The Student Room Group

Does everything which has a beginning have an end?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by The_Duck
Its quite possible that the universe will not end ie heat death. So if you say it began then no?

The universe isn't a 'thing', it is the set of all 'things'.
Reply 42
Original post by aranexus
Photons, neutrinos, electrons, and positrons will outlive the Universe, even after 10^1000 years when everything is gone, and don't any of you disagree with me! :rolleyes:

For as long as these things exist, and so long as they have no means to leave it, they will always exist in the universe, and therefore will not outlive it.
Reply 43
Original post by Futility
The universe isn't a 'thing', it is the set of all 'things'.

That depends on whether a multiverse exists or not :rolleyes:
Original post by Pleonasm
Knowingly or not, you have come upon the problem. If we take a set of things which have a beginning we can then split this into two further subsets. Those that have already been shown to have an ending, and those which have not yet ended if they are to end at all (i.e. those that have only begun).

In order to conclusively disprove the statement 'everything that has a beginning has an end' we would have to wait forever to observe whether the all of the latter of the two subsets contains things, or a thing, which has a beginning but no end. But this is impossible, and by extension this is why from a practical standpoint nothing can be concluded unless we were certain that the entire set of things with beginnings fits exactly into its own subset of things with endings. This also inevitably runs into complications because some things, such as the life of a star, last a very long time and we can never be certain that we are able to observe or infer the existence of all things with beginnings. If we were ever in a position to prove the statement true, it is likely that the statement would have become an axiom anyway.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, though I was simply pointing out that our current cosmological models seem to suggest that it's theoretically possible for the Universe to expand forever.
Reply 45

I know what it is, but I wasn't the one in this thread which mentioned the matrix.
Reply 46
Original post by rawsex
I would have to disagree.

Although it's easy to say that pi begins with a '3' and doesn't end, I think this logic is flawed. I think that '3' serves as a pseudo-beginning and is just an essentiality following the way our number system works. The number of greatest magnitude taking the position to the far left and those of lower value take positions further to the right: tens | units | tenths | hundredths | etc...

There is no absolutely concrete objective reasoning that can support that '3' is at the beginning of pi, just, as it happens, '3' appears at the start of our representation of pi in decimal form.

Could you expand on this? Sorry, but I peeked at your posts. :colondollar: I am such a peeker.
Reply 47
Original post by Juichiro
Could you expand on this? Sorry, but I peeked at your posts. :colondollar: I am such a peeker.

Well we operate in a base-10 number system. Not sure if you know what that means, but simplistically, we use 10 symbols 0, 1, 2, 3, ..., 9 and in this system, Pi starts with a three. If we consider Pi in an alternative base-system, binary (base-2) for example, it looks something like 11.001... Which is totally different. Then if you consider it in base-Pi, it's 10.

Base-10 works for us and we are accustomed to it, but there's no way of objectively deciding that this base is the 'right' base to be using because it isn't. It's merely fit for purpose.
Reply 48
Original post by brumdeals
i don't think so. i mean first of all... if what is said is true and at one time we assume that we start counting at one and others at zero... what is the last number then? is there an end?

You sound very confused.

Original post by aranexus
No, as far as i'm aware: π (pi) has a begining, but has no end :rolleyes:

Sigh, smarmy 'rolleyes' emote after naming an answer which has already been mentioned several times.

Original post by Picnic1
Some ideas can be so persistent that it can be realistically bet that they might have no end such as that there will always be at least 1 living person who knows who Shakespeare was.

But more certainly:

The existence of opinion, of pleasure, pain, indifference/neglect and the '7 deadly sins' will probably never come to an end as long as there are living things. As long as there are, subjectivity will always exist. So will ignorance - ignorance is literally not knowing something. Even those who think they know a lot about a lot of things would be objectively wrong- they only know the tiniest percentage of all there is to know. The number of facts that the universe has ever made possible to come up with is infinite.

The existence of moving things.

The existence of particles.

Most of the above is clearly rubbish. Shakespeare will have no end? You hold the human race in very high regard if you think we'll last forever.
well, besides numbers.oval shapes etc i cant think anything else right now..maybe if would sit and think it more seriously i would find some more...
Reply 50
when you drawing a circle, its having a beginning when you start drawing but when you finishing there is no end to the circle
Reply 51
Original post by Mullah.S
when you drawing a circle, its having a beginning when you start drawing but when you finishing there is no end to the circle

That's not quite right. When you start drawing a circle, it isn't a circle, therefore there isn't a beginning to the circle.

Only when you finish the circle does it become a circle, therefore the circle has no beginning point.
Reply 52
Original post by pjm600
That's not quite right. When you start drawing a circle, it isn't a circle, therefore there isn't a beginning to the circle.

Only when you finish the circle does it become a circle, therefore the circle has no beginning point.

and a circle having no end

go looking in dictionary, start is meaning synonym for beginning
Reply 53
Original post by Mullah.S
and a circle having no end

go looking in dictionary, start is meaning synonym for beginning

No, you misunderstand me.

When you start drawing a circle, up until the moment when the circle is completed, all you have drawn is a curved line. When you complete the circle, the circle doesn't have a beginning point or an end point as it is a circle.
Reply 54
Original post by pjm600
No, you misunderstand me.

When you start drawing a circle, up until the moment when the circle is completed, all you have drawn is a curved line. When you complete the circle, the circle doesn't have a beginning point or an end point as it is a circle.

ohhh i am seeing what are you meaning now, sorry.
i was not thinking in this way.

difficult questioning.
Reply 55
Original post by shyamshah
Hey, I was just wondering this question. For example, humans have a beginning to life and an end which is death. Pretty much everything in the world has a beginning and an end, but is this true for every single thing? Is there anything which doesn't follow this pattern?

How about 'learning'?
Death never ends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by jreid1994
Death never ends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

...unless you believe in reincarnation :tongue:
Original post by Farm_Ecology
I would argue no.

For an example: Numbers.

What is the first number?
Reply 59
Original post by jreid1994
Death never ends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, not necessarily. Death is the action of dying, rather than a state, so death ends when you're dead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending