The Student Room Group

Classic Novels everyone should read?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anythingoo1
Everyone's always talking about The Great Gatsby, will have to give it a read after exams

I haven't really read many classics but these are mine:
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- Wuthering Heights

To be fair, personally, I found that Hunger games was a fun book to read, but I understand why you wouldn't want people labelling it under "Classic Novels"

I'd defo look into Evelyn Waugh... I've read A Handful of Dust, The Loved One and Brideshead Revisited and love them all.
Oliver twist
David Copperfield
Gone With The Wind
Little Women
The Old Man and the Sea
Robinson Crusoe
Reply 22
Dracula is a must read classic, forget twilight vampires Dracula is the original :smile:
Reply 23
To Kill a Mockingbird and The Grapes of Wrath - recommended definitely!
Reply 24
Just wanted to agree with:

Crime and Punishment

Grapes of Wrath

As for To Kill a Mockingbird,this book had the most profound affect on me of any book I ever read.

(Don't judge anyone until "you've climbed into their skin and walked around in it" pretty much sums it up)

but,you know,I think that there are so many other books you'd be better off reading instead..especially now that Ive helpfully summed it up for you.:smile:

And personally anything by the wonderful George Orwell is a must imho.

Such a pity he died so young

Not too fond of Dickens.Just too many characters and they were written as serials for a magazine and it shows.

But A Tale of 2 Cities is the one Id plump for.Not the best but also not the longest!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
The Gormenghast Trilogy: Titus Groan, Gormenghast, and Titus Alone.

Also, To Kill a Mockingbird and Remains of the Day.
The great Gatsby
Catch 22
The catcher in the Rye
To kill a mockingbird
The perks of being a wallflower

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tender is the Night
Dorian Gray
Count of Monte Cristo
Great Expectations
A day in the life of Ivan Denisovich
Original post by Emma122
Dracula is a must read classic, forget twilight vampires Dracula is the original :smile:

Absolutely agree! Even though I found Dracula tedious at some parts, I would happily pick it up again!
What does everyone think of Dante?
Had to pick it (Divine Comedy) up due to its collosal rep.
I (very slowly) got through Inferno and found it to be a decent read (I have a very good translation of it, done by John Ciardi, which is actually readable as opposed to the unreadable Oxford Classics version). Got quite tedious at times due to the very archaic Italian/English and ridiculously over complicated descriptions. Also, a first read through proved to be quite confusing due to limited knowledge of Florentine politics/classical history.
However, Purgatorio is proving to be nothing but a chore atm and stopping me from reading David Copperfield, which is next on the list.
To kill a mockingbird
Ulysses
Wuthering Heights
Crime and Punishment
Demons
Lolita
Reply 31
Of Mice And Men

Such a good book. It's short but gets the message across. The ending.....I Can't Even!
Reply 32
Nicholas nickelby and Northanger abbey
Les Miserables (sorry can't do accents on here XD) , Dracula, Frankenstein, The Picture of Dorian Grey, Pride and Prejudice. If you really want 'classic' you should definitely read The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer (poet, not the Simpsons guy :biggrin: )Hope that was helpful :biggrin:
- Great Expectations
- Wuthering Heights
- Lord of the Flies
- Catch 22
- Emma
To kill a mockingbird is by far my favourite :biggrin:
Really enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo.
Original post by Dimples_ND
The great Gatsby
Catch 22
The catcher in the Rye
To kill a mockingbird
The perks of being a wallflower

Posted from TSR Mobile

That book was ****.
Reply 38
Original post by im so academic
That book was ****.

LOL.

Imagine my surprise on perusing the last posters on all the threads when I

saw that im so academic had made a contribution to this one.

Gosh,I thought,I wonder what book shes recommending.I should probably read it if only out of curiosity:smile:

Whats you fave book im so academic?
Watership Down (don't just watch the movie)

The Black Stallion (again don't just watch the movie)

Jane Eyre

Empire of the Sun

Battle Royale if you like 1984, the movie The Running Man etc

Actually every good movie that comes out you might want to just look it up and find out if it was adapted from a novel as it may well be even better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending