The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Hype

There are many things I don't quite fathom about people who want to really apply to Oxbridge and then end up getting rejected from Oxbridge.

1) Oxbridge isn't your life.
2) The main reason you probably wanted to go there in the first place was for the status.
3) You can get "status" from anywhere, as long as you work for it a major example - Lord Sugar (the first one I can think of, loads more)
4) What the heck do you think happens to everyone else who doesn't go to Oxbridge, do they all lead depressed lives and suffer....NO.
In fact you can still get a very well paid and respectable job, if you DON'T go to Oxbridge. Shocking I know.

Now get over it, just because you got rejected doesn't mean you should get affected by it.

Live your own life to the full, make your own future, don't copy a sheepish one.
Reply 1
I was never attracted by the status of an Oxbridge degree :smile: I assumed that both Universities would have a higher proportion of geeky types who were genuinely interested in their subject areas, and more likely to talk about their subject areas for fun as a result. I also assumed it would offer more ways of having fun than getting wasted/going clubbing which didn't appeal to me.
I was also really keen on the pretty architecture, having grown up in a country where the only buildings older than a century are huts, and most architecture is the concrete 60s variety or super modern.
Reply 2
You can get a well paid job without going to University as long as you have passion for something and have the "hustle" in your veins you should do fine.
Original post by blueray
There are many things I don't quite fathom about people who want to really apply to Oxbridge and then end up getting rejected from Oxbridge.

1) Oxbridge isn't your life.
2) The main reason you probably wanted to go there in the first place was for the status.
3) You can get "status" from anywhere, as long as you work for it a major example - Lord Sugar (the first one I can think of, loads more)
4) What the heck do you think happens to everyone else who doesn't go to Oxbridge, do they all lead depressed lives and suffer....NO.
In fact you can still get a very well paid and respectable job, if you DON'T go to Oxbridge. Shocking I know.

Now get over it, just because you got rejected doesn't mean you should get affected by it.

Live your own life to the full, make your own future, don't copy a sheepish one.

In my case I want to go to Cambridge or Oxford later in life because it looks good on your CV and it looks like a brilliant place to learn and study. Then again you could say the same thing about other universities when it comes to how well they teach/how nice it is. You're also right with #4 saying that you can get really good jobs regardless, but people really want to go there because it's easier to get those good jobs over anyone if you do.

So yeah, it's a great place to wish to go to but those who got rejected should realise it's not the end of the world, there are plenty of other wonderful universities that are probably willing to take them anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by yellowcopter
In my case I want to go to Cambridge or Oxford later in life because it looks good on your CV and it looks like a brilliant place to learn and study. Then again you could say the same thing about other universities when it comes to how well they teach/how nice it is. You're also right with #4 saying that you can get really good jobs regardless, but people really want to go there because it's easier to get those good jobs over anyone if you do.

So yeah, it's a great place to wish to go to but those who got rejected should realise it's not the end of the world, there are plenty of other wonderful universities that are probably willing to take them anyway.

I don't think Oxford/Cambridge status really matters in U.K. because all Universities are respected, some more than others however internationally Oxford and Cambridge are known as the "best" and most respected Universities in U.K. they are like the Ivy League of U.K. Universities and are the most recognized of all U.K. Universities internationally. So if you are looking for a career path which would require you to go and work somewhere in Japan or Germany going with the Oxford/Cambridge option would be a smart move.
Original post by Saibot
I don't think Oxford/Cambridge status really matters in U.K. because all Universities are respected, some more than others however internationally Oxford and Cambridge are known as the "best" and most respected Universities in U.K. they are like the Ivy League of U.K. Universities and are the most recognized of all U.K. Universities internationally. So if you are looking for a career path which would require you to go and work somewhere in Japan or Germany going with the Oxford/Cambridge option would be a smart move.

I agree completely :smile:
Oxford and Cambridge are known as the "best" and most respected Universities in U.K. they are like the Ivy League of U.K. Universities and are the most recognized of all U.K. Universities internationally.

Something enjoyably true of brits who'll say "Oxbridge is recognised internationally, like the Ivy League universities of the US" is that they cannot themselves name the Ivy League schools, ordinarily managing only the obvious three and then one of the others by guesswork.
Reply 7
Original post by cambio wechsel
Something enjoyably true of brits who'll say "Oxbridge is recognised internationally, like the Ivy League universities of the US" is that they cannot themselves name the Ivy League schools, ordinarily managing only the obvious three and then one of the others by guesswork.

That said, chances are those people aren't currently employed in reviewing CVs and confirming or rejecting job applications. I imagine such people, especially if they dealt with a high proportion of international applicants, would be able to give you a list.
Original post by bugsuper
That said, chances are those people aren't currently employed in reviewing CVs and confirming or rejecting job applications. I imagine such people, especially if they dealt with a high proportion of international applicants, would be able to give you a list.

I wonder. And my point is that a comparing with 'the Ivy league' for international reputation likely does Oxbridge a disservice. Oxford and Cambridge certainly are known in, the poster's examples, Japan and Germany. I sensibly wonder if the same is true of Dartmouth and Brown.

What makes the comparison still more jarring in this specific context is that there are in the US schools which domestically and internationally have more and better name recognition than half the ivy league, these including Stanford, Berkeley, and Caltech. And that is precisely what the comparison-making is not intended to suggest: that Oxbridge has domestic rivals with at least the same level of global brand value.
Reply 9
Not getting in to Oxford was one of the best things that ever happened to me though I do admit to being slightly disappointed when Cambridge turned me down for postgrad study.
I have no doubt that these are wonderful places to live and study but the course content of the degree I did is quite unique and I simply wouldn't have managed to do as much language and linguistics study which is where my strengths and preferences lie.
As well as this,I think the fact that you're not allowed to work part time at Oxford and Cambridge would have made for a very different (and I think not a v. positive) university experience.
Reply 10
Original post by sundogs
Not getting in to Oxford was one of the best things that ever happened to me though I do admit to being slightly disappointed when Cambridge turned me down for postgrad study.
I have no doubt that these are wonderful places to live and study but the course content of the degree I did is quite unique and I simply wouldn't have managed to do as much language and linguistics study which is where my strengths and preferences lie.
As well as this,I think the fact that you're not allowed to work part time at Oxford and Cambridge would have made for a very different (and I think not a v. positive) university experience.

Trust me, if you were working a part time job during term time you most definitely wouldn't be having a positive experience - there's a reason they don't allow it, and it isn't because they stop people getting one because they can.

Also, a lot of people do essentially work part-time on things like rowing, or getting involved with university/college politics can easily take up enough time to be classed a part-time job.
Reply 11
Original post by Noble.
Trust me, if you were working a part time job during term time you most definitely wouldn't be having a positive experience - there's a reason they don't allow it, and it isn't because they stop people getting one because they can.

Also, a lot of people do essentially work part-time on things like rowing, or getting involved with university/college politics can easily take up enough time to be classed a part-time job.

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the policy itself is bad given the short terms and high workload but more the fact that there are such short terms with a lot to cram in means that part time work is outlawed (not sure if my wording has made the distinction clear).

My term was just 2 weeks longer but that meant that I could hold down a number of part time jobs which taught me valuable skills and really bulked out the CV and meant I could be really actively involved in the union and extracurriculars too. I worked mainly because I loved it and the money was an added bonus. I would hate somebody telling me that I'm not allowed to or for a cramped term to mean that this wasn't possible. I don't think the teaching I received or my achievements are at all subpar and (though they have serious limitations) the university league tables back me up. What's most important for me though is the fact that I got a decent degree while learning what it means to work and earn and also to have fun. I don't think I would have that kind of experience had my Oxford application come back successful.

Just a different point of view.
Reply 12
Original post by Craghyrax
I was never attracted by the status of an Oxbridge degree :smile: I assumed that both Universities would have a higher proportion of geeky types who were genuinely interested in their subject areas, and more likely to talk about their subject areas for fun as a result. I also assumed it would offer more ways of having fun than getting wasted/going clubbing which didn't appeal to me.
I was also really keen on the pretty architecture, having grown up in a country where the only buildings older than a century are huts, and most architecture is the concrete 60s variety or super modern.

BS :lol:
Geek types are in most universities!
Some nice buildings abroad as well :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by blueray
BS :lol:
Geek types are in most universities!
Some nice buildings abroad as well :tongue:

Actually, in my experience, Cambridge is massively more geekish than most unis. For me, a typical conversation with the people I live with will revolve around discussing the latest thing we've learnt, and how it fits in with everything else that we've learnt and what everyone else is doing. As soon as I get home, that stops, and having asked people at other unis, it just doesn't happen elsewhere (Oxford and maybe Durham excepted, I haven't asked anyone from there). There's an atmosphere of curiosity - universal geekishness, if you will - that I gather you don't really get in other places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending