The Student Room Group

Does everything which has a beginning have an end?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by miser
Does anything have no beginning but a precise point of termination? :holmes:

Pi is only a ratio. It's merely a quirk of attempting to express it numerically in base-10 that prevents us from writing it precisely.

Aren't you banned lol :troll:
Reply 21
Original post by aranexus
Aren't you banned lol :troll:

Disappointingly for this thread topic, seemingly it had both a beginning and an end. :wink:
Reply 22
Original post by miser

Pi is only a ratio. It's merely a quirk of attempting to express it numerically in base-10 that prevents us from writing it precisely.

pi exactly equals 10 base pi.

It doesn't really seem to have helped much :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by Joinedup
pi exactly equals 10 base pi.

It doesn't really seem to have helped much :frown:

It's expression time in base pi.

3+13 + 1

A wild irrational number appears!

Spoiler

Reply 24
Just my 0.2 in the numbers debate but if you look at each number individually, they all have a beginning and an end. 2 starts with 1 and ends with 3.That's how I see it anyway.When you look at the numbers as a whole though,they seem to be endless.
Let's ask Morpheus.

Not really. The expansion of the Universe had a beginning, but as far as we know, it can expand indefinitely; apart from the 'Big crunch' possibility, all the other scenarios allow for the Universe to expand forever.
Reply 27
Original post by shyamshah
Hey, I was just wondering this question. For example, humans have a beginning to life and an end which is death. Pretty much everything in the world has a beginning and an end, but is this true for every single thing? Is there anything which doesn't follow this pattern?

Energy is eternal, it can neither be created nor destroyed. Only transformed.
Reply 28
Everything but the DFS sale
Original post by tashazzz
Everything but the DFS sale

ROFL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Take a number like pi. A definite starting point. No end.

Same with any recurring number (3.3`)

I'm not sure that's true, we write them like that sure, but really all it means is we can never know quite where to put the dot on the number line. The written digits are just our representation system.
Reply 31
Original post by miser

It makes no difference what base you try to write pi in , still doesn't have a known end
Reply 32
Original post by Farm_Ecology
I would argue no.

For an example: Numbers.

Numbers don't really have a beginning either though
Reply 33
energy, even when we die we are still made up of matter which no matter how small is still matter thus energy is eternal unless the universe does not exist then yes nothing will exist.
Reply 34
Original post by aranexus
No, as far as i'm aware: π (pi) has a begining, but has no end :rolleyes:

I would have to disagree.

Although it's easy to say that pi begins with a '3' and doesn't end, I think this logic is flawed. I think that '3' serves as a pseudo-beginning and is just an essentiality following the way our number system works. The number of greatest magnitude taking the position to the far left and those of lower value take positions further to the right: tens | units | tenths | hundredths | etc...

There is no absolutely concrete objective reasoning that can support that '3' is at the beginning of pi, just, as it happens, '3' appears at the start of our representation of pi in decimal form.
Original post by shyamshah
Hey, I was just wondering this question. For example, humans have a beginning to life and an end which is death. Pretty much everything in the world has a beginning and an end, but is this true for every single thing? Is there anything which doesn't follow this pattern?

The Matrix, really? Try some real philosophy. :rolleyes:
Reply 36
Original post by Enigmatic Spirit
The Matrix, really? Try some real philosophy. :rolleyes:

I never said the matrix.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by moorbre
It makes no difference what base you try to write pi in , still doesn't have a known end

This was already discussed. In base pi, it is '10'.
Reply 38
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Not really. The expansion of the Universe had a beginning, but as far as we know, it can expand indefinitely; apart from the 'Big crunch' possibility, all the other scenarios allow for the Universe to expand forever.

Knowingly or not, you have come upon the problem. If we take a set of things which have a beginning we can then split this into two further subsets. Those that have already been shown to have an ending, and those which have not yet ended if they are to end at all (i.e. those that have only begun).

In order to conclusively disprove the statement 'everything that has a beginning has an end' we would have to wait forever to observe whether the all of the latter of the two subsets contains things, or a thing, which has a beginning but no end. But this is impossible, and by extension this is why from a practical standpoint nothing can be concluded unless we were certain that the entire set of things with beginnings fits exactly into its own subset of things with endings. This also inevitably runs into complications because some things, such as the life of a star, last a very long time and we can never be certain that we are able to observe or infer the existence of all things with beginnings. If we were ever in a position to prove the statement true, it is likely that the statement would have become an axiom anyway.
Reply 39
Photons, neutrinos, electrons, and positrons will outlive the Universe, even after 10^1000 years when everything is gone, and don't any of you disagree with me! :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending