The Student Room Group

What's your favourite supermarket?

After seeing the results of a Which? poll, I was interested about what other people thought about their supermarkets.

These are the results from Which?: http://www.which.co.uk/news/2013/02/best-and-worst-supermarkets-revealed-by-which-311258/

As well as for on-line supermarkets: http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/leisure/reviews-ns/grocery-prices-what-you-need-to-know/top-of-the-online-supermarkets/

Bear in mind that the sample size for the on-line results was only 2,191 and over 11,000 for the supermarket results.

Personally, I just go to what is nearest to me, but the likes of Ocado (which recieved the winning score of 80%, alongside Waitrose as the best on-line supermarket) are pretty good for vegetarian and vegan stuff (tofu is non-existent in the ASDA I shop at).

What are your views on these results? Also, what is your favourite supermarket?

Scroll to see replies

My favourites are definitely m&s and tesco. Just wish m&s had a delicatessen like waitrose :frown:
Reply 2
Like you I go to which ever is nearest but I avoid Asda like the plague if possible. Just because their normal clientèle in my area are rude, bash you with trolleys and the children often run amok. Food shopping is annoying enough without these added factors
Morrisons... because it's the only one we have :P haha
Spar because it's the closest one to me, but the Tescos where I am are quite good as well I think :smile:
Reply 5
I could be bias and say Sainsbury's as I work there, but seriously you cannot go to a supermarket and not feel overly stressed out, I personally think they're all as bad as each other in ways.
Reply 6
Sainsburys i guess. I like the large basic range and the quality. Also the shops tend to be clean unlike Tescos...

I enjoy M&S for the odd luxury... i couldn't imagine managing to do a weekly shop there though as their ranges are too small.
(edited 11 years ago)
If I'm shopping like a sir, with my tophat and cane {which I whip out for such occasions} then I love M&S. Waitrose also, but as many seem to be rather small, there's a far wide availability of their products via Ocado.

Day to day I like Tesco most, but I visit Lidl on a regular basis when at University as it's closest and I'm incredibly lazy.
I love Lidl most of all, and if I could afford it often m&s. Sainsburys seems to be the dullest to me with the narrowest selection, at least tesco has more decent foreign food aisles.
If I could afford it, I'd love to shop at Waitrose all the time. Usually it's Tesco as they're nearest me. Tesco seems to be the only ones with discounts on reduced meats - near me anyway.
Reply 10
Waitrose :love: for at least as long as I live at home and don't have to buy my own food!
Reply 11
In M&S and Waitrose I always feel out of place, normally I'm the youngest (non-child) in the shop!

I love Aldi and Morrisons but I like them all to be honest- depending on who's got the best offers!
Reply 12
Asda. Although not a supermarket I like Iceland.
Tesco because it seems to have the most. It also appears to be at the forefront of technology and innovation in retail.
Reply 14
I prefer Waitrose overall, but I settle for Sainsbury's or Tesco.

Although, I do love the Coop in Switzerland...
it just goes to show that lidl and aldi is a middle class store as much as it is a working class store

reason being that youve got to have money to spare to subscribe to which

id say tesco, cos its in good locations,
Reply 16
Lidl is my favourite, usually cheap and to the point with no faffing about. When I have a bit of extra money I do like going to Morrisons, their food counters and fresh food are great.
To some extent, it depends where you are, as the choice can be quite limited. At college, I prefer Sainsburys for most things and M & S for a few treats. In London, it has to be Waitrose every time, with M & S second. Waitrose branches in London tend to be bigger and have more choice.
M&S and Waitrose. Simply cannot choose between the two!
Original post by jazzykinks
M&S and Waitrose. Simply cannot choose between the two!

I prefer the sandwiches in Waitrose. M & S ones have too much mayo in quite a few of them. I don't like Marks's own-brand crisps, either. Also I think their ready meals have become a bit dull really, they don't seem to have many new ideas for things.

Quick Reply

Latest