The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

I am going to the university of strathclyde to do electronic and electrical engineering and was wondering if there is anything that any past students would recommend i read up on before going into first year to give me a little headstart. I have taken a year out to work full time and I am worried that I have gotten out of the routine of studying and I want to get my head back into the mode of studying before going to university. I was also curious about what programming software is commonly used? Also would people recommend i get an arduino kit to help learn the basics before starting? Thanks
Original post by callumisbister
Also would people recommend i get an arduino kit to help learn the basics before starting? Thanks

Always a good thing to mess about with anyway. :yy:
Does anybody have the syllabus/specification in more detail than City University London gives on their website. Perhaps someone who is on the course may know??Thanks
Original post by Certislikz
Does anybody have the syllabus/specification in more detail than City University London gives on their website. Perhaps someone who is on the course may know??Thanks

More detailed than https://www.city.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/339653/USELEB-BEng-Hons-Electrical-and-Electronic-Engineering.pdf ?

Yes in that file it tells you what modules but doesn't go into saying what will be taught in those modules. I want to do some work before hand and im stuck to doing general stuff instead of actually knowing what the syllabus is .
Yes in that file it tells you what modules but doesn't go into saying what will be taught in those modules. I want to do some work before hand and im stuck to doing general stuff instead of actually knowing what the syllabus is .

Contact the department if you need more information, but there's really no need to try to get ahead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 566
So whose starting this course in 2018 VM mequote me here
Reply 567
So did everyone who did this course study, revise, make notes etc...
:biggrin:
:colondollar:
Reply 568
I meant how did they do. What I said before 😂 and how much of it?
Hey anyone still around?
A few questions:

(.)Expectation vs reality now that you've done the course.
(.)Best advice you would give to a someone just starting their first year.
(.)How to better manage your time as a student, which courses/concepts to look out for.
(.)Any other general advice.
1. Didnt really have any expectations so cant comment on that.
2. First year is general for almost all engineering disciplines. I didn't do any work in the summer. But if you want to you can brush up on Calculus I and maths in general. Basic electronics. M1 and M2 kinematics. Just a very brief recap of a levels. All in all dont stress too much in the first year it isn't that stress worthy compared to other years. Just stay on top of things.
3. Just basic organisation do a few hours 2 or 3 a day. Some days I didnt bother as I was comfortable in the topics taught.
4. Depending on the university you go to your professor with all the knowledge they know arent always the best teachers. So I advise you to consult the great YouTube. It really helps they are some great video series on there.

Original post by SkoomaBottle
Hey anyone still around?
A few questions:

(.)Expectation vs reality now that you've done the course.
(.)Best advice you would give to a someone just starting their first year.
(.)How to better manage your time as a student, which courses/concepts to look out for.
(.)Any other general advice.
Do you have any laptop recommendations?
I already own a good PC, but not sure if it's a wise decision to take with me. That said, one of the options could be to buy a cheap laptop and take the PC at the risk of it being stolen, the other is to buy a laptop sufficient enough to do CAD work, but I'm not sure how needed a laptop with graphics card is for university.
1. Didnt really have any expectations so cant comment on that.
2. First year is general for almost all engineering disciplines. I didn't do any work in the summer. But if you want to you can brush up on Calculus I and maths in general. Basic electronics. M1 and M2 kinematics. Just a very brief recap of a levels. All in all dont stress too much in the first year it isn't that stress worthy compared to other years. Just stay on top of things.
3. Just basic organisation do a few hours 2 or 3 a day. Some days I didnt bother as I was comfortable in the topics taught.
4. Depending on the university you go to your professor with all the knowledge they know arent always the best teachers. So I advise you to consult the great YouTube. It really helps they are some great video series on there.
Honestly, I just had my macbook pro 2016 15inch touch bar. And it was able to do all of the work for year 1....its better to have a windows laptop though as most computers at university will be windows too.

Also yeah I guess you would need a good enough laptop to run cad and matlab. I stayed at home so I had my PC for my cad work. Or you could always do it at uni.

I really only ever used my laptop for matlab otherwise it was for general work. And matlab is fairly light to run.
Do you have any laptop recommendations?
I already own a good PC, but not sure if it's a wise decision to take with me. That said, one of the options could be to buy a cheap laptop and take the PC at the risk of it being stolen, the other is to buy a laptop sufficient enough to do CAD work, but I'm not sure how needed a laptop with graphics card is for university.
Thanks for the reply!
One more question; do you think that it's worth doing an extra year at university for the 'Industrial year', or simply finishing off the three year program?
Honestly, I just had my macbook pro 2016 15inch touch bar. And it was able to do all of the work for year 1....its better to have a windows laptop though as most computers at university will be windows too.

Also yeah I guess you would need a good enough laptop to run cad and matlab. I stayed at home so I had my PC for my cad work. Or you could always do it at uni.

I really only ever used my laptop for matlab otherwise it was for general work. And matlab is fairly light to run.
Good question.

I believe it depends on where you are situated in the UK and whether or not you can secure a summer placement after your 2nd year. And depends how good the industrial placement is you would to research the company and ask older students if you have the chance. Or see reviews on Google.

I believe it would be advantageous in ways and in other ways doesn't matter too much.

Most of the people I know didnt do an industrial year, so when they left uni they took placements and work from smaller companies and built their portfolio up and then moved on to bigger companies and different countries/cities.
Thanks for the reply!
One more question; do you think that it's worth doing an extra year at university for the 'Industrial year', or simply finishing off the three year program?
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
Haha, you sound like a total legend. :cool:

Yeh, my two 'study buddies' were convinced that ALL of the problems i had come up with for the final exam in our course were NOT going to be on the test at all. "Oh, he wouldn't ask us that, he wouldn't ask us this....". When the shouting was done, i had predicted 100% of the exam questions, and had NO extras. They (and the prof) were astounded. I was a little surprised myself - but i hid it well!! Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest