The Student Room Group

The Medics Gap Year Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Siani94
Hi, thank you I took a look at your blog page :smile: I will take your advice. Is there any more advice on getting a job as a HCA, did u apply for a job via NHS jobs? Also did you go abroad anywhere or do any volunteering on top of your job?

Thanks xx

I did get offered a Job as a HCA but the paper work and everything took so long ( got offered it in december and still haven't started) and I recently got a job as a outpatients clerk at a hospital so I'll be doing that for the rest of my gap year I wish I got it earlier. I am going to spain with my friends in july and hopefully to a few festivals and road trips in August. I applied through NHS jobs I applied for 100's of jobs and I only started getting interview in november after I started writing proper Personal statement kind of letter in the additional information section. Getting a job is just as hard as getting into medical school some times lol. I would start applying straight after exams with no breaks check it every day apply to all you can even if you think you wont get it. My mistake was to take my eye off the ball and assume it would be easy.
Reply 61
Original post by ProRunner123

What if I smash A-levels, and apply to something different through UCAS extra or clearing? (Something completely different like econ, law or finance)

If you can give up on medicine so easily, were you ever really committed? That may have been what let your application down.
Original post by grace56
Still not sure, I've got Biology and chemistry coursework going on so I haven't really had time to think things through!
I have a few things lined up, hopefully qualifying as a First Responder in the summer and some work experience with an orthopaedic consultant. Also, since I'll have a bit of time on my hands I may do a scuba diving course then go volunteering on a marine conservation project! Not very medicine related i know, but I really want to do something completely different. I think I will try and do a hospital placement in another country but its all so expensive! so maybe some working to save up first..

Yes it can be pretty expensive. I paid £800 for 4 weeks, but then I have to get flights on top of that. At this point I just really want to strengthen my application....also pretty happy about travelling too :smile:
The organisation I'm going with were really helpful with fundraising ideas, but it can take a while!
Reply 63
Original post by Siani94
Hi, :smile:

I would like some advice about getting into medical school second time round and what is the best course of action after rejections:

I am in year 13 and have applied to medicine this year. I have had 3 rejections (Exeter, Sheffield and Nottingham) and BSMS have put me on the PREinterview reserve list where they have emphasised that any chance with this is low.:s-smilie: The good news is that I have offers for Clinical science at Exeter (AAB) and Medical Pharamcology at Cardiff (AAB).

I am faced with dilema:confused:, (as I am sure many others are)of what to do next year: Gap year or take my insurance. I was wondering people's opinions and what did you choose? what did you do in the gap year? What would you reccomend? How was applying second time round etc? Really would love some advice.:colondollar:

Thank youxxx

Here is just a general brief background on results etc on application:
GCSEs- 4A* 7A
AS levels- aaaab
A2 predicted - AAA
UKCAT - 625
Experience: work every sat at mencap (disabled persons charity), 4 week research project, 1 week at kings college hospital, deputy head girl....

I am in the same boat as you, applied at Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and Cardiff. Only got an interview at Liverpool and I thought it went so well and I got rejected yesterday evening. If anybody who's done a gap year and got in could offer some advice that would be appreciated!
Reply 64
Original post by Komzzz
I am in the same boat as you, applied at Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and Cardiff. Only got an interview at Liverpool and I thought it went so well and I got rejected yesterday evening. If anybody who's done a gap year and got in could offer some advice that would be appreciated!

Almost same here :frown: Got rejected from Glasgow, St Andrew's and Edinburgh. Still waiting for Aberdeen but that's gonna be a rejection, soo....

I received an offer for Medical Sciences in Edinburgh, though. I'm thinking of actually taking it, maybe going to second year straight since the conditions are pretty low. Any thoughts on that? Anyone of you guys thinks of actually taking a different path than medicine for now? You could always go graduate... I guess.
Reply 65
Original post by bazzzinga
Almost same here :frown: Got rejected from Glasgow, St Andrew's and Edinburgh. Still waiting for Aberdeen but that's gonna be a rejection, soo....

I received an offer for Medical Sciences in Edinburgh, though. I'm thinking of actually taking it, maybe going to second year straight since the conditions are pretty low. Any thoughts on that? Anyone of you guys thinks of actually taking a different path than medicine for now? You could always go graduate... I guess.

Yeah my last call is Cardiff but I know that's a rejection tbh! I have an offer in Clinical Sciences at Bradford which allows a transfer to the first year of Medicine at Leeds but its a very slim chance, I'm actually hoping I can just get 3 As and reapply because I wasn't that keen on Leeds Medical school to be honest!
Reply 66
Original post by Komzzz
Yeah my last call is Cardiff but I know that's a rejection tbh! I have an offer in Clinical Sciences at Bradford which allows a transfer to the first year of Medicine at Leeds but its a very slim chance, I'm actually hoping I can just get 3 As and reapply because I wasn't that keen on Leeds Medical school to be honest!

After my three years I have a chance of getting into second year medicine in Edin, but that's a pretty slim chance too, even though that would give me two diplomas in 7 years which seems fine..

Well hope you're wrong about Cardiff somehow :wink: and good luck with your A-levels!
Reply 67
Original post by bazzzinga
After my three years I have a chance of getting into second year medicine in Edin, but that's a pretty slim chance too, even though that would give me two diplomas in 7 years which seems fine..

Well hope you're wrong about Cardiff somehow :wink: and good luck with your A-levels!

Medicine at Edinburgh would be great! if you can do it then go for it! and I wasn't wrong about Cardiff ha! Received an email last night saying that they've finished interviewing and will not be calling anyone else, so I withdrew my application because Track won't be updated till April and I have to start on Student Finance etc! I've been looking at other degrees and I'm thinking of doing something else then going back into Medicine post-grad! A lot if people say that studying Medicine post-grad is easier once you get in because you have a good scientific background from a previous degree and can handle the pressure!
Are there any students who took a gap year with any advice? Maybe what they did and any offers etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by Toothbrush
Are there any students who took a gap year with any advice? Maybe what they did and any offers etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you look at the profile thread you can see what lots of applicants did and how they got on.

All of the medicine moderators had gap years, so it can't be a bad thing to do :wink:
Hello everyone. For any 2014 re-applicants, there's a re-applicant thread here in case anyone wants to discuss anything with people who might be in the same boat for next year! Good Luck to you all :biggrin:
Reply 71
Original post by Komzzz
Medicine at Edinburgh would be great! if you can do it then go for it! and I wasn't wrong about Cardiff ha! Received an email last night saying that they've finished interviewing and will not be calling anyone else, so I withdrew my application because Track won't be updated till April and I have to start on Student Finance etc! I've been looking at other degrees and I'm thinking of doing something else then going back into Medicine post-grad! A lot if people say that studying Medicine post-grad is easier once you get in because you have a good scientific background from a previous degree and can handle the pressure!

It may be easier to understand the content and cope with the degree's pressures but it's a lot more difficult to get into!! If you get 3 As in August then people normally advise that you take a year out instead of starting a degree. But it depends on whether you want to reapply this year or not :smile: Good luck!
Hi... I am applying this year for 2014 entry
Reply 73
Original post by Hippokrates
Don't bother with bradford it would be safer to reapply, everybody on that course is fighting for those spots.

Oh god, I know! I applied but didn't have the appropriate voluntary experience.
Good job to be honest! Ill be studying biomedical science instead, then graduate entry. Hopefully. :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by Komzzz

Well I hope that's true :smile: Besides it sounds smart especially if you want to go into research later, despite being a doctor.

And don't worry about Cardiff, Aberdeen ditched me in the same way :< well their loss ^^
Reply 75
I accepted a mental health HCA post about two weeks ago. I hope it doesn't take 3 months for the paper work to clear as I gave my 4 weeks notice at my current work place today. Lol.
Hey guys, I just had some queries as it seems I'll be taking a gap year

I didn't do well in my BMAT so alas imperial went down the drain, yet my interviews at leicester newcastle and kings wern't good enough for me to get a place

1. the BMAT applies to 4 unis. Cambridge, however, required pretty much 95% in modules, and imperial have a straight cut off. is it right that UCL average it so it doesnt matter too much if you got below in one of the units? for example, i got 5.3 (or 5.5)/4/4.5a

2.What are the 'easy-er' medicine unis to get into? Now, I know theyre all the same, matters on interview etc. etc. But, from my experience, Kings' interview was nerve-wrecking, leicesters was kinda horrible but newcastles was a nice, chilled out one (yet is one of the hardest to get into). Obviously Id like to keep my chances of getting into Medicine high, so I just wanted to know which ones may be more inclined to give offers out etc. for example, exeter, bristol etc.

3. Is it HUGELY necessary to do more wex/volunteering etc? Obviously im keen to do more, maybe from gap year students who have gotten in, how much more did you do? I dont want to get rejected/ blasted in an interview because they didnt think i did 'enough'

THANKS!

My stats are as follows:
gcse 10Astars 1a (french)
as, AAAAAAA ( including crit.think and gen.stu)
a2 (up till january) 3A* equivalents, 1A
previous ukcat was 737.5
bmat was i think 5.3/4/4.5a
Hey guys, I just had some queries as it seems I'll be taking a gap year

I didn't do well in my BMAT so alas imperial went down the drain, yet my interviews at leicester newcastle and kings wern't good enough for me to get a place

1. the BMAT applies to 4 unis. Cambridge, however, required pretty much 95% in modules, and imperial have a straight cut off. is it right that UCL average it so it doesnt matter too much if you got below in one of the units? for example, i got 5.3 (or 5.5)/4/4.5a

2.What are the 'easy-er' medicine unis to get into? Now, I know theyre all the same, matters on interview etc. etc. But, from my experience, Kings' interview was nerve-wrecking, leicesters was kinda horrible but newcastles was a nice, chilled out one (yet is one of the hardest to get into). Obviously Id like to keep my chances of getting into Medicine high, so I just wanted to know which ones may be more inclined to give offers out etc. for example, exeter, bristol etc.

3. Is it HUGELY necessary to do more wex/volunteering etc? Obviously im keen to do more, maybe from gap year students who have gotten in, how much more did you do? I dont want to get rejected/ blasted in an interview because they didnt think i did 'enough'

THANKS!

My stats are as follows:
gcse 10Astars 1a (french)
as, AAAAAAA ( including crit.think and gen.stu)
a2 (up till january) 3A* equivalents, 1A
previous ukcat was 737.5
bmat was i think 5.3/4/4.5a

Hello!

Firstly, easier medical school to get in is subjective, as it really depends on a various number of stats as to whether you'd get an interview.

Assuming you did as well in the ukcat as before you would near certainly get interviews from the following at least:

Manchester

Exeter

plymouth

Newcastle

kings

Durham

st Georges

leicester

and to be honest with those GCSEs and A2 predictions id see you getting an interview at most places that dont use bmat. i dont really know about the bmat but you can use this link to see where you are best suited to apply using your strength:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths

i wouldnt say you need vast amounts of work experience to get interviews, the experience is very useful for interviews though. i only had volunteering in a care home when i applied and got 3 interviews. but had been working as a HCA by the time interviews came round which REALLY helped, and luckily i got an offer :biggrin:

you seem to have a problem at interivew, so it would be 'easiest' (hate using that word like this) for you to apply to places where the offer:interview ratio is high, places like manchester, sheffield, leeds, durham are good examples. heres a link to show the ratios http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios

Hope i helped!
(edited 11 years ago)
Aah this is Fantastic! Are you a gappie? Do u mind if I ask where u got Into

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aah this is Fantastic! Are you a gappie? Do u mind if I ask where u got Into

Posted from TSR Mobile

i am indeed :biggrin: manchester medical school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending