The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

How lenient is Sheffield for biomed? Missing offers...

I got offered AAB for biomed and am resitting grades in my gap year (I got BBC first time round)

I think I'll get ABB though, my insurance is the same grades.... (I didn't get offers lower than AAB, but put an insurance anyway)

Basically I think I fluffed up my chem exam today and most certainly don't think I can get an A in chem now so I'll be stuck with ABB.

Do you think they might still let me in? :bawling: I'm so scared.

Any help?
Reply 1
I'm in the same situation, but for economics. I have an AAB offer but it's going to be a close call whether I get that second A or not, and I'm worried my unit 4 econ exam might pull me down to a B if it wasn't good enough.

I did find this though:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/schools/he-guidance-events-activities/resources-schools/admissionsfaq2013

'As Universities now have more freedom to recruit students achieving ABB or above at A level, there may well be more flexibility in August for an applicant who achieves slightly less than their AAB+ offer. Applicants should contact their 'Firm' choice in August for guidance if they just miss their grades.'

Seeing that put my mind at ease a little :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by gapyearhopeful
I got offered AAB for biomed and am resitting grades in my gap year (I got BBC first time round)

I think I'll get ABB though, my insurance is the same grades.... (I didn't get offers lower than AAB, but put an insurance anyway)

Basically I think I fluffed up my chem exam today and most certainly don't think I can get an A in chem now so I'll be stuck with ABB.

Do you think they might still let me in? :bawling: I'm so scared.

Any help?

Probably not. If you're talking about OCR Chem F325, then it's quite likely that grade boundary will be really low as this paper was harder than Jan 2013 which had grade boundary of 70/100 for an A.
Reply 3
Original post by Rtcw
Probably not. If you're talking about OCR Chem F325, then it's quite likely that grade boundary will be really low as this paper was harder than Jan 2013 which had grade boundary of 70/100 for an A.

I did a different exam board. Have you had experience with Sheff rejecting you for missing your offer of a grade? Or do you know anyone else? I know it's pretty unlikely that I'll be able to get in despite missing my offer so I'm hoping I'll be able to literally beg admissions on results day. :emo: Wonder how much good that'll really do. Thank you for your reply.
Reply 4
I did a different exam board. Have you had experience with Sheff rejecting you for missing your offer of a grade? Or do you know anyone else? I know it's pretty unlikely that I'll be able to get in despite missing my offer so I'm hoping I'll be able to literally beg admissions on results day. :emo: Wonder how much good that'll really do. Thank you for your reply.

Nope, I'm just a randomer who did chemistry with OCR.
Reply 5
Original post by jordanW241
I'm in the same situation, but for economics. I have an AAB offer but it's going to be a close call whether I get that second A or not, and I'm worried my unit 4 econ exam might pull me down to a B if it wasn't good enough.

I did find this though:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/schools/he-guidance-events-activities/resources-schools/admissionsfaq2013

'As Universities now have more freedom to recruit students achieving ABB or above at A level, there may well be more flexibility in August for an applicant who achieves slightly less than their AAB+ offer. Applicants should contact their 'Firm' choice in August for guidance if they just miss their grades.'

Wow. I literally trolled around the website looking for an answer and couldn't find much yet this is on there. This really has put me at ease a little too. It's definitely the kind of answer I was looking for...and it's slightly positive. It'll be literally scraping an A for me too but in two subjects (I've got the first A already) yet I dont think I've done well enough for either...

I think I'm just a little nervous after my chem exam, so I got panicked. Considering I had to self teach myself for my resits (and I had a lot) hopefully they might let me in if I do beg and beg.

Thank you so much and good luck in your results. Hope we both get in. :colondollar: :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Rtcw
Nope, I'm just a randomer who did chemistry with OCR.

Haha, well thanks for your reply anyway. :smile:
Reply 7
Wow. I literally trolled around the website looking for an answer and couldn't find much yet this is on there. This really has put me at ease a little too. It's definitely the kind of answer I was looking for...and it's slightly positive. It'll be literally scraping an A for me too but in two subjects (I've got the first A already) yet I dont think I've done well enough for either...

I think I'm just a little nervous after my chem exam, so I got panicked. Considering I had to self teach myself for my resits (and I had a lot) hopefully they might let me in if I do beg and beg.

Thank you so much and good luck in your results. Hope we both get in. :colondollar: :smile:

Yeah, it's definitely reassuring. I just stumbled across it on Google. I'm trying not to worry too much though - I think it might be nerves too. It's only natural when so much expectation lies on an exam to worry and ponder over whether you answered everything correctly etc. It could turn out that we've both done better than expected :smile:

I might drop Sheffield an email soon anyway asking what the situation is. They'll probably give a bog-standard 'we couldn't say at this point' but its worth a try. I'd be interested to know if anyone got in on ABB last year at the very least.

Good luck to you too :smile: Hopefully I'll see you there if all goes to plan! :tongue:
Reply 8
Yeah, it's definitely reassuring. I just stumbled across it on Google. I'm trying not to worry too much though - I think it might be nerves too. It's only natural when so much expectation lies on an exam to worry and ponder over whether you answered everything correctly etc. It could turn out that we've both done better than expected :smile:

I might drop Sheffield an email soon anyway asking what the situation is. They'll probably give a bog-standard 'we couldn't say at this point' but its worth a try. I'd be interested to know if anyone got in on ABB last year at the very least.

Good luck to you too :smile: Hopefully I'll see you there if all goes to plan! :tongue:

Ughh yeah you're right, we're probably stressing too much. :redface: I just want to go to Sheff soooo much.

That's a good idea, I'm going to do the same - or maybe try to call but I don't want to come across stupid or something. Not sure how oversubscribed my course is but maybe I could also ask that. Any how I'll email them too and if I get a proper response I'll update it on here.

Hehe hopefully. Thanks. :bigsmile:

I did find this though:

I am in the same situation this year, I have an AAB offer for BSc Economics and I am predicted ABB, can I ask I ask what you got and if you managed to get in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending