The Student Room Group

Advice needed re. texting girls you don't know

Hi all,

I'm a student in my 20s, but with no relationship experience. There's this girl I see around every now and then, who often smiles at me as she passes. I think she's very attractive, and after coincidentally coming across her mobile number I managed to bring myself to send her a text (anonymously, but my number's on Facebook) - basically saying that her smiles always brightened my day. She replied saying thanks but that I might have got the wrong person, as she hadn't been around much in the last few months. I send back her Facebook ID to show it was her I meant; I guess there's a possibility it's someone else's number but it seems unlikely. That was a couple of days ago and no reply since. Should I send another text? Is it too late? Is it normal to show an interest like this in someone just because they seem to find you good-looking, and you think they are? Am I just a desperate, obsessive creep? :P

Thanks!
Reply 1
It seems a little creepy to be honest. Why don't you just start a conversation with her in person?
Reply 2
Yes, texting a girl anonymously is creepy, so is facebook stalking. You really should get her number in person, not off the internet.
creep
Reply 4
Hmm, interesting. If I'd received it I would only have been flattered and pleased. So it's still creepy even given the fact that she knows it's someone she's showed an interest in?

As for approaching her, well there's a reason I have no dating experience. Confidence, self-image etc..

And who said I got her number off the Internet! :P
Reply 5
And she could likewise approach me right?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Hmm, interesting. If I'd received it I would only have been flattered and pleased. So it's still creepy even given the fact that she knows it's someone she's showed an interest in?

As for approaching her, well there's a reason I have no dating experience. Confidence, self-image etc..

And who said I got her number off the Internet! :P

How does she know that? I don't think just smiling counts as showing an interest. You say you have low confidence, but you seem very confident she likes you.

Well how did you get her number? That's how I would have started, because as a rule you get texts from people you've given your number to. So maybe "hi, I'm Sam, I got your number off your friend Sarah, I've noticed you around, I've wanted to talk to you but I'm a bit nervous!".

Your style is a bit... intense.

Pretty girls, as a rule, don't approach guys. As you know, approaching people is hard, so why do it if you don't have to? Also, girls love confidence, and approaching girls is a great way to show that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
That sounds like a terrifying experience for her =/ Why not approach her in person?!
Reply 8
Original post by Mankytoes
How does she know that? I don't think just smiling counts as showing an interest. You say you have low confidence, but you seem very confident she likes you.

Trust me I had a hard time believing it at first, but you have a fair point all the same. To add some detail, as there is a little more to it, the first time I saw her she came and sat opposite me and I found her staring at me when I looked up at her. At other times I have passed her and looked back to find her likewise looking behind. Sure none of these are noteworthy on their own, but as a whole, perhaps they are?

Original post by Mankytoes
Well how did you get her number? That's how I would have started, because as a rule you get texts from people you've given your number to. So maybe "hi, I'm Sam, I got your number off your friend Sarah, I've noticed you around, I've wanted to talk to you but I'm a bit nervous!".

Your style is a bit... intense.

Pretty girls, as a rule, don't approach guys. As you know, approaching people is hard, so why do it if you don't have to? Also, girls love confidence, and approaching girls is a great way to show that.

I see, although perhaps then admitting nervousness outright in a text wouldn't be such a good idea? But I guess what I meant with that is that if she understands that approaching isn't easy, would she then go on to think badly about someone else approaching her in a non-direct way such as this?
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Trust me I had a hard time believing it at first, but you have a fair point all the same. To add some detail, as there is a little more to it, the first time I saw her she came and sat opposite me and I found her staring at me when I looked up at her. At other times I have passed her and looked back to find her likewise looking behind. Sure none of these are noteworthy on their own, but as a whole, perhaps they are?

I see, although perhaps then admitting nervousness outright in a text wouldn't be such a good idea? But I guess what I meant with that is that if she understands that approaching isn't easy, would she then go on to think badly about someone else approaching her in a non-direct way such as this?

It's definitely worth a shot, anyway.

If you are texting rather than speaking to her, you aren't going to look confident. But admitting you're nervous will at least take away the awkwardness. There's a certain amount of confidence in admitting nerves. If she does understand that, she should accept an admittance. But is it really impossible for you to just talk to her?
Reply 10
It's abit of a bombshell, i mean she has no idea you find her attractive...one step at a time..just say hi how you doing, or something
Reply 11
Mankytoes you are right, I hadn't thought about it like that.

She actually replied in the end, said she didn't recall smiling at anyone in particular. Which to be honest doesn't fit with how she's behaved around me (and I hoped I was conveying my interest in her even if I couldn't bring myself to smile at her). I guess I am just the guy in Little J's gif! :frown:

So to progress any further I'd have to reveal who I am or talk to her...
Yeah, you really need to tell her your name, the main reason this is creepy is that it's anonymous.
Reply 13
So on a related topic, if there's more than one girl who's shown an interest in me (let's assume that's true anyway :P), how do I pick if I want to approach one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending