The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Starting Strength?

Scroll to see replies

This seems like the perfect thread. Does anyone know of any good beginners guide to fitness? I have a bench press at home and a gym membership i just don't have a plan to follow :frown:
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
This seems like the perfect thread. Does anyone know of any good beginners guide to fitness? I have a bench press at home and a gym membership i just don't have a plan to follow :frown:

The stickies on this site mate.
I guarantee you most pro bodybuilders started out full body. Also, don't forget that they have a certain 'advantage' besides genetics.

I'm referring to natural bodybuilders. I recommend full body routines for beginners and possibly throughout the entire intermediate stage too. Just not SS.

I take your point about aesthetics - you are 100% correct that most people are only interested in this. But let's not kid ourselves, aesthetics are mostly something you are born with.

While most people don't have the genetics to be a top tier bodybuilder almost everyone can make massive improvements especially within the first year which is when the greatest gains come.

Don't get me wrong I am not against isolation, it is the nature of bodybuilding to isolate and bring up lagging body parts and something I do myself.

But heavy dips WILL build triceps, Pull-ups WILL build biceps. For most novices, one exercise per muscle group is usually enough at first - hence full body workouts are perfect. When they no longer hit the spot, then add another exercise in; this is when you split your workout. My point is people skip the first part.

Dips and pullups will not stimulate biceps and triceps growth as much as dips and pullups along with some type of curl and extension. Isolation work on the triceps needs to be done to bring out the long head which is what gives the triceps their size. Curls follow the function of the biceps perfectly and pullups don't. Curls need to be done to maximize biceps size especially for guys with just average genetics. You can skip over the first part because of what I said previously and the fact that adding in isolation work won't hinder your progress providing that you keep the volume under control.

Again, I admit that I am cynical and I have no idea what your background is, but if you spend years watching people start a workout with preacher curls or do a 'chest' day that contains the same volume and number of exercises as 'back' day you will see what I mean.

Never recommended this type of routine and I never will.

Personally I think SS is over rated. As you say it is aimed at powerlifters and not someone who wants to impress girls in a tight T-shirt. My advice to the OP would be to start with a basic compound full body programme - 4 exercises tops. If he finds at 6 weeks that his arms haven't developed then sure, add in some iso. This is the only way to construct a personal routine from the ground up - and my point is that most people skip this part.

Don't forget that heavy squats and deads also have other effects on the body!

I have seen some quality physiques built from solid barbell work, never from too much isolation.

The routine I linked has 5x5 squats 3x a week and 1x5 deadllifts. I never recommended a routine purely based on isolation. Isolation work needs to be done on the shoulders to bring out the rear and side delts as well as on the calves. So when all is said and done when you add in the needed isolation to the compounds you have a lot more than 4 exercises that need to be done to maximize aesthetics. There is no point in doing such an overly reductionist routine for several weeks as we have already seen what happens when we use an overly basic routine (SS) for the purpose of aesthetics for months.

I suppose what I am getting at is Johnny Bravo is far, far more common than T-rex

This is irrelevant. Even if t-rex physiques were more common you would still have poor physiques. At least with Johnny Bravo physiques we can tell that to get a lot of hypertrophy and good shape in the arms and shoulders you will need isolation.

I recommend you watch this video so you have a much more firm grasp as what what I am actually recommending beginners do because I get the feeling that you don't right now. [video="youtube;feY6vi6ORXo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo[/video]
(edited 11 years ago)
guys at bodybuilding forum says AllPro simple beginner routine >>>>S.S
(from their experience).
I was doing ALL Pro and it worked. I lost some fat and built muscle & noticed the change within few weeks.

be well
with metta kindness
Reply 44
It gave me stretch marks, which is both a good thing (in that it shows how fast I put on muscle) and a bad thing.

I ate about 4000 calories/day and went from not having visible abs to having visible abs too, and went from 140 lbs to 180 in less than a year

Granted I was about 16 or 17
Original post by Converse Rocker
The stickies on this site mate.

Thank you- very helpful.:biggrin:
Reply 46
Original post by alex_tait
I guarantee you most pro bodybuilders started out full body. Also, don't forget that they have a certain 'advantage' besides genetics.

I'm referring to natural bodybuilders. I recommend full body routines for beginners and possibly throughout the entire intermediate stage too. Just not SS.

I take your point about aesthetics - you are 100% correct that most people are only interested in this. But let's not kid ourselves, aesthetics are mostly something you are born with.

While most people don't have the genetics to be a top tier bodybuilder almost everyone can make massive improvements especially within the first year which is when the greatest gains come.

Don't get me wrong I am not against isolation, it is the nature of bodybuilding to isolate and bring up lagging body parts and something I do myself.

But heavy dips WILL build triceps, Pull-ups WILL build biceps. For most novices, one exercise per muscle group is usually enough at first - hence full body workouts are perfect. When they no longer hit the spot, then add another exercise in; this is when you split your workout. My point is people skip the first part.

Dips and pullups will not stimulate biceps and triceps growth as much as dips and pullups along with some type of curl and extension. Isolation work on the triceps needs to be done to bring out the long head which is what gives the triceps their size. Curls follow the function of the biceps perfectly and pullups don't. Curls need to be done to maximize biceps size especially for guys with just average genetics. You can skip over the first part because of what I said previously and the fact that adding in isolation work won't hinder your progress providing that you keep the volume under control.

Again, I admit that I am cynical and I have no idea what your background is, but if you spend years watching people start a workout with preacher curls or do a 'chest' day that contains the same volume and number of exercises as 'back' day you will see what I mean.

Never recommended this type of routine and I never will.

Personally I think SS is over rated. As you say it is aimed at powerlifters and not someone who wants to impress girls in a tight T-shirt. My advice to the OP would be to start with a basic compound full body programme - 4 exercises tops. If he finds at 6 weeks that his arms haven't developed then sure, add in some iso. This is the only way to construct a personal routine from the ground up - and my point is that most people skip this part.

Don't forget that heavy squats and deads also have other effects on the body!

I have seen some quality physiques built from solid barbell work, never from too much isolation.

The routine I linked has 5x5 squats 3x a week and 1x5 deadllifts. I never recommended a routine purely based on isolation. Isolation work needs to be done on the shoulders to bring out the rear and side delts as well as on the calves. So when all is said and done when you add in the needed isolation to the compounds you have a lot more than 4 exercises that need to be done to maximize aesthetics. There is no point in doing such an overly reductionist routine for several week as we have already seen what happens when we use an overly basic routine (SS) for the purpose of aesthetics for months.

I suppose what I am getting at is Johnny Bravo is far, far more common than T-rex

This is irrelevant. Even if t-rex physiques were more common you would still have poor physiques. At least with Johnny Bravo physiques we can tell that to get a lot of hypertrophy and good shape in the arms and shoulders you will need isolation.

I recommend you watch this video so you have a much more firm grasp as what what I am actually recommending beginners do because I get the feeling that you don't right now. [video="youtube;feY6vi6ORXo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo[/video]

Mate, I am not here to argue with you - in fact it appears we concur on many points. I just know why a lot of guys don't get the results they want.

I have to be honest, I'm sure you've seen studies that say otherwise, but I haven't seen a great deal of difference when people say they are 'hitting' front, real upper lower etc. I'm not saying it doesn't have merits for some and I'm not going to get into comparing different exercises, but for a beginner looking to bulk, 'shaping' should be the last thing on their mind.

Again, it depends on your training ethos. But of the OP just googles 'build bigger arms' he will see I am certainly not alone.

I don't want to dismiss anyone's opinion, but Sports degree students are saying very different things now to what they were 10 years. My advice would be to go with what works for your body, rather than what you have read or been told.
I'll tell you what's interesting -

I'm a member of a Facebook group which contains a very large number of the UK's best natural bodybuilders. I never hear them discuss full bodies, or upper lower. It's always some sort of split. Perhaps I should make a post about routine selection and see what they come up with.

I'm more of the belief that you should choose something, give it 100% and make sure your diet is spot on. Those who argue about which routine is the best never seem to get anywhere.
Original post by commandant
I'm more of the belief that you should choose something, give it 100% and make sure your diet is spot on.

I'm more of the belief that LOL IT TOOK 3 PAGES FOR SOMEONE TO SAY THIS
Original post by commandant
I'll tell you what's interesting -

I'm a member of a Facebook group which contains a very large number of the UK's best natural bodybuilders. I never hear them discuss full bodies, or upper lower. It's always some sort of split. Perhaps I should make a post about routine selection and see what they come up with.

I'm more of the belief that you should choose something, give it 100% and make sure your diet is spot on. Those who argue about which routine is the best never seem to get anywhere.

It shouldn't really be a surprise that the best routines from professional bodybuilders are not the best routines from novices. But I agree that, provided one is on some form of reasonable routine, diet and commitment are more important. The best diet in the world and perfect commitment aren't going to achieve much if the routine consists of 20 press ups and a few 5lb dumbbell curls though :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest