The Student Room Group

Re: Undertaking on Dual Carriageway

Hi there,

I failed my first test recently. I had 3 minors and everything went well in general. However, on the A13, before entering, the examiner told me to change lanes to the right (2 times) asking me to follow Tilbury, Dartford, (3 lanes) which I did so safely and then carried on and went back to the left lane.

However, at the end of the test, he told me I failed because a lorry had to undertake me on the left which was a serious. So, this 1 bloody serious mistake cost me my pass but am not so angry. Just gutted and am now actually waiting for my next test. I am confident in driving but at the time/test, I completely forgot what and when this happened. I remember a lorry went past on the left but at the time, didn't think of it too much. But I am hoping to pass next time round.

My question really is just for some tips on the dual carriageway (particularly, 3 lane dual carriageways).

Thanks guys and girls.

masterwayne
Reply 1
Were you staying in the middle or right lane for any long period of time? Roughly what speed were you going at during this event?
Original post by SillyEddy
Were you staying in the middle or right lane for any long period of time? Roughly what speed were you going at during this event?

I was probably on the middle lane because I remember going back to the left lane from the right (the middle lane) but I don't think it was for a long period of time, that's the thing. Also, was going at about 40-45mph. However, when I asked the examiner at the end of the test, he didn't say it was an issue with the speed but it was to do with changing lane and going back to the left because the lorry had to undertake me.
Reply 3
Original post by masterwayne10
I was probably on the middle lane because I remember going back to the left lane from the right (the middle lane) but I don't think it was for a long period of time, that's the thing. Also, was going at about 40-45mph. However, when I asked the examiner at the end of the test, he didn't say it was an issue with the speed but it was to do with changing lane and going back to the left because the lorry had to undertake me.

Well, naturally it's not easy to say what happened without really seeing it for ourselves.

Wherever possible, you should be in the left hand lane except when over taking (or when a further overtake is neigh and it doesn't make sense to change lanes twice).

Though, it could just be your speed. Down the dual carriageway you should aim to be at 70mph where possible. I know the saying is that the speed limit is a "maximum and not a target", but in the real world, drivers will typically stick to the speed limit on all roads. Because you were going so slowly in the centre lane, I imagine the other van just continued going at their own pace and just coincidentally overtook you in the left lane. I suppose they should've overtaken you by going into the right hand lane, but that is a hassle... And drivers try to avoid hassles!

I think you were probably just going too slowly on the road. Is there a reason why you couldn't get up to or maintain the national speed limit on that road? And just remember to be in the left lane where possible - Exceptions include the need to move to another lane for purposes of turning or overtaking.
Well, naturally it's not easy to say what happened without really seeing it for ourselves.

Wherever possible, you should be in the left hand lane except when over taking (or when a further overtake is neigh and it doesn't make sense to change lanes twice).

Though, it could just be your speed. Down the dual carriageway you should aim to be at 70mph where possible. I know the saying is that the speed limit is a "maximum and not a target", but in the real world, drivers will typically stick to the speed limit on all roads. Because you were going so slowly in the centre lane, I imagine the other van just continued going at their own pace and just coincidentally overtook you in the left lane. I suppose they should've overtaken you by going into the right hand lane, but that is a hassle... And drivers try to avoid hassles!

I think you were probably just going too slowly on the road. Is there a reason why you couldn't get up to or maintain the national speed limit on that road? And just remember to be in the left lane where possible - Exceptions include the need to move to another lane for purposes of turning or overtaking.

I am actually sure I wasn't too slow, and I usually do about 45-50 anyway on the dual carriageway and my examiner/instructor never said anything was wrong with the speed.

I even spoke to my instructor afterwards and I mentioned the exact same thing to him (about the lorry going to the right lane to overtake me) and he agreed.

A bit stupid but I'll bear those tips in mind...
Reply 5
It's not about the speed. You just shouldn't linger in the middle or right lane for no reason. If someone undertakes you that is a sure sign you've stayed there too long (unless they have just sped up from you overtaking them, without there being a chance to move back in front of them). These lanes are for overtaking, and you should move left as soon as possible.

Ofc, it is particularly inconvenient for other drivers if you are lingering in the middle lane whilst driving much below the speed limit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6

I am actually sure I wasn't too slow, and I usually do about 45-50 anyway on the dual carriageway and my examiner/instructor never said anything was wrong with the speed.

I even spoke to my instructor afterwards and I mentioned the exact same thing to him (about the lorry going to the right lane to overtake me) and he agreed.

A bit stupid but I'll bear those tips in mind...

Well I'm no driving examiner, but I'm sure there are still minor marks for responding to changes in road and speed limit. They might also think that you lack confidence.

To me, 45-50 seems too slow. It's not even the speed limit for a single carriageway. If nothing else, it can be dangerous to go too slow - Other drivers will expect you to be going faster and they might approach you far too quickly, which could cause a crash.

I'd still advise trying to get up closer to the speed limit where safe and possible.
Reply 7
Its not 'good practice' to be in an outer lane when you could be on the inner lane but the examiner needs retraining if they said it was illegal for the lorry to pass on the nearside
Well I'm no driving examiner, but I'm sure there are still minor marks for responding to changes in road and speed limit. They might also think that you lack confidence.

To me, 45-50 seems too slow. It's not even the speed limit for a single carriageway. If nothing else, it can be dangerous to go too slow - Other drivers will expect you to be going faster and they might approach you far too quickly, which could cause a crash.

I'd still advise trying to get up closer to the speed limit where safe and possible.

I'm not slow - I'm just following signs which state the maximum is 50mph.
Original post by Pigling
It's not about the speed. You just shouldn't linger in the middle or right lane for no reason. If someone undertakes you that is a sure sign you've stayed there too long (unless they have just sped up from you overtaking them, without there being a chance to move back in front of them). These lanes are for overtaking, and you should move left as soon as possible.

Ofc, it is particularly inconvenient for other drivers if you are lingering in the middle lane whilst driving much below the speed limit.

I don't how long I was in the middle lane but it couldn't have been for too long because I did eventually change to the left but this is a mistake I will definitely avoid making in the next test hopefully.

It's stupid but I've learnt from it now.
Reply 10
If you needed to be in a lane other than the left lane for whatever reason and were doing the speed limit when another doing more than the limit passes using a lane to the left then you have done nothing wrong

Needing to be in a lane other than the left one is the main point here
Reply 11
I don't how long I was in the middle lane but it couldn't have been for too long because I did eventually change to the left but this is a mistake I will definitely avoid making in the next test hopefully.

It's stupid but I've learnt from it now.

Do not over compensate by moving too early into the left lane

So every dual carriageway has a maximum speed limit of 70?

No, doesn't make sense, not every dual carriageway is a NSL? For we all know the speed limit could have been 50mph.
Original post by Ice Constricter
So every dual carriageway has a maximum speed limit of 70?

No, doesn't make sense, not every dual carriageway is a NSL? For we all know the speed limit could have been 50mph.

As it happens, the speed limit was 50. I did not know this before as I do not drive down that road on a daily basis.
As it happens, the speed limit was 50. I did not know this before as I do not drive down that road on a daily basis.

Then that was very silly of you Eddy :tongue: You shouldn't have made firm assumptions going by the very little information the OP provided. You should have at least asked what the speed limit was, because as it happens, I don't drive down that road on a daily basis either (don't think I have ever), yet I made no assumptions.
Original post by Ice Constricter
Then that was very silly of you Eddy :tongue: You shouldn't have made firm assumptions going by the very little information the OP provided. You should have at least asked what the speed limit was, because as it happens, I don't drive down that road on a daily basis either (don't think I have ever), yet I made no assumptions.

Yeah, exactly. But like I said on an earlier post I made, the maximum was 50mph so speed definitely wasn't an issue.
I have my test in Tilbury...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending