The Student Room Group

2013 AQA GCSE ISA grade boundaries?

Scroll to see replies

You mean the sciences? Our teachers said they had a meeting with the AQA examiner and apparently the provisional boundary for A* is 41 and A is 37, and they could go up or down by a maximum of 1 mark, but that's just what I heard.
Reply 21
Original post by jonathanyyt
You mean the sciences? Our teachers said they had a meeting with the AQA examiner and apparently the provisional boundary for A* is 41 and A is 37, and they could go up or down by a maximum of 1 mark, but that's just what I heard.

thanks, did the examiners say why the grade boundaries are the way they are
Reply 22
can anyone pls pls help me??? im so confused!
if i get about 60 in non calculator H and 70 in calculator H paper what grade would that be? im not sure if i should do foundation or higher any advice??
thanx sarah
Why do you lot think they'll be so low when last year, granted it was out of 40, it was 36/40 for an A*????????????????
To get the safest ISA grade boundaries, double your score to get your UMS, your actual UMS will be higher but it's a starting point. It's the lowest UMS you will get...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Captain Anonymous
To get the safest ISA grade boundaries, double your score to get your UMS, your actual UMS will be higher but it's a starting point. It's the lowest UMS you will get...

Posted from TSR Mobile

any source to prove this?
Original post by JPL9457
any source to prove this?

Nope, but it's makes sense as it means that the only way to get 100ums is to get 50/50 which isn't true as for the new spec you can loose like 3 marks for example and get 100 UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Hi, I got these results for chemistry and I was wondering if you could help me find out how much I needed for an A for the predicted:
Unit 1 : 73
Unit 2 : 82
Unit 3 : predicted 80
ISA : 39/50
Reply 28
Original post by Captain Anonymous
Nope, but it's makes sense as it means that the only way to get 100ums is to get 50/50 which isn't true as for the new spec you can loose like 3 marks for example and get 100 UMS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I got these results for chemistry and I was wondering if you could help me find out how much I needed for an A for the predicted:
Reply 29
Original post by Shia

Well, I'm no expert but if we double your ISA we get:

ISA: 78
Unit 1: 73
Unit 2: 82

An A is 320 out of a max 400 UMS points. If we go by the strictest marking for the ISA, you'll need to get 87 on Unit 3 to get an A overall. Although, you'll probably need a bit less than that as the ISA is likely to give you a few more marks than 78, up to 81/82 depending on how everyone found the test across the country. Hope I helped.
To cut a long story short, no one knows what the grade boundaries will be until they're released on results day. However, the A* boundary will likely be somewhere between 39 and 45.
Reply 31
Eh? I got 44/50 and teacher told me it was an A. Apparently 49+ is 100UMS and 45/50 is A* >:frown: Idek because around the site it seems that EVERYONE is saying it is 41 for A*...
your teacher is going by percentages i think :/ ....
Reply 33
39=A
43=A*
Well I got told it was 43 = A* and 36 = A if you use the 7 point grade boundary that is used usually?
Reply 35
Nope this is definitely it, however AQA can review the grade boundaries after the results for unit 3 sciences have been released, and AQA only ever increase the grade boundaries!
Reply 36
Original post by JESS6789
Nope this is definitely it, however AQA can review the grade boundaries after the results for unit 3 sciences have been released, and AQA only ever increase the grade boundaries!

how do you know it is 'definitely' it
Also, is it possible to get a B in the ISA but still get an A* in say physics overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
i got 45/50 for the biology ISA would this be an A* / 100UMS?! :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Nick Latham
The current and resistance grade boundary for the Physics ISA is 41+. Probably the same for the electrolysis and sweating ISAs.

any evidence to back that up?

Original post by stud1011
i got 45/50 for the biology ISA would this be an A* / 100UMS?! :smile:

last year, on the science A coursework (which is almost identical to the new ones that we do), 43/50 was 100 ums, but because the quality of candidates is better for triple science, it is reasonable to presume that the grade boundaries will be higher, so it is very very likely to be an A*, but nobody here can tell you this, and it is likely to be a high A*, but like i said, nobody knows yet

Quick Reply

Latest