The Student Room Group

Are these a levels okay for biochemistry??

I'm taking human biology from home, and I'm going to college in September and taking maths and chemistry? Will a university accept human biology, I took it because I prefer it over original biology but could change it I suppose ?
They should do, but you should check uni prospectuses for the course entry requirements.

I looked at doing marine biology courses. Most said you needed 1 or 2 relevant science a-levels and some of them included human biology on the list !! I think msot people would agree that human biology is closer/more relevant to biochem than marine biology !?!?

Where you might be disadvantaged is that it appears you will only have 3 a-levels. SOME of the people who apply, also apply to medicine and have something like 4.5 alevels that are all A/A* !! Although because their PS is aimed at medicine I think some of them don't get into the biochem choice.
Reply 2
Oh :frown: I thought because they only ask for 3 that's all I needed, I can't take more than 3 as I'm having a baby in October so Im going to struggle fitting in 3
Reply 3
Original post by Tasha44709
Oh :frown: I thought because they only ask for 3 that's all I needed, I can't take more than 3 as I'm having a baby in October so Im going to struggle fitting in 3

People tend to do 4 AS levels, then continue 3 to A2. I suppose you could email universities and ask on their policies, some may be based on UCAS points - in which case you would be at a disadvantage having not done the additional AS.
Congrats on the baby :biggrin:
Reply 4
They are fine

The fact that you are only taking 3 A levels will not be an issue, especially given your personal circumstances that can be explained in your application. With good grades you will have no problem finding a place. Check entry requirements at the universities that you plan to apply to.

Quick Reply

Latest