The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Unit 1H June 2013 Of Mice and Men

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MrB24
What about whit and carlson? couldn't they come up?

Whit and Carlson are rather minor characters and have little context associated with them. People on this thread are confident that Slim will be the character that comes up.
Does anyone know how many points you should make in the answer? because the question is worth about 30 marks and i have to take the exam on monday
Original post by laura878027
Does anyone know how many points you should make in the answer? because the question is worth about 30 marks and i have to take the exam on monday

uh mate, pretty sure everybody on here has to!!!

but, 5 points of analysis for q A, and about 4 points for q B. Question A is easy as you are given the text to analyse and the ideas are pretty simple.
Reply 43
Original post by cjslions
OF MICE AND MEN THREAD JUNE 2013
I was wondering what everyone thought the extract could be for the exam this summer - as starting to begin revision for this exam?
I was starting to think certain things that could come up and thought:
Slim - could he come up - because I know he came up in the foundation paper in Jan 2013 but wouldn't know what to write for him - any ideas?
Scenery - I don't know whether this could come up due to what could be written in part b?
The shooting of candys dog
The fight between Curley and Lennie?
The introduction of Curley or the boss? Ranch hierarchy?
Maybe something related to George and Lennie individually - again I would really struggle with this one?
SO SHARE ANY IDEAS BELOW - Do you think my ideas are accurate and what kind fo things would you write for each one? :smile: - im banking that ones like crooks/curleys wife/ slim / george and lennie wont come up as they already have???

Where did you find the foundation paper from january 2013 from??
Reply 44
Original post by ThatGirlx
Can someone tell me anything i can write about slim??

Posted from TSR Mobile

He has natural authority 'majesty' 'royalty' unlike curley who has inherited his (through his father being the boss)
Some people say he has acheived the American Dream but really he underlines the falacy of it as he does not own his own land and is one of the few characters who doesnt even talk about his dream.
He makes George and Lennie feel more comfortable when they arrive - opens George up to tell him more about what happened in Weed.
Drowns the puppies; being cruel to be kind. shows a life lesson - life isnt easy or fair - which the workers on the ranch experience.
Most respected character on the ranch.
Only character who bothers with Crooks - displays non-racist attitudes.
Covers up for Lennie after he injures Curley.

Hope these points help :smile: bbc bitsize is a good place to look for information.. as well as spark notes, let me know if you need anymore help!
Reply 45
Original post by cycahm
Where did you find the foundation paper from january 2013 from??

Our teacher gave it to us - but we answered it as though it was higher if you get me? :smile:
Reply 46
Who came up in January 2013 FOUNDATION? Mice and men?
Reply 47
If Slim comes up then just talk about how he represents the small minority of kindness in 1930's America and the fact that the author deliberately put him in the book to show that there is a small hope in like a dark time in America. Kindness in a harsh world. Cause if you look at the things he says like 'Hi, good-lookin' to Curley's Wife, hes in a way being kind to her by calling her goodlooking when no one else would show her respect
thumbs up this comment if you think Slim will be the most likely character to be asked.
thumbs down for curley

cheers
Reply 49
Original post by cjslions
Our teacher gave it to us - but we answered it as though it was higher if you get me? :smile:

Yeh :smile: do you do an inspector calls as well? Do you know what questions came up?
If Slim comes up I reckon you will want to mention the "Godlike" imagery associated with him...
For instance as he is introduced we are presented with an almost 'priestlike' description and this is reiterated when George 'confesses' to him about telling Lennie to jump in the river; similar to the way in which a criminal would confess his crimes to a Priest. This is significant at the very end of the novella - after the death of Lennie - where Slim comforts George saying "You hadda, George. I swear you hadda" - again like a priest forgiving a criminal for his crime. It also ties in with Steinbeck's theme of the survival of the fittest - as Slim suggests it was the natural thing to do - killing Lennie - in the same way as it was the natural thing to do when he drowned the pups.
Hope this helps those wondering what to write if Slim were to come up!
Best of luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Motivated
What about Aunt Clara?

it could be something to do with Aunt Clara, but this would have to relate to women in the rest of the book as well, as there isn't a great deal to say about her individually, could refer to the women in the whore house and Curley's wife, but that is similar to a question that recently came up
Reply 52
what grade would this structure get?

4 paragraphs for an inspector calls
Point:
Evidence:
Explain:
Elaborate:
Effect on audience:
Personal opinion and refer to question:

three paragraphs for of mice and men passage(a) and 4 for part (b)

Point:
Evidence:
Explain:
Elaborate:
Effect on reader:
Historical context:
personal opinion and refer to question
Reply 53
How much approximately are you guys planning to write for each question?
Reply 54
Original post by dathtom
How much approximately are you guys planning to write for each question?

About 2 and half sides for AIC and 2 sides ish for OMAM
Reply 55
THANK GOD FOR TSR! The predictions were correct

ERIC AND SLIM

DID COME UP!
Reply 56
Original post by Monstre
They could ask about Slim/Curley in part a) then the part b) could ask something about hierarchy and how some people had more power at the time, cos you could talk about slim being the prince and curley being the boss' son etc.

Candy came up in jan 2011... i am spending my time stalking past questions and trying to predict rather than revising :/

this turned out to be exactly correct
Reply 57
Guys!!!! what was the question for a and b for OMAM
Reply 58
Original post by Avor
this turned out to be exactly correct

What did the question exactly say?
Reply 59
Original post by opyi
What did the question exactly say?

From memory:

a. Passage about Slim (Prince of the ranch, kill flies with a bullwhip etc)
How does Steinbeck present Slim?

b. How does Steinbeck show that some people were more important than others in Of Mice and Men? How does this relate to the context of the time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending