The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

the best accomodation(on campus)?help needed;p

hi, I`m Ola (19,Pole, love going to gigs, good music-to much to list it here;p, photography and sport-snowboarding, surfing, I also train volleyball and used to train tennis) I`ll take sussex as my firm (my course is law with inetrnational relations). I need to fill in my accomodation form at last and really can`t decide which place to choose- could you guys help me a bit?
park village, east slope or park houses??
I would be grateful for any tip ;D btw:somebody else taking similar course?

Reply 1
Hullo alexsandra, I don't kow whether i can really help but here it goes...

I'm planning to go to sussex also this year (english and media studies) and I was also considering the three you have mentioned and put them in the folllowing order: east slope, park village and then park houses.

I chose east slope because it was the cheapest but also because it seemed really nice and friendly when i visited and I liked the layout of it. Also i think it's in a good position on campus. Park village was next and i like the sound of this one but the communal area seemed to be a bit lacking in that they have no kitchen table, so there's not really a place you can sit around together (however this may not bother you).

To be honest i would'nt mind living in any of those three and it probably won't make much difference. You'll just have to go with what will suit your needs/wallet.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
thanks for your help Hannah:smile: the problem is that I haven`t visited Sussex yet so I really don`t know how all those places and hpuses look like- so thanks for the tips :p:
I thinl I`ll also take the east slope ( as the first one) because of the price but I`m not sure yet...
anyway, hope to see you in sept. :smile:
Reply 3
I've heard from people at Sussex that East Slope is the worst
Reply 4
rabbit
I've heard from people at Sussex that East Slope is the worst

There are split opinions about east slope some love it some don't, but i dont think it's as bad as some make it out to be.

Glad to be of service. Btw u can see some of the accommodations on the sussex website but not the ones that you are considering but you may find it useful anyway. http://www.sussex.ac.uk/USIS/campustour/accommodation.html
Yeah so hopefully see you in sept:wink:
Reply 5
hmmmm...do you know maybe how the rooms look like? I mean is there a big difference between the room in east slope , park village or in park houses- what is the difference in size, what about showers, kitchens etc??
and (e.g.) brightlem - you have to pay extra for gas and electricity right? is there a particular sum given or...?
aleksandra
hmmmm...do you know maybe how the rooms look like? I mean is there a big difference between the room in east slope , park village or in park houses- what is the difference in size, what about showers, kitchens etc??
and (e.g.) brightlem - you have to pay extra for gas and electricity right? is there a particular sum given or...?

East Slope rooms are pretty small - Park Village and the Park Houses are bigger and usually have sinks. The Park Houses have the biggest kitchens but are more like halls than flats, East Slope second biggest and then Park Village generally. Showers differ from flat to flat in East Slope - my 12 person flat has two showers, two toilets and a bath.

East Slope *is* ****ty, the walls are paper thin and it's not exactly aesthetically pleasing...But in the end it really is about the people you live with. I have 11 decent housemates including 3 who I'm moving out with next year, and because of that it's not bad :smile:
Reply 7
Hi,
My name is Asia, also a Pole. I'm going to study International Relations and Languages. I also had hard time choosing accomodation. I decided for the East Slope because of the price. But everyone is saying that it's such a horrible place...
Reply 8
asia87
Hi,
My name is Asia, also a Pole. I'm going to study International Relations and Languages. I also had hard time choosing accomodation. I decided for the East Slope because of the price. But everyone is saying that it's such a horrible place...
There is no such thing as the 'best' accomodation. Generally I think people end up thinking theirs is alright/brilliant. Lots of the people I know that lived in East Slope ended up loving it. The people you live with can make more of a difference than where you live. It's only for a year of your life (and if you go home in the holidays its only 31 weeks), you're not going to be there a lot of the time because campus is really busy and you can easily hang out at your friends' places.

Don't worry about it

jo x
Reply 9
Since you apparently know so much Jo, what was the moving in day like for you? Is that when you met most of your friends?

I just went over my book they sent me again and ye,

1. Park houses
2. Park village

I am bound to get one of them... and the cost for the year would be £2,925 which isnt bad
Reply 10
Freezer
Since you apparently know so much Jo, what was the moving in day like for you? Is that when you met most of your friends?
I do indeed know everything :smile:

People move in in similar numbers on the Saturday and Sunday (with a few coming later in the week) and generally everyone unpacks with family/friends, chats to their flatmates and RA (Residential Adviser - returning student living in your area who is your first point of contact for housing/housemate related stuff) then heads out on campus for the evening.

I moved in on the Sunday afternoon and got all my stuff out of my mum's car. We went for something to eat then back to my flat where I met my housemates. My mum then went home and I sat around chatting to everyone while we all unpacked a bit. One of my housemates became my best friend and I'm still really good friends with some of my other housemates. I also made friends on my course, through friends of friends, neighbours and through my society.

Jo x
I'm still meeting new people in the summer term. Freshers week is important for getting sociable, but it is far from the be all and end all. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending