The Student Room Group

civil engineering graduates

So I've seen a few posts of graduates (in different fields, not only engineering) who've graduated from good universities with a decent qualification but can't find a job or end up earning £15k a year.

Im hoping to start civil engineering and it got me thinking how civil engineering graduates are doing. From my research apparently civil engineers are one of the most underpaid professions starting around £22k (which still sounds a whole lot better than £15k ), but I want to hear from the real people rather than some stats I find on the internet.

So civil engineering graduates, did you manage to find a job after graduating and was it related to the degree? Also was it hard landing a job? How's the pay? And is the general job life how you expected?
Reply 1
Have you solved this?
I'm also interested in studying civil engineering and am interested in knowing the information you require.
Reply 2
Original post by GMT
Have you solved this?
I'm also interested in studying civil engineering and am interested in knowing the information you require.

Unfortunately no. I have however done more research and there are definitely jobs out there, but I think we really need to be at the top of our game, i.e, a good qualification, good university, good people skills, extra curriculum activities etc.

It would be nice if any civil engineering graduates would post their experiences though!

I'll be starting the course in a few weeks so I guess I'll have the chance to talk to professors and people in the profession.
Reply 3
Thank you :smile:
Hello eggfriedrice,

I graduated with an MEng in Civil Engineering at the university of strathclyde therefore I may be of some help.

Before finishing the course I would say that roughly 80% of students had already secured graduate positions in varying disciplines. After graduation the number is now upto around 90-95% with another small % going travelling or taking a gap year. (My course had around 70-80 students at the end).

So to conclude, YES there is plenty of jobs out there in every field in Civil Engineering and the opportunities are endless. The salaries aren't too bad either but vary depending which field you go into.
Reply 5
I graduated university with a 2.2 bachelors degree in civil engineering. I landed a job after my 2nd interview and I’m on 28k a year.It’s not all about grades. If you have a strong first impression they will provide training. Don’t lose hope!
I graduated in 2014 and I have been working for 4 years in civil engineering company. Best advice I can give you is that find some placement over the summer to build up you CV while studying. You will be in stronger position to secure Job. Civil engineer have different discipline and depends on what topics interest you mostly. In terms of salary, it will increase as you progress and If you really want to earn high salary, I would recommend becoming setting out engineers. After two years experience you could earn above 40k p/a.

Any questions you have DM me.
OP was 6 years ago...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending