The Student Room Group

HYMS vs MHS

Hiya!

I'm currently sitting on two offers for Medical school, one from Hull York and one from Manchester. The problem is that I'm having a very difficult time choosing which one to go to!

I've looked at both universities and I'm having such a tough time with this because while HYMS really does seem to have a better course structure, Manchester is much more pleasingly sociable. The decision would be easier if it wasn't 5/6 years of my life, especially considering (fingers crossed) I'll be coming out the other side a doctor in both cases! When I think about why I want to go to each place over the other, I come up with this tally:

HYMS:

A more structured course than Manchester, using the 'guided discovery' method of teaching which I'm very impressed with.

There is a much more agreeable student to staff ratio at about 5.6 (as opposed to Manchester's 8.6), at least according to the Guardian.

Earlier patient contact than Manchester

Higher in the league tables than Manchester

Manchester:

The archetypal student city (which would be a welcome change from my current, rural setting). A very vibrant place with a more diverse student body; lots of people to meet.

Much less likely to get boring, as far as night-life is concerned.

Easier to get to from where I live, and closer to friends and family who live up in that region.

More established societies than HYMS.

Excellently resourced.

Of course, I've already visited HYMS and will be visiting Manchester very soon but it's almost guaranteed that both places only bang on about why their university is good. I already know someone who went to HYMS and I can dig up as much as I like about it (funnily enough, he suggested Manchester), though what would be very useful is if someone from Manchester could tell me what it was actually like.

You can't know until you're there, though I'd still like to have the best possible idea before making such a big decision! Thanks in advance. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JimJamDew
Hiya!

I'm currently sitting on two offers for Medical school, one from Hull York and one from Manchester. The problem is that I'm having a very difficult time choosing which one to go to!

I've looked at both universities and I'm having such a tough time with this because while HYMS really does seem to have a better course structure, Manchester is much more pleasingly sociable. The decision would be easier if it wasn't 5/6 years of my life, especially considering (fingers crossed) I'll be coming out the other side a doctor in both cases! When I think about why I want to go to each place over the other, I come up with this tally:

HYMS:

A more structured course than Manchester, using the 'guided discovery' method of teaching which I'm very impressed with.

There is a much more agreeable student to staff ratio at about 5.6 (as opposed to Manchester's 8.6), at least according to the Guardian.

Manchester:

The archetypal student city (which would be a welcome change from my current, rural setting). A very vibrant place with a more diverse student body; lots of people to meet.

Easier to get to from where I live, and closer to friends and family who live up in that region.

Excellently resourced.

Of course, I've already visited HYMS and will be visiting Manchester very soon but it's almost guaranteed that both places only bang on about why their university is good. I already know someone who went to HYMS and I can dig up as much as I like about it (funnily enough, he suggested Manchester), though what would be very useful is if someone from Manchester could tell me what it was actually like.

You can't know until you're there, though I'd still like to have the best possible idea before making such a big decision! Thanks in advance. :smile:

I thought you were referring to Harvard, Yale, MIT and Stanford.
I know reputation isn't as important for Medicine, but Manchester is a world-leading research institution with most nobel prizes than any other British university other than Oxbridge, a strong international reputation and ranking (usually ranked in the top 30 best universities in the world) and an impressive alumni. I think Manchester would be the far better choice than Hull.
Edit: oh sorry Hull York. Well same applies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JimJamDew
Hiya!

HYMS:

Manchester:

Excellently resourced.

I'm not going to be very useful here, but I'm just soo glad to see someone bothering to look up the course and modules they'll be studying as opposed to JUST the nightlife of their particular uni.
Reply 3
At Manchester you may be sent to Lancashire for clinical years, so you may not necesarily remain in manch for 5 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Firstly, congrats on getting into not one, but two medical schools! =D Amazing stuff!

As for the decisions, I wouldn't suggest taking medical school reputation into consideration when deciding on which medical school to go to (unless you want to work abroad, and even in that case, most other unis/medical schools abroad only will be impressed if you're a medic from Oxbridge). Afterall, we're all going into medical (hopefully) not for prestige! Some of the criteria used and emphasised upon by various rankings are not reeeally applicable to medical schools (e.g. job prospects) and there's always a small difference between the highest and lowest ranked isntitutions anyway and this always flucuates every year (except for Oxbridge, Edinburgh, Imperial, UCL really!). Also, the GMC does not take your medical school into consideration when allocation foundation posts and etc.

From what I've seen and asked around (I'm an undergraduate student btw, so I've my links =P), all unis, medical schools are very well resourced. Even if they aren't, you can always request your department/dept library representatives to order certain books.

You seem to be much more keen on the course structure at HYMS, I think that should be a very important deciding factor in your choices. =]

Perhaps you could look a bit more into the courses at both and have a look around both places on open days or something if you can?

I hope this kind of helped!
Reply 5
My reliable source from HYMS tells me that the teaching there is really fantastic (though I guess it's probably good wherever you go). If not simply because I'm able to dig up so much more about it, HYMS to me seems like the safer option, though Manchester sounds like the more enjoyable option. I'd hate to be stuck somewhere I find really boring for 5 years and that's what worries me about Hull-York.

I visited Manchester's Offer Holders' day and, of course, the students they brought in had lots of nice things to say about it. What I'd really like, though, is if a student without invested interest could tell me what the teaching at Manchester is really like.
Manchester, that's where I'm going!

Imagine the disgust if you ended up being placed at hull!
Reply 7
Hi :smile: Well done on getting two offers that's amazing! I'm having similar thoughts.. Though HYMS was my only offer, and it wasn't particularly my first choice. I wasn't too keen on going to HYMS simply because I'd prefer a larger city with better nightlife. Though I agree the teaching standards at HYMS seem brilliant compared to a lot of medical schools! I was just wondering whether anyone has any contacts of current students studying at HYMS that I could speak to? Thanks and good luck with your decision!
Reply 8
Original post by cgcheetham
Hi :smile: Well done on getting two offers that's amazing! I'm having similar thoughts.. Though HYMS was my only offer, and it wasn't particularly my first choice. I wasn't too keen on going to HYMS simply because I'd prefer a larger city with better nightlife. Though I agree the teaching standards at HYMS seem brilliant compared to a lot of medical schools! I was just wondering whether anyone has any contacts of current students studying at HYMS that I could speak to? Thanks and good luck with your decision!

Did you get in? If so how did you find it? I'm thinking of applying to HYMS but hold similar reservations to you and OP

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending