The Student Room Group

Ex threatened me with police

And I haven't done anything.

We break up. Things are terrible. Past few days we've been getting really well. Texting quite a lot, she's seeing someone. We're 'friends'.

Earlier this week, she tells me she's received an email from someone forwarding a supposed email from the guy she's seeing. She asks me to check the IP in the email headers. The IP is the same area as where the guy she's seeing lives. I also notice an email in the headers as the 'original sender'. It's neither mine, nor hers, someone else's. I don't mention it. Couple of days later she tells me the guy called it off with her due to these emails. We start texting and become friendly again, she tells me she bought train tickets to visit this guy, but he cancelled so she was seeing her friend. She then tells me this guy has invited he round to watch a film. I encourage her, as she say she's nervous because he's 'perfect'. I'm being a friend to her. During this, she's still getting emails supposedly from this guy, being derogatory about her. She says the details within the emails are accurate, and stuff only him and her know. She says she's going to report them to the police, I tell her there's no point because the police won't do anything unless there are threats in there. I tell her to block the emails. She doesn't. She see's this guy, and the next day she says they're going out. Later on, she texts me accusing me of sending these emails. I explain to her that I couldn't because I do not know ANYTHING about this guy, I've never met him in my life. I tell her to block the emails again.

We're still friendly and texting etc. Tonight I start getting weird emails, talking about personal stuff about me. I assumed it was her, because she knew all this stuff. She says it wasn't and offers to help me. These emails then start to talk about how 'intimate' me and her were, and she panics. Says I'm causing her drama and wants me out her life. The emails soon stop, and the IP's link back to where her boyfriend is from. She says she can't deal with it and blocks me on Whatsapp. I text her asking what she's playing at, and she says I'm causing her drama and she wants me out of her life. I then bring up the fact her boyfriends email - an email I had no knowledge of prior to the email she forwarded me - was attached to the email headers, as being the original sender. I tell her and she tells me to stop making false accusations, and if I carry on she will 'add me to her list of people she's reporting to the police'.

Tell me, have I done anything wrong? Have I said anything wrong/bad?
Reply 1
I'd call that a lucky escape. Sounds like a bit of a psycho.. best leave her alone.
Original post by Anonymous

Tell me, have I done anything wrong?

only in allowing yourself to be drawn into this nonsense.

Tell her to go to the police, I believe the Met has a crack squad devoted solely to the tackling of overheated internet teen drama.

Seriously, mate, find a sense of perspective. Pull away and look for someone less silly.
From the sounds of it, no, you haven't done anything wrong. Certainly, from the law's point of view, you haven't done anything wrong either. I can tell you from previous experience that even if she was to report your emails to the police, they are unlikely to take her seriously. All they will see is a girl who has an ex boyfriend emailing her - they have more important things to deal with. Furthermore, even if you were being threatening, there is no evidence that these emails are from you. During my recent contact with a police officer he told me that online evidence such as emails can rarely be used as evidence because anyone can write them and alter them. All they would advise her is to block the sender/change her email address so it would be a pretty pointless police visit.
If you were being threatening, unfortunately, the police only react when something more physical than an email happens.
My point is, you should be fine legally but it may be worth cutting this girl out as she seems to be causing you a lot of hassle when all you've done is try to be friendly.
If it is her current boyfriend or whoever else sending her these emails, then let her learn from her own mistakes. She will soon realise that she was wrong to accuse you and threaten with the police.
Hope that helped and good luck!
Lmfao @ "list of people she's reporting to the police."

Do yourself a favour and cut contact with her.
Reply 5
Sounds crazy, leave her to it!
I seriously respect you for putting up with her. If it was me the moment we broke up she would never know if I'm still living on this earth
Reply 7
Original post by ForgottenPen
I seriously respect you for putting up with her. If it was me the moment we broke up she would never know if I'm still living on this earth

Haha, bit difficult with her as we're in uni together.

But anyway. That email she forwarded me. It clearly says the original sender is her boyfriend... but she's saying it's me still. How can I get it through to her without it looking like am trying to interfere with her relationship? Am not trying to, just trying to get her to realise HE frigging sent it.
Reply 8
Bitches be crazy.

But how are you IP tracking emails? Surely the best you can get is the IP of the mail server (only useful for example if these were uni email addresses)? Or have I missed a trick?
Reply 9
If it comes from an email client you can see the IP. Unless the IP's I've been getting are wrong, but if so, it's very weird they're coming from the place her boyfriend hails from.
Original post by Anonymous
Haha, bit difficult with her as we're in uni together.

But anyway. That email she forwarded me. It clearly says the original sender is her boyfriend... but she's saying it's me still. How can I get it through to her without it looking like am trying to interfere with her relationship? Am not trying to, just trying to get her to realise HE frigging sent it.

Wow, uni? From your tale and the way she was acting I would have thought she was no more than 16. Just ignore her and let her sort out her own drama.
Begging her to be friends or keeping trying etc will just give her an ego boost and a "he can't live without me" impression.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending