The Student Room Group

"Dude, where's my gown?": The Oxford Chat Thread Mk.III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Thanks :smile:. I've done a little reading around it and apparently because there are no vivas for Mod Langs the congratulation is only in letter form. Slightly less dramatic ha.

I was told by a law tutor that the practice of congratulatory vivas was stopped after a particular student (a certain Leonard Hoffmann) was mightily pissed-off after cutting a holiday short, only to walk into a room just to have people clap him.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
I was told by a law tutor that the practice of congratulatory vivas was stopped after a particular student (a certain Leonard Hoffmann) was mightily pissed-off after cutting a holiday short, only to walk into a room just to have people clap him.

Me, I think I'd have been happy to cut the holiday short. :giggle:

Hoffman only read for the BCL at Oxford. If true the story can only relate to the BCL. Most, if not all, law undergraduates were being viva'd long after Hoffman graduated. It would be inconceivable for an undergraduate to have booked a holiday that clashed with a potential viva date.
Original post by nulli tertius
Hoffman only read for the BCL at Oxford. If true the story can only relate to the BCL. Most, if not all, law undergraduates were being viva'd long after Hoffman graduated. It would be inconceivable for an undergraduate to have booked a holiday that clashed with a potential viva date.

Damn, I guess he just likes telling stories then. Still a good one.
A 30,000 brick Lego Hertford. :eek4:

Courtesy of Hertford historian Andrew Beaumont.
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/13354495.Professor_used_30_000_Lego_bricks_to_build_replica_of_Hertford_College/

Should there be more lego colleges I wonder? :holmes:

This seems a good idea.

A lego Bod and a lego Camera would be particularly nice, plus a lego version of Magdalen Bridge complete with lego tourists and lego bicycles. :teehee:
Wow that's pretty amazing :ahee:
And after the colleges, the second most important set of landmarks in Oxford... the pubs.
And after the colleges, the second most important set of landmarks in Oxford... the pubs.

:rofl:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Wow that's pretty amazing :ahee:

It's the sheer dedication to such a hopeless cause. :lol:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's the sheer dedication to such a hopeless cause. :lol:

Beautiful city! so venerable, so lovely, so unravaged by the fierce intellectual life of our century, so serene.

"There are our young barbarians, all at play"

And yet, steeped in sentiment as she lies, spreading her gardens to the moonlight, and whispering from her towers the last enchantments of the Middle Age, who will deny that Oxford, by her ineffable charm, keeps ever calling us nearer to the true goal of all of us, to the ideal, to perfection, to beauty, in a word, which is only truth seen from another side? nearer, perhaps, than all the science of Tubingen. Adorable dreamer, whose heart has been so romantic! who hast given thyself so prodigally, given thyself to sides and to heroes not mine, only never to the Philistines! home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names, and impossible loyalties!

Matthew Arnold
Matthew Arnold

Can we take it Nulli is an Oxford Movement man, amongst his many interests? :smile:

A Newman sermon - there's a lego project. :teehee:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Can we take it Nulli is an Oxford Movement man, amongst his many interests? :smile:

A Newman sermon - there's a lego project. :teehee:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/43478

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love it that the light comes on when you press the roof.

Seriously, until you've done MC Escher in Lego, you are nobody.

I'm sure I saw a Lego Bridge of Sighs online somewhere a couple of years ago. I would love to see Lego Univ!
Original post by FlowerFaerie087
I'm sure I saw a Lego Bridge of Sighs online somewhere a couple of years ago. I would love to see Lego Univ!

You did, it was by the same guy. He's a committed Legoist.

Actually I think there are a few around Oxford, I remember seeing a big Lego version of the Battle of Lepanto, somewhere, let me see, it was someone in History Soc who took me to see it. Can't quite recall which college.
Original post by FlowerFaerie087

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/18138/production/_83861689_83858349.jpg

I can't offer you a Lego Univ, but have you ever seen the original cardboard architect's model of the front quad?

http://www.univ.ox.ac.uk/content/architectural-model-main-quad-1630s
There's even a Lego St. Catz. In Manor Rd.
Original post by shoshin
There's even a Lego St. Catz. In Manor Rd.

:teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't offer you a Lego Univ, but have you ever seen the original cardboard architect's model of the front quad?

http://www.univ.ox.ac.uk/content/architectural-model-main-quad-1630s

It's probably a lot prettier in real life... (typical uninterested scientist response)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending