The Student Room Group

Funding A Second Degree In Nursing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi hope someone can help... I have already had funding for a degree, if I do a nursing degree will I still get help with the full 3 years tuition fees or is it only 2? a friend said I would have to pay for the 1st year myself? thanks nicci xxx
Original post by Tango2
Hi, just to confirm. You already have a degree, so when you went to study nursing, did you have to complete the full 3 years, or did you only have to study for 2 years?

The 2 year courses are usually PGDip , so your theory work will be assessed at NQF 7

a lot of the PGDip courses are aimed at people with life or sociial science first degrees, to allow them to pack 12 months work into 6 (CFP) work and 24 months work into 18 (branch)
Reply 22
Right using the SLC calculator I enter that I already have a degree, that I'm applying to nursing and it's a professional qualification.

Maintenance Loan - Paid directly to you £3731
Long Courses Loan - Paid directly to you £1032

If I select no to professional qualification

You indicated that you've previously studied in Higher Education and are not working towards a professional qualification during your new course. As a result you may not be eligible for student finance.

To discuss your circumstances and receive further information on this matter, please contact Student Finance England on 0300 100 0607.

Does this mean I might get nothing other than the bursary?
Original post by dg2009
Right using the SLC calculator I enter that I already have a degree, that I'm applying to nursing and it's a professional qualification.

If I select no to professional qualification

Does this mean I might get nothing other than the bursary?

Where are you applying?
England?
As if you are doing an NHS course like nursing it does result in a professional qualification.
You get a means tested bursary and a reduced maintenance loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Regarding this, I believe its either NHS or SLC that will fund a pgdip nursing course? One or the other? In which case, should I be selecting option 02, UK student finance services in the student finance section of the application form?
ok i got lost with the comments. I currently have a psychology degree but I also want to go into nursing (mental health). Did you say they did in fact eventually give you the funding to do this?
Original post by wardtashaxo
ok i got lost with the comments. I currently have a psychology degree but I also want to go into nursing (mental health). Did you say they did in fact eventually give you the funding to do this?

As long as you haven't previously completed a NHS funded course you will get funding to go into nursing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
I have now completed a degree and has 4 years funding but I should have choose nursing. Could I be funded again? To do a 3 year nursing degree!
Original post by Jenean
I have now completed a degree and has 4 years funding but I should have choose nursing. Could I be funded again? To do a 3 year nursing degree!

Currently, they would fund you for nursing as a second degree so yes:smile:
Hi this is the most relevant thread I can find! I'm thinking about doing either nursing or midwifery (as a graduate of a life science) if I do the nursing course I can apply to an accelerated one (happy days ☺️) but I can't find any accelerated midwifery courses so I presume non exist. Are they both eligible for funding by the nhs? Even though I already have a degree that was funded by student finance? Thank you!!
Original post by Charlottemc1234
Hi this is the most relevant thread I can find! I'm thinking about doing either nursing or midwifery (as a graduate of a life science) if I do the nursing course I can apply to an accelerated one (happy days ☺️) but I can't find any accelerated midwifery courses so I presume non exist. Are they both eligible for funding by the nhs? Even though I already have a degree that was funded by student finance? Thank you!!

Yes they are. However, some Pgdips arent eligible for sfe loans so you would probably only get nhs bursary.
Yeah I wouldn't be eligible for a pgdip as I have a microbiology degree so I would have to do a bsc in midwifery I think thank you for the help!
I have a pharmacology degree and recently got an offer for MSC nursing for 2 years In scotland.I have applied through SAAS for the bursary, but I need the loan also.

I was told that I am not eligible for a loan from student finance England because its a 2 years postgraduate course

Can anyone give me advice on this, please?

thanks

junior
Original post by juniorcares
I have a pharmacology degree and recently got an offer for MSC nursing for 2 years In scotland.I have applied through SAAS for the bursary, but I need the loan also.

I was told that I am not eligible for a loan from student finance England because its a 2 years postgraduate course

Can anyone give me advice on this, please?

thanks

junior

I don't believe you can get post grad loans from sfe. There is a sfe forum on here where you can ask questions and they also have a Facebook page if ringing is no good to you.
However, when I enquired, I was told post grad funding is a no no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Sorry to hijack your post also, but just wanting to clarify that even though I have already completed a BSc in Biology with Biochemistry, the NHS will pay my tuition fees to do a second degree in physiotherapy? If so, this would make my day!
Original post by Grezwold
Sorry to hijack your post also, but just wanting to clarify that even though I have already completed a BSc in Biology with Biochemistry, the NHS will pay my tuition fees to do a second degree in physiotherapy? If so, this would make my day!

yes they will (for one more year, it changes in 2017).
Reply 36
Hi, just trying to find some answers...
I previously studied criminology bsc and had 4 years student finance..
Am I still eligible to get a maintence loan to cover me for the 3 years of nursing ?
Original post by Kryssyg
Hi, just trying to find some answers...
I previously studied criminology bsc and had 4 years student finance..
Am I still eligible to get a maintence loan to cover me for the 3 years of nursing ?

Yes as nursing is exempt from sfe terms of loans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone had any issues with NHS bursary once doing the second degree?
I'm desperately trying to find out if I am able to class myself as an independent student rather than dependent, I did only graduate two years ago and I don't think it is fair that my parents income should be taken into account when I have been paying them rent and they have already funded me through my first degree :frown: NHS bursary's aren't being particular helpful when I am contacting them on the Facebook page either.
Hi guys
I really hope someone can help me :frown:
I studied bsc hons adult nursing for 3 years and received an NHS bursary and a reduced maintenance loan. As of sept 2015 I am studying bsc hons shortened midwifery for which I am seconded for by NHS Northwest. I have taken a pay cut to do this and was receiving some loan, but now student finance have said I'm entitled to nothing and have to pay it back, saying that I am not entitled as I am seconded and this is my second degree which is at the equivalent level to my first. I have received conflicting advice from slc, does anyone have any clarification on this?
Thanks
Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending