The Student Room Group

Ann Coulter: Bombing Suspect's Wife Should Be Jailed For Wearing Hijab

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/23/ann-coulter-hijab_n_3139513.html

"Rightwing pundit Ann Coulter seems to think freedom of religion is overrated.

Launching another in a long series of criticisms of immigration reform, Coulter went on an anti-Muslim tirade on conservative opinion show “Hannity” Monday night, saying the wife of dead Boston bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsnarnaev should be imprisoned for wearing a Muslim veil.

“I don’t care if she knew about this,” Coulter told Sean Hannity, the host of the Fox News show. “She ought to be in prison for wearing a hijab.”

It is not illegal in the United States to wear hijabs. Nevertheless, Muslim women often face harassment for wearing the religious garment, according to the American Civil Liberties Union.

Katherine Russell, a Rhode Island native, converted to Islam and began wearing a hijab after meeting Tsnarnaev, according to Yahoo! Shine.

“This immigration policy of us assimilating immigrants into our culture isn’t really working,” Coulter added. “They’re assimilating us into their culture. Did she get a clitorectomy too?”

"“If people are coming from countries where perhaps they grew up under Sharia law, I think we can make a safe assumption that they have been radicalized,” Hannity theorized. “I think allowing foreign students into the country without investigative background checks that are exhaustive is a mistake and it’s putting Americans at risk.”"

Well this came out on my feed, if anyone is interested the youtube video is in the link as well.

And lets just say wow, :lolwut: the amount of ignorance from her is just beyond belief. Rather then focus completely on whats happened, thinking about the victims and finding out the truth. She comes around saying such disgusting ignorant statements. Bare in mind it is from fox news, but even then I can't believe they allow such people on the tv with such a large audience.

My personal fear, is that the suffering from the Boston attack will carry on, there have been so many victims as it is from the bombings, but people are using it to stir such ignorant and intolerant views like "“She ought to be in prison for wearing a hijab.”" is just appalling, and will add fuel to the fire and may lead to others suffering from whats happening, such as the randoming assault on a women who was wearing the Hijab. It makes no sense at all, why attack people who had nothing to do with whats happened, people have suffered as it is.

edit: I looked up her profile and the host............... what the hell :lolwut:..... the stuff she has said and how fox news allowed it, this is crazy, if a Muslim said what she said they would be a extremist, but isn't she some right wing extremist nut :s-smilie: she said we should go over to the middle east kill there leaders and make them convert to Christianity few years back and people actually listen to her :lolwut:
I really shouldn't have opened that link and read about her :facepalm:
(edited 11 years ago)
A lot of right wing Americans are beginning to view the Hijab like the swastika in terms of it symbolizing something evil, freedom of religion only extends when people perceive that said religion or belief system does not pose a threat and the general opinion in developed countries is swaying more and more towards the belief that Islam is not able to co-exist in their communities. Right or wrong there is no getting away from the fact Islam is becoming more and more disliked every time something like the Boston bombing happens and people like Ann Coulter are a reflection of that. Trying to counter the problem by not giving them any air time will only exacerbate the situation as people will still hold the same views and will feel their concerns are not being voiced and are more likely to try and take matters into their own hands.
Ann Coulter has a long history of being a crazy harpie that says some ridiculously stupid things.
Reply 3
Coulter's just a horrible lady. I'd rather if the whole world ignored her, but the American Right eat this sort of thing up.
Reply 4
Possibly the most vile unscrupulous humanoid to have ever graced this planet. Please don't give her diatribe any attention; that's what she pries on. Ignore her.
Reply 5
I have always assumed Ann Coulter is a comedy character that has gone on for too long.
Don't give her any attention. All she does is make highly controversial statements to get some publicity, a real nasty piece of work.
Reply 7
It's insane how stupid this woman is - I just don't understand how so many educated people are as stupid as her.
Reply 8
Original post by Darth Stewie
A lot of right wing Americans are beginning to view the Hijab like the swastika in terms of it symbolizing something evil, freedom of religion only extends when people perceive that said religion or belief system does not pose a threat and the general opinion in developed countries is swaying more and more towards the belief that Islam is not able to co-exist in their communities. Right or wrong there is no getting away from the fact Islam is becoming more and more disliked every time something like the Boston bombing happens and people like Ann Coulter are a reflection of that. Trying to counter the problem by not giving them any air time will only exacerbate the situation as people will still hold the same views and will feel their concerns are not being voiced and are more likely to try and take matters into their own hands.

I realise that, as they have the right to free speech, etc but she's crazy and over doing it to such a point, where people could possible act on her views which I'm really worried about.
Reply 9
I didn't realise anyone still takes Ann Coulter seriously. The Huffington Post is like America's Daily Mail, which makes her the Samantha Brick of the USA.
Reply 10
Original post by Bobifier
I didn't realise anyone still takes Ann Coulter seriously. The Huffington Post is like America's Daily Mail, which makes her the Samantha Brick of the USA.

The only reason people disagree with her is because they're jealous of her superior intellect and her good looks...
Reply 11
The women is a frothing brain dead old harpie... best to politely ignore her.
Reply 12

Isnt it a content aggragator like drudge report or the like? Somewhat unfair to compare it to the DM...
Reply 13
Original post by cl_steele
Isnt it a content aggragator like drudge report or the like? Somewhat unfair to compare it to the DM...

Regardless of what they each claim to be doing, they are very similar in terms of style, content and quality.
Reply 14
Regardless of what they each claim to be doing, they are very similar in terms of style, content and quality.

Well baring in mind the HP only collects news articles by other sources and the DM simply writes its slander its unfair to compare them no?
Reply 15
as a moderate-conservative in USA, Anne Coulter needs to be blacklisted from the media.
Reply 16
Original post by Iqbal007
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/23/ann-coulter-hijab_n_3139513.html

"Rightwing pundit Ann Coulter seems to think freedom of religion is overrated.

Launching another in a long series of criticisms of immigration reform, Coulter went on an anti-Muslim tirade on conservative opinion show “Hannity” Monday night, saying the wife of dead Boston bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsnarnaev should be imprisoned for wearing a Muslim veil.

“I don’t care if she knew about this,” Coulter told Sean Hannity, the host of the Fox News show. “She ought to be in prison for wearing a hijab.”

It is not illegal in the United States to wear hijabs. Nevertheless, Muslim women often face harassment for wearing the religious garment, according to the American Civil Liberties Union.

Katherine Russell, a Rhode Island native, converted to Islam and began wearing a hijab after meeting Tsnarnaev, according to Yahoo! Shine.

“This immigration policy of us assimilating immigrants into our culture isn’t really working,” Coulter added. “They’re assimilating us into their culture. Did she get a clitorectomy too?”

"“If people are coming from countries where perhaps they grew up under Sharia law, I think we can make a safe assumption that they have been radicalized,” Hannity theorized. “I think allowing foreign students into the country without investigative background checks that are exhaustive is a mistake and it’s putting Americans at risk.”"

Well this came out on my feed, if anyone is interested the youtube video is in the link as well.

And lets just say wow, :lolwut: the amount of ignorance from her is just beyond belief. Rather then focus completely on whats happened, thinking about the victims and finding out the truth. She comes around saying such disgusting ignorant statements. Bare in mind it is from fox news, but even then I can't believe they allow such people on the tv with such a large audience.

My personal fear, is that the suffering from the Boston attack will carry on, there have been so many victims as it is from the bombings, but people are using it to stir such ignorant and intolerant views like "“She ought to be in prison for wearing a hijab.”" is just appalling, and will add fuel to the fire and may lead to others suffering from whats happening, such as the randoming assault on a women who was wearing the Hijab. It makes no sense at all, why attack people who had nothing to do with whats happened, people have suffered as it is.

edit: I looked up her profile and the host............... what the hell :lolwut:..... the stuff she has said and how fox news allowed it, this is crazy, if a Muslim said what she said they would be a extremist, but isn't she some right wing extremist nut :s-smilie: she said we should go over to the middle east kill there leaders and make them convert to Christianity few years back and people actually listen to her :lolwut:
I really shouldn't have opened that link and read about her :facepalm:

i dont think ann coulter has any power to make law in the usa, its jsut her opinion. probably the bigger issue is this woman was the wife of a islamic terrorist and at the least deserves some scrutiny by authoriites.

i doubt there is too much opression in society to women wearing burkhas ( though i dont live in usa) probably no more than the harrassment women get in islamic countries by muslim men for wearing a skirt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending