The Student Room Group

Background check after final round interview.

Hi guys,
My friend has had a late start in his interest in banking. I've been speaking to him about his progress and he told me he had met with a bulge bracket firm about two weeks ago for what was a final round lunch (non milkround). Is it customary to have to wait two weeks after a final round interview/lunch with BB firm? He thinks that may be conducting a background check on him and that's why it is taking so long...could this be the reason? He's a little concerned because he didn't graduate on time (due to personal reasons) and that he only disclosed that information once during the interview process. Would this be the reason for the delay or does it usually take two weeks to decide after a final round? Any help on the turnaround times would be great. He is thinking of calling HR to confirm his graduation situation, but I'm not sure that is such a great idea. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

rboogie
Hi guys,
My friend has had a late start in his interest in banking. I've been speaking to him about his progress and he told me he had met with a bulge bracket firm about two weeks ago for what was a final round lunch (non milkround). Is it customary to have to wait two weeks after a final round interview/lunch with BB firm? He thinks that may be conducting a background check on him and that's why it is taking so long...could this be the reason? He's a little concerned because he didn't graduate on time (due to personal reasons) and that he only disclosed that information once during the interview process. Would this be the reason for the delay or does it usually take two weeks to decide after a final round? Any help on the turnaround times would be great. He is thinking of calling HR to confirm his graduation situation, but I'm not sure that is such a great idea. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If he made them aware of it then he's not hidden anything and if there are personal reasons that complicated his graduation then I'm sure that appropriate university staff will point this out in the reference checks. However, President_Ben is very knowledgeable on this area so I'll leave him to confirm details...
Reply 2
hmm, thanks. Does a company normally take this long to perform such a check (he was told it would take two weeks for them to decide) or could they be extremely busy? I guess his anxiety is taking a toll on everyone so if I can calm him, that'd be cool. He went through 7 or 8 rounds so he's a little bit on pins and needles. Do companies conduct check for passports/grades before they give out offers?
Most BBs take a lot less than 2 two weeks to get back to people. Their turnaround is usually a week.

Background screening at graduate level will almost certainly require the handing over of information by him (and then him releasing consent to have data accessed).

Checking people without their consent for 'as much as you can find' is expensive and time-consuming. They certainly won't bother doing this on a graduate.

I'd call them up.

The graduation situation shouldn't make much/any difference.
rboogie
hmm, thanks. Does a company normally take this long to perform such a check (he was told it would take two weeks for them to decide) or could they be extremely busy? I guess his anxiety is taking a toll on everyone so if I can calm him, that'd be cool. He went through 7 or 8 rounds so he's a little bit on pins and needles.

Two weeks for a decision is a long time! A background screening usually takes 15 working days to be done 'in full' although they can be hurried significantly... depending on the demands of the client but banks don't usually sweat it too hard to get a graduate checked.

Do companies conduct check for passports/grades before they give out offers?

After. Too expensive to do before in case the person doesn't sign the contract.
President_Ben
Two weeks for a decision is a long time! A background screening usually takes 15 working days to be done 'in full' although they can be hurried significantly... depending on the demands of the client but banks don't usually sweat it too hard to get a graduate checked.

After. Too expensive to do before in case the person doesn't sign the contract.

So Ben what can they ACTUALLY do if they find something you haven't said? I assume they are perfectly capable of withdrawing their offer, but what kind of things to they go through to check up on you? University records and Googling you seem the most obvious but what else?
Reply 6
LBC213
So Ben what can they ACTUALLY do if they find something you haven't said? I assume they are perfectly capable of withdrawing their offer, but what kind of things to they go through to check up on you? University records and Googling you seem the most obvious but what else?

I know someone who had a BB offer withdrawen because one measly date on his A-level certificates didn't match with what he put down on his application form (some issue with his name led to his AS Biology certificate to be dated Jan 2005, when infact he sat them in 2003. Confusing i know). It's stuff like this which i've heard they are quite particular about.
el_capitan
I know someone who had a BB offer withdrawen because one measly date on his A-level certificates didn't match with what he put down on his application form (some issue with his name led to his AS Biology certificate to be dated Jan 2005, when infact he sat them in 2003. Confusing i know). It's stuff like this which i've heard they are quite particular about.

That sounds extremely unlikely to me since that would be a minor discrepancy. Usually, you'd need to find more (and more substantial ones) to get a contract terminated - almost certainly more than one too (unless it was something huge like faking you had worked for someone or faking a professional qualfication which is needed in order to do the job)

Get you fired/withdraw the offer. If they were anal, they could claim fraud/something civil but I've never heard of that happening.

