The Student Room Group

Girls: Do you like being given flowers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Defo like flowers, especially on a spur of the moment thing. They're nice for birthdays, or valentines day, but when you just randomly get handed a bunch, it's super special. It makes you think that someone wanted to give you a token of their love, for no other reason other than that you're really great.
In the beginning, when he was first "courting" me, my boyfriend frequently brought flowers for both me and my mum (such a charmer...) and both of us loved it. It's great to get flowers for no reason; it shows a little extra thought and kindness that brightens up one's day.
Reply 22
Not really.

Flowers are accessory. For me, personally, it's the treatment that matters most.

The most touching treatment I ever received from a guy was this:

- Invited me for lunch, and even though he did not like the food at all, he agreed to go for the place I mentioned. I don't usually meet people, but he asked me so many times that I started feeling guilty for refusing simple lunch with an old school-friend.

- We sat outside but since it was too close to the road, I wanted to shift. "No, don't go. The inside table is too large. You will be too far from me." Okay, at first, I was a bit... freaked out. But you soon realize that is a very sweet thing to say.

- I told him I would be there for one hour. He counted until the last second to let me go.

- The in-between conversation wasn't crap, but very comfortable. He was so attentive to everything, like one contemplates a flower that is about to bloom. Lol, on the contrary, I was afraid I'd end up blabbering.

- Before we parted, he first asked when we could meet again, and after we did part, sent me a few really touchy messages: "I am very very happy that I met you today... While I am driving, I can still see you smiling. You follow me." Things like that.

Although he was just a friend for me and I'd clearly told him it was only a friendly meeting, he behaved like a real gentleman. He secretly liked me (I didn't know until that day), but I can't reciprocate it because I already love someone else (and a lot).

I'd suggest you try to enhance on your treatment of her. Be nice, gentle, cute and attentive. Often, trying to follow the rhythm of life, we neglect things that don't tend to have a deadline. Make her feel she's important to you.

Even if you are gifting her flowers, emphasize on what happens before and after the 'flower giving ceremony'. Don't just leave it bland.

Flowers will wither. Memories stay. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I get bought chocolate bars instead. Its a good compromise.
Reply 24
As a spontaneous, out-of-the-blue kind of gift, yes, LOVE it. :biggrin: It's just one of those little gestures that lets the girl know you've been thinking of them.

Apart from that, flowers for anniversaries or valentines or birthdays or any other special occasions are good - BUT I would suggest you couple the flowers with something else. Because flowers die, and as a girl, I'd like to be able to keep things that remind me of those special events. :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by djpailo
I've never brought flowers. I do want to, but I waited so long (like an idiot) that now I am just saving it for something incredibly special. Maybe a proposal or something.

Nooo you're overthinking it, just do it if you want to :smile: It'll be even nicer and more of a surprise if it's not the sort of thing you'd normally do.

OP, I say go for it. As with others, for a birthday present or something I think they're a bit of a cop-out, but for just a random 'I thought you might like these' or 'I wanted to bring you something' gift I think it's perfect.
Reply 26
Most women like flowers it shows a guys romantic & thoughtful :smile:
Yes of course :smile: I would find it really sweet. I've always liked flowers (i've even got a small tattoo on my inner wrist of an iris flower) so I wouldn't mind at all getting them as a present :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by MissDavies
Thankyou :biggrin: Made my day.

I waited for you but you didn't open the door :moon:

A dog suddenly came and chase me, so I had to run away :sad:

Owh well :tongue:
No matter how 'bad' some girls like to think they are, they like kind gestures and signs of affection.

So yes.
I would rather he brought me a McDonalds.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TreeOfKnowledge
Just a bit of a weird question which has probably been answered before. (sorry). I'm going to my girlfriend’s house sometime this week and I was thinking about getting her some flowers (No special reason by the way).

so girls, do you like receiving flowers? And what do you think when you get given them?

Its nice to give flowers, but me.. I would appreciate it if someone gave me a plant to grow (because I like flowers and gardening etc..) so it would be nice for it to grow and remember, rather than the flowers having a ten day limit and after that they die.

But, yes. Flowers are great. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
Try once, and decide whether to do it again depending on her reaction.
I prefer chocolate flowers :colone:
Reply 34
Original post by desdemonata
I prefer chocolate flowers :colone:

HAHA :P
but then they die..:sigh:
Reply 36
yes! I love flowers as gifts, they really brighten up a room, and every time you look at them they remind you of the person who gave them! :colondollar:
I love getting flowers Im always trying to hint to my boyfriend as he has never got me flowers such as 'oh I love roses' 'oh arnt those flowers nice ' flowers are such a lovely gesture' as of yet he still hasnt quite got the hint that id rather flowers any day of materialistic presents
Reply 38
I love having flowers in the house so I'd like it. It's a nice gesture and not all of them die quickly. Orchids for example live for weeks, maybe months.
Reply 39
The only flower I've ever been given was from my current boyfriend, and he got me an orchid :smile: It keeps flowering if I water it, which I think is a nicer gesture than a bouquet because its lasts. That being said, I wouldn't turn my nose up at a bouquet! The gesture is very sweet, especially if it's "just because" rather than doing it for a horrible fake holiday like Valentines (especially because ones grown around that time are mass produced so they die faster!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending