The Student Room Group

Clinical Language Sciences (Speech and Language Therapy) at Leeds Met

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Has everyone done their Health Questionnaire online? It said something about being invited to the Occupational Health department and I was wondering it anyone had got a letter about this yet?
Also, when do we hear about our actual start date/registration day?
Reply 21
Hi there,

I am also a mature student and am looking into different uni's for speech and language therapy. Leeds is one that interests me, I am curious as to why it is only 3 years compared to most of them being 4years? Also what is living in leeds like, I am from the london area so haven't spent much time there?
Original post by Maria.S.20
I'm a mature student and I'm going to be travelling from York so I'm a bit worried about money! Just waiting on student finance people and NHS bursary and hopefully il have enough to live! But from what you've said about how often we are in uni, it's made me feel a little less worried about having time for a job. Looking forward to getting started now! Can I just ask, how many exams do you have?

Sorry about the late reply - I did reply to this but it doesn't seem to have uploaded! There's a girl in our year who commuted from York and it ended up making sense for her to move to Leeds with her partner at the end of the year - it just depends on your other commitments etc. I wouldn't worry about it and see how you get on in the first year. Glad you're looking forward to getting started! We had about six exams after Christmas and six in the summer as far as I remember. It wasn't too hardcore - just keep up to date with learning the work as you go along, especially in the first semester so you don't feel you're falling behind, and you'll be fine when it comes to exams. Nothing is meant to trick you and everything we were tested on was clearly in our lectures etc so it shouldn't be a cause for stress :smile:
Has anyone had a reading list yet? Or can recommend any reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I tried to get a reading list last year too and didn't have any luck. One girl did manage to get one of sorts from one of the lecturers so it's probably worth sending another email or phoning to get some idea if you're keen to get on, but I probably wouldn't worry too much about it with hindsight.

We learn from http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Physiology-Speech-Language-Hearing/dp/1428312234 this book for anatomy which is the only one they make you buy (I think) and it is expensive but literally covers everything you need to know and has a great DVD revision bit to help. Graduates might be selling their copies but they let people know that in the first few weeks.

Apart from that, Sheridan From Birth to Five Years http://www.amazon.com/Birth-Five-Years-Childrens-Developmental/dp/0415423651/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376216476&sr=1-1&keywords=mary+sheridan (or the latest version) is helpful as you have to learn exactly when everything happens in normal development in the first year.

If you don't know the international phonetic alphabet, it might be worth watching some stuff on the internet or just reading a bit about it as I think this is one of the things people had to spend a lot of time learning.

The only other thing I'd suggest is getting to grips with grammar - know your verbs, nouns, adjectives etc and go further if you have the time to understand adjuncts etc. You spend lots of time learning about it in the first year in Linguistics and some people who weren't that strong on all that stuff found it difficult. You do sentence tree diagrams http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_diagram so knowing the basics of identifying the verbs, nouns etc really helps.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Linyuki
Hi,

I was just wondering which part of the Uni you receive most of the SLT lectures

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's all on the city campus which is great for commuters and just because it's so close to the shops etc. We have our lectures in Broadcasting place, the Rose Bowl and the Calverley building. There are a few others dotted around very close to these buildings but most are in the above.
Has everyone done their Health Questionnaire online? It said something about being invited to the Occupational Health department and I was wondering it anyone had got a letter about this yet?
Also, when do we hear about our actual start date/registration day?

You need to fill in you health questionnaire and then you get assigned a short appointment at uni with an OH person to check if you need any boosters etc. Ie you're told about it when you get to uni so don't worry about that before.

You might have already heard about start dates etc but it'll be about the second week in September. We had two weeks of orientation lectures but they might have condensed it down to one this year. Good luck!
Original post by Sarah Lee
Hi there,

I am also a mature student and am looking into different uni's for speech and language therapy. Leeds is one that interests me, I am curious as to why it is only 3 years compared to most of them being 4years? Also what is living in leeds like, I am from the london area so haven't spent much time there?

Hello

I went for Leeds because it was three years and not four as I had already done a degree. I think they just cram more in to three years so it might be that terms are slightly longer or that we have more teaching hours in a week. It's not as hardcore as the post-grad course but you don't have to spend four years studying (it might be the first year is much more relaxed on these courses?) so it's a great comprimise.

Leeds is a great city. I don't know how you'll feel about it coming from London - you might think it's a bit small! I'd say just come and have a look. I did my undergrad course at Leeds Uni and just love the city. Links to London are good, rent is cheap compared to other cities, there are plenty of opportunities for volunteering/experience etc, shopping and entertainment is great, and the people are lovely! A lot of people on the course are from the North but there are also quite a few from all over the UK so there's a good mix.
Reply 27
SLTleedsmet It's all on the city campus which is great for commuters and just because it's so close to the shops etc. We have our lectures in Broadcasting place, the Rose Bowl and the Calverley building. There are a few others dotted around very close to these buildings but most are in the above.

Many thanks for this, you have been a great help!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by SLTleedsmet
Hello

I went for Leeds because it was three years and not four as I had already done a degree. I think they just cram more in to three years so it might be that terms are slightly longer or that we have more teaching hours in a week. It's not as hardcore as the post-grad course but you don't have to spend four years studying (it might be the first year is much more relaxed on these courses?) so it's a great comprimise.

Leeds is a great city. I don't know how you'll feel about it coming from London - you might think it's a bit small! I'd say just come and have a look. I did my undergrad course at Leeds Uni and just love the city. Links to London are good, rent is cheap compared to other cities, there are plenty of opportunities for volunteering/experience etc, shopping and entertainment is great, and the people are lovely! A lot of people on the course are from the North but there are also quite a few from all over the UK so there's a good mix.

Thanks so much for your reply. For me 4 years just seems a lot as I already know want to get my masters which is an extra 2years. I want to go and work in Canada where you need to have a masters so if I could fit my undergrad into 3years that would be ideal. Leeds seems very appealing it me and everything I have heard so far seems very positive. There are some course's in London offering the course but I kinda like the idea of living somewhere different but equally vibrant. I heard the live music scene is great in leeds? would you agree? As a singer I am really into watching live music a lot. I also like the idea of rent being cheaper as London is so ridiculously expensive. There are a few other course that offer it in 3years such as Birmingham but living in Birmingham doesn't sound as nice as leeds.
Can you tell me a little more about the clinical placements you did on the course and how much you did each year? This is the part that most interests me as I think you learn the most from hands on experience.
Reply 29
Hi all
I've just been online and think I've found something that looks like a timetable for the first semester. I'm confused though...it looks like we are in uni every day but at the open day they said it was just going to be 3 days and a day placement. Does anyone know if the course has been re-structured? I'm just concerned and worrying now that I won't have any time for part-time work (with this being my second degree I'm not entitled to as much loan etc so was counting on work for much needed extra money! ) hope someone can help!
Reply 30
Hi all
I've just been online and think I've found something that looks like a timetable for the first semester. I'm confused though...it looks like we are in uni every day but at the open day they said it was just going to be 3 days and a day placement. Does anyone know if the course has been re-structured? I'm just concerned and worrying now that I won't have any time for part-time work (with this being my second degree I'm not entitled to as much loan etc so was counting on work for much needed extra money! ) hope someone can help!

Hi,

Could pease tell where online you find the the timetable, I am really surprised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Are you able to log on to x-stream yet on the student website? There are instructions on there how to find your timetable.
Reply 32
Are you able to log on to x-stream yet on the student website? There are instructions on there how to find your timetable.

I'm able to log in but couldn't find any time table, do you know if timetables are available for new students?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sarah Lee
Thanks so much for your reply. For me 4 years just seems a lot as I already know want to get my masters which is an extra 2years. I want to go and work in Canada where you need to have a masters so if I could fit my undergrad into 3years that would be ideal. Leeds seems very appealing it me and everything I have heard so far seems very positive. There are some course's in London offering the course but I kinda like the idea of living somewhere different but equally vibrant. I heard the live music scene is great in leeds? would you agree? As a singer I am really into watching live music a lot. I also like the idea of rent being cheaper as London is so ridiculously expensive. There are a few other course that offer it in 3years such as Birmingham but living in Birmingham doesn't sound as nice as leeds.
Can you tell me a little more about the clinical placements you did on the course and how much you did each year? This is the part that most interests me as I think you learn the most from hands on experience.
The Canada life plan sounds great! I've heard such good things about living in Canada and I see what you mean about wanting to get your studies finished as quickly as possible. (The time flies by!) I would agree with the music scene being good in Leeds. It's a funny one because I some acts love it and come on their tours, but other bigger acts tend to go to Manchester as their Northern date. There's the Brudenell Social Club which is a great venue, the Cockpit, the 02 Academy, the new arena for bigger stuff, and lots of other venues. There are a lot of musicians looking for singers etc so you could easily get involved in that scene. The Grove is a great place for doing gigs depending on what you like to sing. I would definitely choose Leeds over Birmingham as a city but I might just be biased! There's a great feeling of student life in Leeds, but also so much going on in the real world for you to get involved in. Happy to help if you've got any other questions but good luck with making your decisions!
Hi all
The only timetable that'll be right is either one they send you by email or the one on x-stream. I remember x-stream being difficult to work out when I first started using it so don't worry too much if you can't make sense of it. You will have one or two weeks of induction at the start of the term, and it's probably that they'll give your official timetable to you then. I know there has been some restructuring but I wouldn't have thought you'll be in for five days a week. We were only in for three. It's probably the induction period that you have which is a lot more hours than normal. So long as you turn up at the right time on the first day you'll be fine. The induction last year was really good and they told us everything we needed to know straight away. Plus even if you are in five days a week (which I don't think you will be), there are so many places to find weekend, evening or ad hoc work in Leeds so don't worry! (There's a jobs place in the union where you can get random work to earn some money too.)
Reply 35
Original post by SLTleedsmet
The only timetable that'll be right is either one they send you by email or the one on x-stream. I remember x-stream being difficult to work out when I first started using it so don't worry too much if you can't make sense of it. You will have one or two weeks of induction at the start of the term, and it's probably that they'll give your official timetable to you then. I know there has been some restructuring but I wouldn't have thought you'll be in for five days a week. We were only in for three. It's probably the induction period that you have which is a lot more hours than normal. So long as you turn up at the right time on the first day you'll be fine. The induction last year was really good and they told us everything we needed to know straight away. Plus even if you are in five days a week (which I don't think you will be), there are so many places to find weekend, evening or ad hoc work in Leeds so don't worry! (There's a jobs place in the union where you can get random work to earn some money too.)

Thanks, looking forward to the start of the induction tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Linyuki
Thanks, looking forward to the start of

Hi

Many thanks for all you help and advice.

i was just wondering if you could possibly help with information on writing a report on communication chain. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending