The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Where do British LSE graduates work?

I am aware (according to Discover Uni) that almost all work in England, however I am wondering what proportion of those graduates would be working in London, where living costs are astronomically higher.
I am specifically wondering about graduates in Politics, who have a much higher earning potential than most politics graduates from other unis, and even similar or slightly higher earnings to most STEM courses. Although I am concerned this data may be hiding the fact LSE politics graduates earn more simply because they require the higher salaries just to live in London, as opposed to graduates in engineering, who may earn the same or slightly less, but live in much cheaper areas.
Hi - I studied History and Politics at LSE and graduated 3 years ago.

I then joined the Civil Service Fast Stream, and did three year-long postings in different government departments. While on the scheme, I earned about £30,000 a year.

I have now successfully completed the Fast Stream
and been promoted to a higher grade - I’m now in permanent civil service job earning around £55,000.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Obviously, it’s the public sector, so salaries are lower than jobs of an equivalent level in the private sector, though the pension is really good.

I’m also very happy to be earning £55,000 at 24 years old! It was definitely worth 3 years at a slightly lower salary to get to this point.

There is, however, limited salary progression from this point within the civil service - the next level up is a big increase in responsibility and workload for only about £10,000 more.

I may decide to leave the civil service 5-10 years down the line rather than seek to move up within it, but I have no firm plans at this point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending