The Student Room Group

Why do girls make such a big deal about sex?

Why can't they just do it for the enjoyment of the experience itself, rather than feeling guilty and imposing silly little 'rules', like having to be in a relationship, making commitments, or imposing minimum time limits on how long they've known a guy before they will sleep with them :rolleyes:

You never see boys turning down girls for sex because there isn't a commitment, or they haven't known each other for long enough etc etc.

If you're hot, let's bang. Simple as that.

Boys get pride from sleeping with as many girls as possible, but why are girls so often ashamed and embarrassed about sleeping with many different boys?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Evolution, basically.
I agree. To me sex is just sex, get over it. I doubt many people would be lying on their deathbed wishing they'd had less sex. It's supposed to be pleasurable and it's a total fallacy that girls can't have casual no strings attached sex like guys. Some of us can, so people should stop generalising and mind their own business. But it's each to their own at the end of the day, do what makes you happy. As long as you've got self respect, use protection and aren't hurting anyone in the process, I really don't see a problem :wink:

It's also matter of double standards with guys being players and girls being sluts. Not fair at all but life's like that unfortunately:rolleyes:
Reply 3
Oh, but when we do we're branded sluts? :rolleyes:
Independent thoughts. Its what makes us different. Why dont you shag men? Or are your faggy feelings, morals and preferences getting in the way? It's just sex.
Reply 5
It is very simple.

Men are able to be promiscuous. There is little risk to men when it comes to sex. They do not need to worry about pregnancy. Even if a man does not wear a condom, he can control when he ejaculates. As a last resort, it is always possible for a man to simply walk away from a woman whom he got pregnant (even if it is a repulsive thing to do it is possible). Sexually transmitted diseases and infections have a significantly higher male-to-female transmission rate than they do from females to males, and the effects are worse for women than they are for men. There is also the consideration of physical strength. Once a woman has made the decision to sleep with a man then she is far less able to change her mind for fear of rape (or at the very least she is in more "danger" than the man).
Simply put, sex for men is very low risk even without coming to my second point.

Which is that it is less socially acceptable for women to be promiscuous than men. I think the main reason for this is because for a woman to have sex often requires little to no effort on her part other than assenting to it. There will rarely be a deficit of attractive and sexually active men for a woman to choose from if she is simply after sex. However for a man the chase (or whatever synonym) is a game, and it is seen as an achievement to get someone as attractive or more attractive than himself to sleep with him. This is only augmented by the "lad culture" that is developing. But a promiscuous woman will not only get negative attention from female peers; but will also lose respect from her male peers also. This is because men want their girlfriend to be hard to get and exclusive, men will be less interested in a woman who is known for being sexually promiscuous.

It is possible that these standards could change, but I think it unlikely. It is just the way of things.
Reply 6
The social repercussions for a girl who has sex with many different guys is ridiculous. Maybe the solution is to just sleep with who they want and not tell their friends.

That said, how many of the girls who complain about being labelled a slut would think the exact same of another girl who had had sex with numerous guys?
First off, your generalisations are incorrect. Secondly, because if they did, they would probably not enjoy it as much. Or at least, that's what they're conviced it will turned out like. Sex is supposed to be pleasurable to everyone involved, some people just have different ways of ensuring themselves that fact.
Reply 8
Original post by R4INBOW

Mainly by other girls...
Reply 9
Original post by consumed by stuff
Independent thoughts. Its what makes us different. Why dont you shag men? Or are your faggy feelings, morals and preferences getting in the way? It's just sex.

That is a brilliant comeback .. Good point

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by R4INBOW

If you found out that a girl you knew had slept with 3 different guys in a week, the first word that would come to your mind would probably be that lovely 4 letter word beginning with s.
Reply 11
Original post by MissCellaneous94
I agree. To me sex is just sex, get over it. I doubt many people would be lying on their deathbed wishing they'd had less sex. It's supposed to be pleasurable and it's a total fallacy that girls can't have casual no strings attached sex like guys. Some of us can, so people should stop generalising and mind their own business. But it's each to their own at the end of the day, do what makes you happy. As long as you've got self respect, use protection and aren't hurting anyone in the process, I really don't see a problem :wink:

It's also matter of double standards with guys being players and girls being sluts. Not fair at all but life's like that unfortunately:rolleyes:

Unless they were dying from aids
Original post by hannahsm

You don't get Aids from having lots of sex, you get it from having unsafe sex.
Reply 13
Different natural selective pressures applied to the different genders. It was obviously advantageous for a woman in the evolutionary environment not to sleep with many men at once, because all the effect of it would be is to make the men each uncertain of whether the child was theirs or not. Any behaviour that used resources to support the propagation of another's genes at the expense of one's own would naturally be weeded out over time; unfaithfulness in women therefore became unattractive over time. Women are only able to have a child with one father at a time, eggs are finite in supply and metabolically expensive, and during pregnancy they would have been vulnerable (and required the assistance of a partner). These forces converged to shape the psychology of men and women and their attitudes towards sex. Conversely, there wouldn't have been any such comparable pressures operating on men, who essentially lost nothing - but still stood to gain - from having sex liberally.

None of this matters today, of course, it is just that our minds are 10,000 years out of date.
Original post by hannahsm

good observation
Reply 15
Original post by Mangaka
Mainly by other girls...

Actually in my experience its mainly men who call women sluts, ironically women they have slept with themselves...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
There was once this girl i knew in my form that used to hang around the other side of town quite alot in year 9. In school and around town she was known to be 'fridged' or 'prudish'. To cut a long story short, in year 11 some kid in our school somehow found out that she shagged nearly every guy our age at the area she used hang out at( ok not every guy but still).This was the biggest shock ever to everyone given how 'prudish' she was and inevitably All the girls and some of the guys kept mercilessly calling her a 'slut' along with its other synonyms. The fact that she managed to keep her sexual conquests as a secret for 3 years is beyond me tbh.

Morale of the story here is.... Girls can be as promiscuous as guys, just dont tell everyone or make sure it is at a place where noone knows you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Regarding your question however, I personally couldn't be in a relationship with someone with a promiscuous past. Those girls to me are what you're essentially proposing, cum dumpsters.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
If sex is just sex to you, you clearly haven't been in a meaningful relationship.
Because those are our personal morals, deal with it, we're not forcing you into our beds what's the problem? :wink:

There's a fairly large possibility that being promiscuous in our youth will taint our chances for long term committed relationships in the future...

There's plenty of girls out there who dont feel the same, its not our fault you cant pull them ¬.¬
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending