The Student Room Group

How much do you guys get paid/hour?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by natninja
Summer placement, used C programming skills learnt on my degree. I was working primarily in C and assembler languages. I can also code in Python, C++ and a couple of others.

Cool, doing a bit of Python myself. Did you learn all your programming skills on your degree or did you have knowledge prior.
£5.67 an hour in retail, aged 20 and outside London.
Original post by naf786
Cool, doing a bit of Python myself. Did you learn all your programming skills on your degree or did you have knowledge prior.

Well I learnt C on my degree and then decided to learn a few more. Assembler was basically thrown at me at work... I had to learn fast.
Reply 183
Well I learnt C on my degree and then decided to learn a few more. Assembler was basically thrown at me at work... I had to learn fast.

Was it easy to learn or did it take you some time? I've been told that once your understand one language the others become really easy.
Original post by naf786
Was it easy to learn or did it take you some time? I've been told that once your understand one language the others become really easy.

I found it pretty easy to learn personally, it seems to be something that people either get or they don't... a friend of mine is hopeless at programming and effectively copies my code for computing projects...

You've been told wrong... If someone presented me with say lisp or binary lambda calculus I would have no idea what the hell I was doing.... Lisp is a really weird one... functions recursively call themselves until a terminating condition is reached... If you understand C then C++, C# and a whole load of other languages become fairly accessible. Or just getting a really good understanding of how computers work - then it is all down to syntax (for which some languages is near impossible - look up the wiki article entitled 'esoteric languages' and look at chef, brain**** and piet in particular.)
Reply 185
I found it pretty easy to learn personally, it seems to be something that people either get or they don't... a friend of mine is hopeless at programming and effectively copies my code for computing projects...

You've been told wrong... If someone presented me with say lisp or binary lambda calculus I would have no idea what the hell I was doing.... Lisp is a really weird one... functions recursively call themselves until a terminating condition is reached... If you understand C then C++, C# and a whole load of other languages become fairly accessible. Or just getting a really good understanding of how computers work - then it is all down to syntax (for which some languages is near impossible - look up the wiki article entitled 'esoteric languages' and look at chef, brain**** and piet in particular.)

True, I was just talking about the general languages such C, C++ and C#. Are you going back to finish your last year? What stream of work are you looking to get into once you finish? Also what University are you studying at? :smile:
Original post by naf786
True, I was just talking about the general languages such C, C++ and C#. Are you going back to finish your last year? What stream of work are you looking to get into once you finish? Also what University are you studying at? :smile:

I just started my second year :tongue: looking to get into banking/finance, I'm at Oxford.
Reply 187
I just started my second year :tongue: looking to get into banking/finance, I'm at Oxford.

Oh Oxford :tongue: you must of got very good A-Levels to get in there (I wasn't clever enough to get anywhere near Oxford :tongue: ). If you want to do Banking/Finance how come you doing Physics? I thought you would have done something like Economics.
Please keep all posts on topic. Thanks. :smile:
age 18
Get 20 pounds an hour as a private tutor for science/ maths A level students :smile:
Seriously amazing job. Basically just going through a few easy worksheets, very flexible hours, pays really well, great for things like 'communication', 'organisation' etc. skills for CV, shows some initiative + other skills (have to set up as a business, so various bits of paperwork etc.). And I get to work with nice, friendly kids :smile:
Reply 190
Original post by FiendFyre
I'm 16 working in Matalan and getting paid £5.03 per hour, I work in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

heyy is it quite easy to get a job at matalan or is it quite competitive?
Reply 191
Original post by de_monies
I have a placement (unofficially), and I was just wondering how my wages compared with the likes of the supermarkets, fast food places, retail shops etc... (ie: general "student" jobs)

Could you say

How old you are

How much you get paid/hour

What company you work for and

Whereabouts in the country you're working

My only interest here is that I'm being nosy :biggrin:

£7.13 p/h
Marks and Spencers
Cambridgeshire
Reply 192
£6.31/hr
kitchen assistant (not saying where)
:ninja:
Coventry
£4.69 ph
4 hours a week + overtime
Well known clothing store with the name of a bird :wink:

I know it goes up to £5.40 when I turn 18 but that's all I know :smile:
Original post by imjustrach
£4.69 ph
4 hours a week + overtime
Well known clothing store with the name of a bird :wink:

I know it goes up to £5.40 when I turn 18 but that's all I know :smile:

Peacocks?
I can't remember if I have posted before:
I am 17.
I am currently doing A Levels
I work 4 hours a week at £12 (in cash, legally) an hour.
My work finishes for around 3 weeks around Christmas, then continues at the same rate.
I work part time in Newlook and get paid £6.33 an hour (I'm 18)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 197
£6.71 in my 3rd job till Jan at least
Am 22 years old, working in a cafe, on £6.31 in till I learn more skills, I am doing 16-25 hours a week and currently studying for a fdsc degree.
Reply 199
Original post by naf786
Oh Oxford :tongue: you must of got very good A-Levels to get in there (I wasn't clever enough to get anywhere near Oxford :tongue: ). If you want to do Banking/Finance how come you doing Physics? I thought you would have done something like Economics.

Physics is problem solving! Very useful in banking indeed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending