next reapply, when I've done it in the past it seemed like a lot anyway!
in my opinion it does need an overhaul.

I personally feel it would benefit everyone if the universities were given all the loan/grant money to distribute evenly to accepted students.

None of this 'your daddy's rich' or 'your mum's poor' malarky - if the uni's had all the money they could:

- put the 2nd,3rd (possibly 4th) years funding into a savings account to accrue interest which they can then use to "lower" their fees making the students better off.

- provide weekly allowances in the form of money transferred/meal packages for survival

- stationary budget for pens/workbooks

- luxury budget for the student to do as they please - drink it, save it, spend it on text books

- offer a selection of suggested laptops which can be purchased/rented on a monthly finance scheme

This way money is spread evenly, none of this "OMG student loan CLOTHES CLOTHES GADGETS MORE CLOTHES - OMG i'm SKINT!" will happen, want to bring a console/gaming laptop? great, get a job and pay for it yourself.

It honestly perplexes me the level of entitlement in today's society - everyone moaning that someone has more than them, it isn't fair etc etc.
I have a much better plan. The government should provide higher maintenance loans/ grants for subjects on some list of required jobs - there's a list somewhere aimed at immigrants for what skilled workers the UK needs. By providing additional financial support for related degrees, and possibly linked to academic achievement, the UK gains more of the skilled workers we need, and less graduates from pointless degrees - I'll give the common example of film studies. Why waste the government's money paying for their tuition fees (the student will probably never earn enough to pay it back) and also maintenance grants?
Also, everyone should be given the same blanket loan. But no grants - so the money will always be paid back to the government at some point. Yes, some people will still receive additional support from their parents, but at least people like me will actually be able to afford accommodation.
Original post by manderton
It honestly perplexes me the level of entitlement in today's society - everyone moaning that someone has more than them, it isn't fair etc etc.

Too right. People aren't entitled to grants and loans, they can be taken away any time so we're lucky to have them frankly.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Too right. People aren't entitled to grants and loans, they can be taken away any time so we're lucky to have them frankly.

Indeed - just look at the god-awful patchwork system that they have in the States, which leads to people having to choose universities on the basis of how much they cost. I think most students there would give their eye teeth for our system.

Edit: Not saying you are one of them.

No worries. I wish I was one of them! No such luck though...
Reply 39
The system is flawed but it can be looked at from one that one way.

I have heard students complain that their parents earn a lot but refuse to support them therefore the government should be "fair" and give them the same as a poor student.

However much pity I feel for them its not the governments fault someones parents dont support them.

I got the full grant and loan at uni but did not get any hardship from the uni yet a girl with lower loan and grant who just turned up for the first week but stayed in halls(and didnt pay them) managed to get about 2 grand in hardship saying she was in severe debt(she was 18) then spent the 2 grand on a clubbing holiday and a ipod etc. That was unfair on me as they worked out hardship from income rather than how much I need.

I know where you are coming from though, my cousins had an alcoholic father who was in a good job so were awarded little but the father was in severe debt as obviously the alcohol and he used to waste the familys money on things like an expensive car that was unfair on the girls that their dad was useless with money

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending