The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

fuglyduckling
When you apply for Easter/spring taster weeks, do they bother to check your first-year uni results?

No. Most people don't have them, it takes too long, costs too much and there's no regulatory need since you're not an 'employee'.

Nyxanu, which company did your check/are you working for?
Reply 21
Kroll is doing my check and I'll be an intern this summer in Canary Wharf.

I understand Kroll is the company many banks use.
Reply 22
Evidently what they will draw up for me to sign is a "Statement of Fact", stating the employer (newspaper) and the dates I worked for them.
Reply 23
Nyxanu
Kroll is doing my check and I'll be an intern this summer in Canary Wharf.

I understand Kroll is the company many banks use.

unless i'm mistaken you might find yourself rather lost if you're looking for Kroll in Canary Wharf!
Reply 24
Not interning for Kroll, not that I have anything against them! It's just the company that the bank I will be working for is using to do the background check.
Reply 25
Nyxanu
Not interning for Kroll, not that I have anything against them! It's just the company that the bank I will be working for is using to do the background check.

gotcha
I'm pleasently surprised given how **** Kroll usually are.

fugly: you'd write down whatever applies. If you have first year grades (good ones), note them on your CV. Whatever works best for you.
Reply 27
I was very surprised about how truly thorough they are, really checking every single fact on your CV, and I only have a one-page CV! Like, not just that I did a job, also that I did specific things in that job which I stated. e.g. If you were ranked 1st out of 30 colleagues and said so on your CV, they ask your past employer about that. Fair enough, for sure, but wow!! Easy to believe these checks aren't cheap, as someone already mentioned.

It must be said, that as well as Kroll not being **** in this specific instance, the person I have been dealing with as they try to confirm my employment, has been really lovely. Really polite and also prompt whenever I've emailed to ask something.

Just out of curiousity, in what aspect are they normally ****? Do you mean that they don't check people thoroughly enough? That they are rude? Or something else?

This is my first experience with them. I only know from a friend in the industry that it's a common company for banks to use for performing bankground checks.
They don't always check all that thoroughly or use methods which are debatable in suitability.

The big rival to Kroll is CRG, though their screening department has just JVed with an American one which makes it bigger and beefier than Kroll (probably). The banks are pretty evenly split between them (or have in-housed staff from either of those). Any others are just tight-fisted.

Latest

Trending

Trending