The Student Room Group

Hardest HL subjects to get a 7

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Savvy Sage
Not HL.
It isn't as hard as HL Maths with 2nd HL science/HL History I hear as you get more timetabled lessons & 1 less subject. That's what FMers say but to the sane human being, SL FM is for the geniuses of this world.

The reason that it is SL, is why it is the hardest subject.
Because it has content of the same difficulty of HL maths, but you still have to do 3 other HLS including Maths with it.
I doubt its for the geniuses of the world. I do HL maths and wouldve loved to do SL FM, and yeah I do average a score of 90% in maths :smile:
Original post by Giveme45
The reason that it is SL, is why it is the hardest subject.
Because it has content of the same difficulty of HL maths, but you still have to do 3 other HLS including Maths with it.
I doubt its for the geniuses of the world. I do HL maths and wouldve loved to do SL FM, and yeah I do average a score of 90% in maths :smile:

It's becoming HL next year. I don't think it was SL because of difficulty. Some of the topics covered are "only" part of first year uni maths so perhaps it is for the class of people one grade lower than genius. Why didn't you do it? I think most people do it as a 7 th subject anyway.
Reply 22
Maths HL
English
Economics

But Maths with lots and lots of practice, a 7 is possible.
Reply 23
Original post by Savvy Sage
It's becoming HL next year. I don't think it was SL because of difficulty. Some of the topics covered are "only" part of first year uni maths so perhaps it is for the class of people one grade lower than genius. Why didn't you do it? I think most people do it as a 7 th subject anyway.

Because unfortunately my school did not offer it :/

But well even though it becomes HL, I still think that it is reasonable harder to achieve a 7 in than in HL physics for example, having attended HL physics myself. To be honest, I consider all the subjects except HL maths a joke. In all of them you can easily manage to get a 7 with enough work/practice, whereas HL maths is rather unpredictable.
My school is really peculiar in comparison.

It's generally accepted here that these are the easiest subjects to get 7 at HL:
Geography, English Lit, Biology and Theatre.
We do have a reputation for doing really well in those subjects though.

The "hardest" HLs at my school (though I won't order them) are:
Math, Physics, History and French/Spanish.

Chemistry, other arts and Economics are in the middle for us, and I can't say for some subjects like Philosophy because they aren't offered at my school.
Original post by AryanK
Well darn. I need 7s in both HL math and HL physics for my uni offer. I'm doomed. :h:

I also think getting a 7 in history HL is really difficult. It deserves to be at least in top 5 on the list.

omg this is so true.
Music HL is also REALLY HARD to get a 7 in. after 2 IB years of getting straight 6s i finally got that rare 7 for my final music IB grade :cool:
Reply 26
Funny thing is that the majority of the people in our school's history HL class got a 7. I think its difficulty is overrated - if your teacher is good and teaches you the right exam techniques, you'll do fine in it, provided that you study.
You can check this all on the IB stats bulletin. Surprisingly IT and environmental systems are two of the most difficult things to get 7s in.
Reply 28
Philosophy is much more difficult than you think it is
Reply 29
Depends on the person, but from my experience, RE: history vs languages, history is a LOT harder to revise for, and the questions much more open ended than in most (any, in fact) subjects. So IMO:

1) HL Maths
2) HL Physics

=4) HL Chemistry (more revisable than history but still bloody awful to revise for)
=4) HL History

5) HL Biology

=7) HL English
=7) HL French, German, Spanish etc etc

8) HL Economics
9) HL Geography

(10) HL Philosophy) I have no experience with philosophy as my school didn't offer it

That is my verdict.
:judge:
In my opinion,HL economics is easy; its much easier than HL Philosophy for sure. Under the new curriculum, Paper 3 is basically a quantitative paper which anyone with Y10 level maths skills and a firm grasp of the course can do well at! People doing Higher Level tend to do much better on average than those doing standard (although this may simple be because the better economics students take HL rather than SL)

Personally, I do Maths Economics and Chemistry at higher but I have heard that HL Music is an incredibly difficult subject to score a Level 7 in owing to the nature of the final exams.
Reply 31
My subjects listed in what I find to be the difficulty

1. English SL
2. Math Hl
3. Chem HL
4. French SL
5. Econ HL
6. Bio Sl

Thats I find it after 1 year. Still dreaming of a 7 at HL math which I really need, and I find unseen poetry analysis difficult because it is difficult to get a sufficiently complex thesis. I think chem can be hard, though it is just based on your ability to learn and with practice everyone improves. French, Economics and Biology are good for me. I am looking 4 sevens but I am between 6 and 7 on both english and math so my predictions will tell the story(two weeks from now). (English: I got a 7 in IOP and have been averaging 6/7 in class though I messed up the end of year exam on which much of our grade is based on. I am now churning out work to try and get my prediction up. Math : Got a six in the november assessments and got 5 % off the 7 boundary in the end of year exam. I think my teachers think I am capable of a 7, and under normal circumstances teachers would predict up, but in maths they are known for being strict and just try to give everybody sixes but make the seven quite rare).
Reply 32
Original post by Coke1
I would guess the order to go like this, but I would like other opinions :smile:

In order of difficulty to get a 7 in:

1) HL Maths
2) HL Physics
3) HL Chemistry
4) HL English Lit
5) HL Biology
6) HL French, German, Spanish etc etc
7) HL History
8) HL Economics
9) HL Geography
10) HL Philosophy

This is just a guess, so feel free to post your opinion :smile:

You are right about Math HL, but I am glad because we are having nice teachers.

It is kinda disappointed for having decreasing grade-Math HL. (I just got my result for sem 2)
Paper 3 was killing me recently T,T.
Of course it is my fault for not focusing in class:frown:
Original post by Jasonkerr69
Original post by Coke1
I would guess2) HL Physics the order to go like this, but I would like other opinions :smile:

In order of difficulty to get a 7 in:

1) HL Maths
2) HL Chemistry
3) HL Physics
4) HL Psychology
5) HL Philosophy
6) HL Geography
7) HL Economics
8) HL Biology
9) HL History
10) HL French, German, Spanish, etc etc
Reply 35
In my opinion:

Higher Level subjects

HL Further Maths
HL Maths/Physics
HL Chemistry
HL History/English Literature
HL Art/Music
HL Computer Science
HL Philosophy
HL Psychology
HL Biology (if you suck as memorising this can go right up the list)
HL Economics
HL Geography
HL Language B (like biology, if you aren't proficient in the language it can be really hard)

Standard Level subjects:

SL Physics
SL Art (heavy workload for a standard level subject, plus marking is very subjective)
SL History
SL Computer science
SL Chemistry etc
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending