The Student Room Group

Is 26 years old too late to go to University? Will I still enjoy life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm 24. I'm going to Warwick to study Biomedical Science in September, by which point I'll be 25. I'm planning on doing a Masters and hopefully a PhD, by which time I'll be about 33. It's not too late for you, mate.
Reply 41
Hi, I have just finished my Access course (Education Studies) at Bromley College. At first i was also a little unsure about getting back into education but can honestly say it has been the best thing I have done. I am Thirty nine years young and will be starting my chosen university in September.
Don't let age hold you back, follow your dreams.
Good luck :smile:
I'm not sure if I'm writing this in the correct place but oh well. I'm 34 and interested in going to university. I think Cambridge sounds amazing. Are there any scholarships or grants I can still qualify for? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to study CS i.e. Coding and security especially. Thank you in advance!
Original post by christasista
I'm not sure if I'm writing this in the correct place but oh well. I'm 34 and interested in going to university. I think Cambridge sounds amazing. Are there any scholarships or grants I can still qualify for? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to study CS i.e. Coding and security especially. Thank you in advance!

If you haven't already had a loan you'll get funding from student finance if you're a UK student. If you have there are grants, but you have to search for them.
Original post by littleguy
Too old? Not at all! I am 42 and going to university for an undergraduate course this September.

Yezzzzzurrrrrrrr!

Inspirational person.
I'm 24 almost 25 years old, thinking to start start university this year. After multi working experiences I thought I can get better career in future but my thought went wrong, here's what happened, I went to career fair few weeks ago, I prepared a lot of resume trying to let the HR know about me, unfortunately they don't care about my resume, their first question was
Original post by WhiteWalker
I don't know what I want to do with my life at the moment. I am 24 years old, but if I was to study for a foundation course or go onto an access course, I will be around 26 by the time I get onto a degree course. Is this too old for university?

Also, would something like English, Graphic Design or Journalism be a good degree to get? I am more of a creative person, so I was thinking of these degrees.

What are your thoughts?

My Nan did an English degree in her 60's because she'd never had the opportunity to when she was younger.

Your're definitely not too old.:smile:
Reply 47
To be quite honest. I started at 24 in Sheffield and felt completely different to the other 18 to 21 year olds. They get excited over rubbish things and its very difficult to relate. Also, seeing the young naive girls fall for the idiots all the time just makes me angry. It make you realise that ignorance really is bliss. I haven't enjoyed the two years so far because its very hard to make friends when people don't feel they can relate to you.

Sorry to be negative, but its the truth

Neil
Reply 48
Oh my godda!!!!
Im 45 dear, ive just finished my access course and im starting uni in September 2016!!

just remember you are never too old xxxxx:party:
I'm hoping to go to University next year after my access course. I'm not there to make friends, unlike most of the younger people, so definitely not too old!
Reply 50
Original post by emmaLC4
Oh my godda!!!!
Im 45 dear, ive just finished my access course and im starting uni in September 2016!!

just remember you are never too old xxxxx:party:

Congratulations to you!
Just finished Access course too.
I will be 52 when starting my degree September 2016. I am a single parent to a 27and 16 year old.
Give a shout out to me, if you are attending University of Winchester.
Have had good support from most family members, with one relative giving me a list of all the cons, but..... I cant stand my job, a degree is the only way forward as far as I am concerned.
Negative comments like, you should have done it years ago, do not help! What on my own with young children!
So I say go for your dream, with full determination.
Original post by WhiteWalker
I don't know what I want to do with my life at the moment. I am 24 years old, but if I was to study for a foundation course or go onto an access course, I will be around 26 by the time I get onto a degree course. Is this too old for university?

Also, would something like English, Graphic Design or Journalism be a good degree to get? I am more of a creative person, so I was thinking of these degrees.

What are your thoughts?

Hey, i'm 23 now and doing an access course now and starting at university in October at the other side of the country. Do you mean too old as to fit in and enjoy the student life or too old to do the work?

I'm certain you will be able to handle the workload but what is concerning me is fitting in :frown: I made a post on this today and most of the responses have been very positive however there was one saying it might be problem and it has stuck in my head.

Looking at it as a whole though i know that it will all be fine!

As for your courses I cant say about English but there's good money to be had in graphic design and know a couple of people who did that at uni and for journalism i would say don't do it. I'm sure i read an article where there is like 0.6% of students get journalism jobs when the graduate.

Just my 2 cents, hope it has helped somewhat.
I'm thinking of doing some teaching qualifications to be able to become a Tutor or sorts - I'm worried that I've left it too late - been to uni once but it didn't work out for me. Circumstances have changed since then but I still find the discipline and financing of the experience hasn't. I've down college courses since then so maybe I'll be able to do Uni now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
lol i'm 26 as well and still need to go to university for my dental course and we are just starting now we have 4 years and another 3 for my masters so no your not old the worst part is im from other part of the country and i need to do the course again in uk for atleast 2 years to get my degree and still not downbeat about it

hope it helps:u:
Reply 54
I was 26 when I started my degree and most people on it were over 25 at the start; so no not too old. There wasn't as much of a social social side to it compared to what people I know who went to uni at 18-21 experienced though.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'll be able to relate to this thread title soon.

Can someone clear something up for me first (apologies for the hijack) but if I can get on an access course say this September and finish it next June/July/whenever the years up and I get the necessary grades does that mean I'll be eligible to start a university course?

At the moment I just have GCSE's and assuming I did the access course full time.
Original post by Thatsthespirit
I'll be able to relate to this thread title soon.

Can someone clear something up for me first (apologies for the hijack) but if I can get on an access course say this September and finish it next June/July/whenever the years up and I get the necessary grades does that mean I'll be eligible to start a university course?

At the moment I just have GCSE's and assuming I did the access course full time.

Yes thats right. Im started my access course in september just gone and im starting university this september. You apply for uni while you are doing your access course
Original post by nomad992
Yes thats right. Im started my access course in september just gone and im starting university this september. You apply for uni while you are doing your access course

Ah cool. Do they predict your grades or something?
Question. Do a levels get looked at as mature students & how do they finance the price of courses - do we have any of the fees wavered!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by Quiet _One86
Do a levels get looked at as mature students

It depends how long ago you did them. Unis want to see evidence of recent successful study. If you've done A Levels in the past couple of years, then they may be accepted. More often, a uni will want a mature student who's been out of education for a while, to do an Access to Higher Education course instead. That has a more uni-like studying/teaching style and gives a better indicator of uni potential for mature students.

& how do they finance the price of courses - do we have any of the fees wavered!?

Which particular fees?

If you do A Levels at a college, they're free if you're under 24 and don't already have a Level 3 (A Level equivalent) qualification. If you're 24 or over then each college can set its own fees but you can get the 24+ Advanced Learning Loan to help pay the fees. If you then go on to uni, that loan is wiped out when you graduate and you don't have to repay anything. You can use the 24+ loan to pay Access course fees in the same way.

No fees will be waived just because someone is a mature student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending