The Student Room Group

Want to change university

Hello everyone,

I am at University of Leicester, studying engineering. Having been here since October, I've been having doubts about my course. There are at times where I am enjoying it and also times where I'm really not. I have decided that I want to leave at the end of the academic year.

I would like to ask, is it possible to transfer university after deciding so late, for September 2013? Can someone tell me the process, please? I have ABC grades at A-Level and would like to apply for a Beng mechanical engineering course. Do I go through clearing, even though I don't have a ucas account anymore (well, I don't think I do)? Will my grade at the end of this year (hopefully a 2.1) give me a better chance for when I apply?

What universities would accept these current grades? I would really like to apply to the University of Birmingham. Is that a long shot?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really confused on how all this works. Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Eng-boy
Hello everyone,

I am at University of Leicester, studying engineering. Having been here since October, I've been having doubts about my course. There are at times where I am enjoying it and also times where I'm really not. I have decided that I want to leave at the end of the academic year.

I would like to ask, is it possible to transfer university after deciding so late, for September 2013? Can someone tell me the process, please? I have ABC grades at A-Level and would like to apply for a Beng mechanical engineering course. Do I go through clearing, even though I don't have a ucas account anymore (well, I don't think I do)? Will my grade at the end of this year (hopefully a 2.1) give me a better chance for when I apply?

What universities would accept these current grades? I would really like to apply to the University of Birmingham. Is that a long shot?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really confused on how all this works. Thanks in advance

Your best bet is to contact the universities ur interested in and ask them whether they will let u get onto 2nd year of the engineering course u want to do.
Reply 2
Original post by a10
Your best bet is to contact the universities ur interested in and ask them whether they will let u get onto 2nd year of the engineering course u want to do.

But would this be possible as maybe the syllabus's from what the 2 universities teach are completely different?
Reply 3
I'm in the process of transferring, from History and Sports Studies, to hopefully Motorsport Engineering.
My process was:
1) Get in contact with the course advisers at my uni, as I was considering an internal transfer. They advised me I'd have to go through UCAS for other unis, and would have to start again if I stayed here and did education.
2) Got in contact with a couple of universities who did Motorsport. They advised me that I had the grades necessary, and to apply through UCAS.
3) Asked my old head of 6th form to provide a reference, filled out UCAS (for the 3rd bloody time...), and sent it off.

So far, I've applied to 2 places, had an offer off one, and an acknowledgement of receipt of my application. I've also emailled another potential place :smile:

All of the courses I've looked at have meant starting at year 1, again, but as you've already done a year of engineering they MAY allow you to choose year 2 as point of entry on UCAS?
Reply 4
Original post by jeddows
I'm in the process of transferring, from History and Sports Studies, to hopefully Motorsport Engineering.
My process was:
1) Get in contact with the course advisers at my uni, as I was considering an internal transfer. They advised me I'd have to go through UCAS for other unis, and would have to start again if I stayed here and did education.
2) Got in contact with a couple of universities who did Motorsport. They advised me that I had the grades necessary, and to apply through UCAS.
3) Asked my old head of 6th form to provide a reference, filled out UCAS (for the 3rd bloody time...), and sent it off.

So far, I've applied to 2 places, had an offer off one, and an acknowledgement of receipt of my application. I've also emailled another potential place :smile:

All of the courses I've looked at have meant starting at year 1, again, but as you've already done a year of engineering they MAY allow you to choose year 2 as point of entry on UCAS?

Thanks for reply.

Can I apply through Ucas at this stage? And do I definitely need a reference (reason why I'm asking is because I never really got along with my teachers at 6th form)?
Reply 5
Anyone?
Reply 6
Original post by Eng-boy
Anyone?

You need to Call up Birmingham, ask if they would accept you - maybe email them your transcripts (so modular results) and your A Level grades. First call and they should let you know the process.

Once they say yes its possible (hopefully) you have to apply through UCAS, but where is says entry point put 2. for second year.

You will also need to contact student finance as sometimes they are funny about extending your funding for another year.- should be fine though. Equally, ask b'ham about accommodation e.g.. do you want halls?
Reply 7
Original post by Jackkkkk
You need to Call up Birmingham, ask if they would accept you - maybe email them your transcripts (so modular results) and your A Level grades. First call and they should let you know the process.

Once they say yes its possible (hopefully) you have to apply through UCAS, but where is says entry point put 2. for second year.

You will also need to contact student finance as sometimes they are funny about extending your funding for another year.- should be fine though. Equally, ask b'ham about accommodation e.g.. do you want halls?

Thanks for the reply, Jack.

I will ring a few universities up first thing tomorrow. And yep, I've got to sort out the accommodation and student finance (if all goes to plan)!
Hello

Thank you so much for this thread I thought I was in the only position.

Basically I wanted to transfer Universities. I'm in my second year and the courses means that I would have to start from Year One.

The main problem I am worried about is student finance. Since I'm on the £3000 fees and I've used two years of funding, will they give me the £9000 for two years and the last year I can fund myself?

Many thanks
Reply 9
Original post by Eng-boy
Thanks for reply.

Can I apply through Ucas at this stage? And do I definitely need a reference (reason why I'm asking is because I never really got along with my teachers at 6th form)?

Yeah, you'd be counted as a late applicant :smile: They don't HAVE to even consider you as a late applicant, so it's best to email them first :smile:

As for the reference, you could ask your tutor/ a tutor that you get along with to provide you with a reference? Or you could try asking them if they even need one?

I specifically asked the new unis if they'd accept one from my sixth form because they know me best!
Reply 10
Original post by jeddows
Yeah, you'd be counted as a late applicant :smile: They don't HAVE to even consider you as a late applicant, so it's best to email them first :smile:

As for the reference, you could ask your tutor/ a tutor that you get along with to provide you with a reference? Or you could try asking them if they even need one?

I specifically asked the new unis if they'd accept one from my sixth form because they know me best!

Would it be better if I called them or emailed them? And do you think a solid 2.1 this year at Leicester would help my chances?

I will probably go back to my 6th form for a reference if they ask for one.

Thank you!
Reply 11
Original post by Eng-boy
Would it be better if I called them or emailed them? And do you think a solid 2.1 this year at Leicester would help my chances?

I will probably go back to my 6th form for a reference if they ask for one.

Thank you!

I emailed them because I'm awful on the phone!
Using the advice on TSR (google TSR uni transfer FAQ), I sent them an email saying who I was, what I'm doing and where, that I want to transfer onto their course, and then listed the qualifications I've achieved already :smile:
I didn't mention the grades I'd already got (as I didn't have them when I first emailed), but saying you're on track for a 2.1 this year wouldn't hurt your chances?

(note, I'm not sure about all unis, but for finishing first year I get a Certificate of Higher Eduction from my current uni, which isn't graded).

Quick Reply

Latest