The Student Room Group

Can I use having a place on a course with lower requirements to change course?

Sorry for the confusing title.

What I’m asking is, can I change onto a course at university that has higher requirements than the course I have an offer for, because I’m already in?

I have an offer for law at a Russel Group university. I have/had pretty bad ADHD, most so in secondary school, so I only did foundation Maths and English. (I got a 5 in both)

I would much prefer to do economics but they require a 7, is there a chance that they would let me change course because I’m already in?

I have already called admissions about changing my course with no wiggle due to my grades.

Is there anything I can do?

*I am only considering University of because A) I’m looking at breaking into IB/management consulting B) I want to stay home for the duration of uni to save money.

*I do not want to sound entitled, I understand that I am very lucky to have been given a place; however I want to be certain I’ll see it through.
Original post by Ag1311

What I’m asking is, can I change onto a course at university that has higher requirements than the course I have an offer for, because I’m already in?

I have an offer for law at a Russel Group university. I have/had pretty bad ADHD, most so in secondary school, so I only did foundation Maths and English. (I got a 5 in both)

I would much prefer to do economics but they require a 7, is there a chance that they would let me change course because I’m already in?

I have already called admissions about changing my course with no wiggle due to my grades.

*I am only considering University of because A) I’m looking at breaking into IB/management consulting B) I want to stay home for the duration of uni to save money.

*I do not want to sound entitled, I understand that I am very lucky to have been given a place; however I want to be certain I’ll see it through.

Very unlikely. Universities know students try to do this and usually require the same grades as getting in by the normal route, even if there is space. With economics specifically, there is a level of mathematical ability needed and you haven't proved that.
Reply 2
As above, there ae no back-doors to sneak onto a degree that would not have accepted you originally.
Original post by Ag1311

If they’ve said no at this stage then they won’t change that answer.

If you want to do Economics then take a gap year and take AS Maths (or resit GCSE and get the required 7). Maths requirements aren’t negotiable - admitting you with a 5 when you need a 7 is setting you up to fail the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending