Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Foundation Course

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Himynameskiefer
Sounds amazing! Is the meal only for students living in halls or for all students in that College?

It's for all students of that college, you can invite people though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by ebowey
It's for all students of that college, you can invite people though

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can actually invite people? Like anyone? Haha that sounds awesome! A +1! :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by Himynameskiefer
You can actually invite people? Like anyone? Haha that sounds awesome! A +1! :smile:

Yeah, not sure how many. 2 maybe - not legions (my college wouldnt have the room) :tongue:. Friends family etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Hi, just wondering what happens when you begin your degree programme after foundation. If you go through freshers weeks, matriculation etc in foundation then what would you do at the beginning of 2nd year. Everyone on the course will be going through it all. Would you have to repeat it all again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by add4
Hi, just wondering what happens when you begin your degree programme after foundation. If you go through freshers weeks, matriculation etc in foundation then what would you do at the beginning of 2nd year. Everyone on the course will be going through it all. Would you have to repeat it all again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The freshers week is a yearly event, which your more than welcome to attend. The matriculation only happens in your foundation year (year 1)which means you are officially a member of your college and of the university. It's worth coming to the freshers stall for the mature students association as there will be 3rd year students who previously studied on the foundation course, they should be able to answer any questions. Otherwise I'll chat with them in the next couple of weeks to get their view.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by ebowey
The freshers week is a yearly event, which your more than welcome to attend. The matriculation only happens in your foundation year (year 1)which means you are officially a member of your college and of the university. It's worth coming to the freshers stall for the mature students association as there will be 3rd year students who previously studied on the foundation course, they should be able to answer any questions. Otherwise I'll chat with them in the next couple of weeks to get their view.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you for your help, that's great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
What have you applied for? Contact admissions and adk on the
Progress of your application. Waiting this long doesn't mean you have been unsuccessful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Hi

Do phone the department!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ebowey

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooo I don't know you could go to freshers week every year. I suppose its go to see if any new societies etc you may be interested in have been created in the last year?
Reply 89
Here is a link to a thread for general information on Durham which is worth looking at:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=130882

:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by ebowey
Here is a link to a thread for general information on Durham which is worth looking at:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, that is actually really helpful. I know that some colleges wear gowns and some don't. Now my college doesn't wear them for formals but I was just wondering if all students wear a gown for matriculation because I am unsure. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by add4
Thank you, that is actually really helpful. I know that some colleges wear gowns and some don't. Now my college doesn't wear them for formals but I was just wondering if all students wear a gown for matriculation because I am unsure. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was told on the open day that we (Stephenson) don't wear gowns for matriculation but wear formal dress instead - ie guys in smart dress with ties and girls in formal dresses.

Although I'm not sure the exact dress code for 'formal' - I brought an (omg I love it) formal dusty pink dress but am going to pick up a black formal dress too, incase its 'academic dress'. Covering all my bases. Getting it there will be too stressful.

Also we're in Durham all that day (in october) so I'm guessing smart + warm for after.

I think the foundation centre also have a photo taken :wink:

As for the formal dinners, I'm sure the Stevo JCR listed some of them as fancy dress (just to be different!). Bringing my postbox costume...
Reply 92
Trying to think of new ways to improve this thread, if any students want to discuss any ideas when you start in October - send me an email or we could meet in Durham for a coffee. :smile: love to have your Input for the next round of applicants next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ebowey

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by add4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to point out that that thread is out of date, and has since been replaced with the NEW Durham University FAQ thread, which was based on its predecessor.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2047014

Any suggestions on improving it would be very welcome.
Reply 94
Original post by Awoodrow2
Just to point out that that thread is out of date, and has since been replaced with the NEW Durham University FAQ thread, which was based on its predecessor.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2047014

Any suggestions on improving it would be very welcome.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by Erudite Fool
Anyone else still waiting for a reply? I just thought I'd ask, although the chances this late in the process seem slim for me.

Have you received a reply?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 96
Preapplication open day at Durham on 24th and 29th June. Anyone coming to the foundation centre talk?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Preapplication open day? Didnt know they were having one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
In October during the induction week there will be a talk from the Durham University Mature Students Association (DUMSA), are there any ideas from people of how and what they would like from the union?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest