The Student Room Group

Oil in the header tank but have been told head gasket is fine!?

Some advise would be greatly appreciated, I feel like jumping off a cliff right about now so any info would be very useful!

Basically, I advised my missus to purchase this little 206 which seemed great (I am a DIY mechanic but fairly competent so advised her on what to spend her £1300 on).
I never knew how expensive this little thing could be, after finding the indicator needed replacing which I assured her it couldn't possibly be more than £50 I was horribly wrong when it was closer to £200 just for the part!

Anyway the problem..... Everything seemed fine for the month of her ownership then I went to check the water after noticing the temp a little high to be greeted with a header tank full of oil! I nearly cried a little inside as I knew this was head gasket territory and she has only owned the car a month. Secondarily she says the engine feels a little hesitant at some speeds (I couldn't feel anything as a passenger).

Took it to F1 Autocentres who tested it (presumably sniffer test), however they say nothing is wrong and someone has put oil in the water tank!!! I cannot believe this, for a start I swear I checked the tank when buying the car, and I certainly know me or my girlfriend would never have put oil in the tank!! The previous owner was a DIY mechanic and I cant believe he put oil in it!

So after refusing the £65 radiator flush I asked for a quote for head gasket in case it needs doing in the future..... £750!!! That is £100 more than a main dealer quote, in fact main stealer quoted £700 which included the aux belts, timing belt and tensioner!.

I am now left to advise my girlfriend as to what to do.... Do I, flush it out, then chuck it in the auctions and get £500 for it? ....or flush it out, keep it and run the risk of the oil coming back? I cant argue with their diagnosis and I'm sure they want the work so I cant understand how they say the HG hasn't failed. Could it be an incorrect diagnosis? Also what price should I be looking at with a HG failure? I would do it myself but am lacking the time and a double garage.

Would love some advise please.

Much appreciated!!
Reply 1
Hello there,

Is this a diesel or a petrol model?
When you stated that there was "oil in the header tank" is that a LOT of oil or just a light film?
If just a light film, it might be possible that the car has had HGF in the past and some residual gunk has broken free and presented itself in the header tank.

Remove the header tank, flush it properly and refit and top up the coolant system and see whats what in a couple of days time.

If it is HGF I would be inclined to re-think having a go yourself. It's not a paritcularly hard job and certainly you won't need a double garage - I once did a head gasket on a morris minor in a pub car park while a mate held a brolly over me to stop the rain getting in the engine!
Get yourself a copy of a workshop manual and read through it. Chances are the only special tools you'll need are a torque wrench and possibly a deflection guage for the belts.

It might be the case that it's just starting to go - just tell her to keep an eye on the temp guage. If it looks like it's going to red line then shut it down, let it cool and either tow or limp it back home in stages.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by JC.
Hello there,

Is this a diesel or a petrol model?
When you stated that there was "oil in the header tank" is that a LOT of oil or just a light film?
If just a light film, it might be possible that the car has had HGF in the past and some residual gunk has broken free and presented itself in the header tank.

Remove the header tank, flush it properly and refit and top up the coolant system and see whats what in a couple of days time.

If it is HGF I would be inclined to re-think having a go yourself. It's not a paritcularly hard job and certainly you won't need a double garage - I once did a head gasket on a morris minor in a pub car park while a mate held a brolly over me to stop the rain getting in the engine!
Get yourself a copy of a workshop manual and read through it. Chances are the only special tools you'll need are a torque wrench and possibly a deflection guage for the belts.

It might be the case that it's just starting to go - just tell her to keep an eye on the temp guage. If it looks like it's going to red line then shut it down, let it cool and either tow or limp it back home in stages.

Cheers for the quick reply! It is a 1.1 Petrol model, so a seemingly small engine (Hence I was surprised at a £750 bill!)

It is a lot of oil, putting your finger in you would think it was a can of engine oil!

I will flush it, I mean I guess some non bio detergent and run it through for an hour?

Can running a sniff test really not be conclusive? I mean I would expect the garage to be competent in testing it.

I will get her to carry on driving it and see what happens but I still think on a modern engine the HG would be a bitch. I mean if it was 20 years old and had a carb and no ECUs then I would but this seems like a lot of work.

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending