The Student Room Group

I'm never full (always eating) but stay the same weight!

Hi guys, I have a few questions...

Basically I want to eat healthy/ change my diet. I plan a diet that looks like it will keep me full and provide the necessary calories; I haven't started a proper diet yet... Because even on a standard diet I'm always eating or never feeling full...

I've been awake for 7 hours today:

12:00
I had a mars mini roll and Kellogg's nutri grain bar for "breakfast" (I was eating this while preparing breakfast)
12:30
Two slices of toast, two fried eggs
3:30
Picking up sister from school, half of another mini roll and another whole nutri grain bar
4:00
1 plate of rice + 2 pieces of chicken
4:45
Muller corner yogurt
6:45
Tuna and cheese sandwich

I don't feel full, I wouldn't say no to a takeaway or a restaurant meal right now (I never do! :colondollar:) I'll have snacks every hour and a full meal around 9-10

but I'm a healthy weight and I always stay at the same weight...

Today was the first day of study leave, hence the late start... a school day is even worse

I can think of two reasons for consuming so much, maybe due to revision? And I heard one of my uncle's (fathers cousin) has an overactive thyroid; he ALWAYS eats and never puts on weight, should I get "checked out"?
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd be interested to know the calorie count for that, because it really doesn't sound all that much! Not enough to gain weight. anyway.

EDIT: Just calculated and that's only around 1,800 cals. That's probably around what you need to maintain your weight, and probably need more if you exercise.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
There's bugger all food listed there.
Might have worms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That isnt much food at all.
Reply 5
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I'd be interested to know the calorie count for that, because it really doesn't sound all that much! Not enough to gain weight. anyway.

EDIT: Just calculated and that's only around 1,800 cals. That's probably around what you need to maintain your weight, and probably need more if you exercise.

Original post by rlw31
There's bugger all food listed there.

Original post by Eljamaispa
Might have worms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Megaloblastic
That isnt much food at all.

Okay, so to lose weight I should reduce calories or stay the same + exercise?

I feel that I'm always hungry, there's always room for me to eat - I guess my question should have been... How do I make myself feel full?
One word: Porridge.
Reply 7
School day:

Breakfast - Coffee, Croissant and 1 slice of Toast (270)
Inbetween Lesson 1 and 2 - Apple and Chocolate bar (250)
Break - Water and sandwich (350)
Lunch - Hot meal from canteen (?)
Walking home - Samosa and chocolate (400)
4pm - Curry/Pasta (300)
6pm - Tea + a few biscuits (350)
9pm Curry/Pasta again (but with a salad now) (300)

2220 calories
Have you tried replacing the bread and pasta with their wholegrain counterparts? The fibre will make you feel more full.
But to follow up from my previous point: Eat porridge. Seriously.
Reply 9
Original post by SprainedAnkle
Have you tried replacing the bread and pasta with their wholegrain counterparts? The fibre will make you feel more full.
But to follow up from my previous point: Eat porridge. Seriously.

Calories per bowl?
And which type from which store?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
If you're a healthy weight why would you want to lose weight? Better to take full advantage of your appetite; eat more and lift some weights, put on some muscle.
I think it's about 350kcal per 100g. As for per serving that's entirely down to you. I probably have ~75g servings with fruit, honey and cocoa, using whole milk. Probably come to around 550kcal and will comfortably keep me going til mid afternoon. It's all complex carbs and full of fibre, so it fills you up quite quickly and you won't feel hungry for hours. It's full of macro-nutrients and tastes delicious too.

As far as I'm aware there isn't that much nutritional difference between your standard porridge oats (texture and flavour may vary a little), so even the really cheap ones will do. I suppose if you were picky you could go for organic but it costs a little more.
Reply 12
Original post by SprainedAnkle
I think it's about 350kcal per 100g. As for per serving that's entirely down to you. I probably have ~75g servings with fruit, honey and cocoa, using whole milk. Probably come to around 550kcal and will comfortably keep me going til mid afternoon. It's all complex carbs and full of fibre, so it fills you up quite quickly and you won't feel hungry for hours. It's full of macro-nutrients and tastes delicious too.

As far as I'm aware there isn't that much nutritional difference between your standard porridge oats (texture and flavour may vary a little), so even the really cheap ones will do. I suppose if you were picky you could go for organic but it costs a little more.

Had an medium sized bowl of chocolate ready brek, wow! Don't feel hungry and that's the only thing I had for breakfast! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
In one meal yesterday I had more calories that that...I had 1 litre of chocolate milk and then went and had a carvery...admittedly I was walking around the carpark after sipping water trying not to be sick...point being you need to eat more and proper food. You just basically snack, hence why you're a twig.
Reply 14
Original post by R1C3W1N3
Okay, so to lose weight I should reduce calories or stay the same + exercise?

I feel that I'm always hungry, there's always room for me to eat - I guess my question should have been... How do I make myself feel full?

You probably don't want to hear this but you could be allergic to gluten. In gluten intolerant people wheat damages your intestines making it difficult for your body to absorb nutrients and leaving you hungry and at a low weight. If all else fails i would try cutting out wheat* OP.

*wheat, rye and barley. Oats can be contaminated but are fine for me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
LOL that's nothing. About 2000 calories by my count, depends on portion sizes, but it's certainly no more than 2500 (the NHS recommended amount).

TODAY:
Breakfast: 75-100g porridge (with milk), 2 eggs,
Lunch: 3 bbq chicken legs, 1 pack of microwave rice, two cookies (the big ones)
1 pint of milk
Dinner: 4 tandoori chicken legs, about 100g of pilau rice and chickpeas.
1 pint of milk, 3 spoons of peanut butter

I wouldn't consider that a huge amount of food, but it's enough for me to gain size.
Reply 16
For a school age male - this is nothing food wise.

Many 16-18 year old guys need 3000+ calories. I wouldn't assume you have thyroid problem.

Growing teen males often need more food than fully grown men - even if they are smaller.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just down a teaspoon of peanut butter and milk. The answer to why am I not gaining weight will always be the same, you're not eating enough. Use MyFitnessPal and try and gauge your calories weekly not daily. I aim to hit 27,000 weekly for reference.

Quick Reply

Latest