There are databases of everything and records of lots of other things too. Googling isn't really used. Would you really trust google to make what is essentially a business decision? Would you base the reputation of what your company gives to clients based on what you can find via google? No way.
Reply 8
President_Ben
That sounds extremely unlikely to me since that would be a minor discrepancy. Usually, you'd need to find more (and more substantial ones) to get a contract terminated - almost certainly more than one too (unless it was something huge like faking you had worked for someone or faking a professional qualfication which is needed in order to do the job)

Get you fired/withdraw the offer. If they were anal, they could claim fraud/something civil but I've never heard of that happening.

There are databases of everything and records of lots of other things too. Googling isn't really used. Would you really trust google to make what is essentially a business decision? Would you base the reputation of what your company gives to clients based on what you can find via google? No way.

I know what you mean Ben, it didn't seem like the most plausible story to tell when he explained it to me. Maybe he's hiding something I don't know. Either way he had his contract terminated, that much I do know :smile:
President_Ben

There are databases of everything and records of lots of other things too.

Lol that sounds quite freaky, databases of what kinds of things exactly? I'm a bit paranoid when people can check up on things about me that I don't know about..

Fair point on the Googling, I know they wouldn't use Google to hire you but things discovered on it could may well be used not to hire you or to fire you. I read an article recently about how companies were turning to Google to dig up nuggets of information about a potential candidate, and a few have been fired for things found on the internet.
Well, if it is credible - as in genuinely credible - news, then it'll probably be on the news databases like Factiva.

And databases exist for virtually everything - and someone will do the check 'for the checking group'... outsourcing certain things because they are easier done by someone else - very common with international things like doing credit checks in the USA/abroad in general.
Reply 11
Reply 12
TheAsianProdigy
President_Ben:

If I have claimed to work somewhere (but I didn't), and if the screening firm were to phone up that place and ask if I worked there, and the owners said 'yes', and if there weren't any tax/ni records of me at that place, would you believe I worked there? Would this be the end of the story, with regards to the screening at the very least?

Feeling guilty about something ? :wink:
Reply 13
The thing is - he was told it would take two weeks at the final round - which I told them means they're busy. Could there be any reason other than background checks for them to pre-emptively say that the turnaround time would be two weeks? It just seems odd, but I think the division he has applied to is severely understaffed, and are almost too busy to tell him either way.
Reply 14
hmm, I'd also add that he is expected to start in early July, which may be why they're conducting checks on him pre-emptively. I wouldn't put it past a company to check on someone without their awareness. My turnaround was instaneous as I was offered a job at my final round - so I have no experience with his situation at all.
TheAsianProdigy
President_Ben:

If I have claimed to work somewhere (but I didn't), and if the screening firm were to phone up that place and ask if I worked there, and the owners said 'yes', and if there weren't any tax/ni records of me at that place, would you believe I worked there? Would this be the end of the story, with regards to the screening at the very least?

If there's no record of you paying taxes but you should have, that's a bigger problem than not having some extra work experience on your application form...

...and if the place of work is some kind of small shop type thing (rather than bigger and regulated company), it may well not get checked because they don't care (which says what they think of it during the recruitment process, I suspect)
There won't be pre-emptive checks on a grad going through a recruitment process. There's no reason for a bank to spend hundreds of pounds on getting a check done when they don't even know if the person plans to work for them. It's not a problem at all to wait until they have signed the contract - and then do it because it's not like people (within the first couple weeks or less on a job) are doing overly sensitive things.

You'd pre-emp on someone you're about to headhunt to see if it's worth 'doing the headhunt' (which is more expensive since headhunting usually still involves, allegedly, things like being left sent packages of a grand or so with notes attached or something equally 'wow')
Reply 17
touche man, thanks for the info. He was told two weeks so I guess he has to sweat it out.
When you apply for Easter/spring taster weeks, do they bother to check your first-year uni results?
Reply 19
With respect to what TheAsianProdigy said. I'm presently finding myself in a situation quite relevant to the discussion. It's amazing how thorough they are with the background check, so thought I'd share this..

The first year of my Economics degree I worked part-time doing marketing, aimed at the uni's student population, for a national newspaper. At the time, it was a relatively new scheme, so the students doing this got paid very little and only twice, and that was by check.

Of course I have it on my CV that I did this, and it's now nearly 4 years on. Turns out my boss, who was the only one at the newspaper I had contact with, left his job for something else without leaving contact details.

The background check agency calls the headoffice of the newspaper and they say that it's perfectly plausible that I worked for them, but it cannot be confirmed without talking to my boss, who left the company without giving contact details.

So the background check agency contacts me, asking for the payslips, that is, the upper part of the checks I got. Thank god I kept them! So I have to send those (copies are ok) and then they draw up a declaration that I have to sign saying that I am telling the truth about this.

They are thorough!!

Latest

Trending

Trending